Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's Not the Defense
The Cincinnati defense has played very well over the past two weeks, allowing only 17 and 16 points, respectively, against the Raiders and the Steelers.  Lou Anarumo is actually improving his defensive unit which is more than I can say for Brian Callahan and Zac Taylor on the offensive side of the ball.  Today against the Steelers I saw some creative stunts by the defensive line, some heads-up linebacker play from Germaine Pratt, and even an interception.  It looked like Sam Hubbard was in on almost every play and combining him with Chase Young next year should make opposing running backs very nervous.

Allowing less than 20 points should lead to lots of wins -- but with an inept offense it's not going to happen.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Over the last 2 weeks it wasn't. But, I don't know that we can say they're improved.

The Raiders benched Carr against the Jets and had 3 points last time I checked. The Steelers had basically mostly 2nd string guys in and beat us with a 4th string QB. They had around 150 rushing yards too...with backup guys. One was plucked off of a practice squad this week. They also had a practice squad WR make plays against us.

Over the season? They've been terrible. We've given up by far the most 20+ yard plays in the NFL this year.

Seeing Webb and the other QB both on the ground while Washington scored on a 78 yard TD.

The Steelers beat us with a 4th string TD. Good defenses...don't like a 90 yard drive happen there.
Reply/Quote
I don't know that we can declare either unit improved either with the Bengals. They've shown that they can play well one game and look terrible the next on offense or defense.

For whatever, the Steelers didn't use misdirection and wildcat this game and tried running up the middle on us. They still had success...but not as much as they would running outside.
Reply/Quote
The defense isn't that good .
Vigil Webb should not be starting at all
Good Defenses don't let Devlin Hodges beat them
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 06:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Over the last 2 weeks it wasn't. But, I don't know that we can say they're improved.

The Raiders benched Carr against the Jets and had 3 points last time I checked. The Steelers had basically mostly 2nd string guys in and beat us with a 4th string QB. They had around 150 rushing yards too...with backup guys. One was plucked off of a practice squad this week. They also had a practice squad WR make plays against us.

Over the season? They've been terrible. We've given up by far the most 20+ yard plays in the NFL this year.

Seeing Webb and the other QB both on the ground while Washington scored on a 78 yard TD.

The Steelers beat us with a 4th string TD. Good defenses...don't like a 90 yard drive happen there.

I don't think he was saying they are good, just that they are showing improvement and signs of life, which is true. They are playing better then earlier in the season, and good enough to actually win a few games.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
It's not the Defense? Wow, what a relief. For a moment, it looked like Safety Jesse Bates III, was the one who got face planted to the ground with a half-assed stiff arm, on that 79 yard TD..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 06:26 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Cincinnati defense has played very well over the past two weeks, allowing only 17 and 16 points, respectively, against the Raiders and the Steelers. 

The Steelers scored 7 points against the Browns last week. The Raiders scored 3 points against the Jets this week.

The Steelers rushed for 160 yards today and the Bengals D allowed another huge play TD in the passing game.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 06:26 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Cincinnati defense has played very well over the past two weeks, allowing only 17 and 16 points, respectively, against the Raiders and the Steelers.  Lou Anarumo is actually improving his defensive unit which is more than I can say for Brian Callahan and Zac Taylor on the offensive side of the ball.  Today against the Steelers I saw some creative stunts by the defensive line, some heads-up linebacker play from Germaine Pratt, and even an interception.  It looked like Sam Hubbard was in on almost every play and combining him with Chase Young next year should make opposing running backs very nervous.

Allowing less than 20 points should lead to lots of wins -- but with an inept offense it's not going to happen.

Well, the lowly Jets, a team some believe the Bengals can beat, held the Raiders to only 3 points, a team we gave up 17 to last week.

The Jets also scored 34 points against the Raiders, a team we managed only 10 points against last week.

The head coach and his scheme need to go.

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 06:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's not the Defense?  Wow, what a relief.  For a moment, it looked like Safety Jesse Bates III, was the one who got face planted to the ground with a half-assed stiff arm, on that 79 yard TD..

Webb...but yes. My point too. Good defenses don't let a 4th string QB drive it 90 yards for a TD.

The improvement is we aren't giving up record breaking yards.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 06:35 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I don't think he was saying they are good, just that they are showing improvement and signs of life, which is true. They are playing better then earlier in the season, and good enough to actually win a few games.

Exactly right.  The Bengals' defense, though improving, still isn't NFL caliber.  It's better than last year and better than earlier in 2019 but they have a long way to go to even get to average.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 06:44 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Exactly right.  The Bengals' defense, though improving, still isn't NFL caliber.  It's better than last year and better than earlier in 2019 but they have a long way to go to even get to average.

A LOT of the 'improvement' is the teams we're playing.

IF the Steelers had Roethlisberger, Juju, Conner, and Pouncey...they would have scored 35 on us.
Reply/Quote
They're both bad but I'd say the offense sucks a bit more.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 06:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The Steelers scored 7 points against the Browns last week. The Raiders scored 3 points against the Jets this week.

The Steelers rushed for 160 yards today and the Bengals D allowed another huge play TD in the passing game.

The Bengals offense did nothing to keep the defense off the field.

The defense is not great by any stretch but if your offense cannot control the game and keeps handing the ball back to their opponents the stats will never look good. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 06:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: A LOT of the 'improvement' is the teams we're playing.

IF the Steelers had Roethlisberger, Juju, Conner, and Pouncey...they would have scored 35 on us.

you meant 53 didn't you
Reply/Quote
They played against the worst Steelers offense you'll ever see and a Raiders offense that just hung 3 points on the Jets. They didn't lose us these games, but the points allowed is indicative of the opposition imo.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 06:47 PM)Synric Wrote: The Bengals offense did nothing to keep the defense off the field.

The defense is not great by any stretch but if your offense cannot control the game and keeps handing the ball back to their opponents the stats will never look good. 

They lost to a 4th string QB on a team where almost all their other starters are hurt or suspended.

For the Bengals that would be...
1st Dalton
2nd Finley
3rd Dololololgalala
4th Somebody Worse Than All Of Them

The stats should look good.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 06:26 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Cincinnati defense has played very well over the past two weeks, allowing only 17 and 16 points, respectively, against the Raiders and the Steelers.  Lou Anarumo is actually improving his defensive unit which is more than I can say for Brian Callahan and Zac Taylor on the offensive side of the ball.  Today against the Steelers I saw some creative stunts by the defensive line, some heads-up linebacker play from Germaine Pratt, and even an interception.  It looked like Sam Hubbard was in on almost every play and combining him with Chase Young next year should make opposing running backs very nervous.

You and I said it before FIK.

IF and ONLY IF you want to win andl give the offense the best chance these last 5 games, now that the defense seems to have a handle ...  put Dalton in!!

Finley is NOT their future and they are going to have wait until next year to find a future QB!

NOW, if behind the scenes they are not TRYING to win, then status quo!
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2019, 07:36 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: They lost to a 4th string QB on a team where almost all their other starters are hurt or suspended.

For the Bengals that would be...
1st Dalton
2nd Finley
3rd Dololololgalala
4th Somebody Worse Than All Of Them

The stats should look good.

Hi. 

When you're offense cannot sustain a drive, cannot keep your defense off the field, and give opposing offenses opportunities over and over and over....Stats will not be pretty.

You control football games through the offense. You have to move the ball you have to score points...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I think the defense could survive if they canned their 3rd rate coordinator and added about 3 linebackers. Every linebacker not named Pratt is hot garbage. They need to sign a starter, draft one in the first 3 rounds, and add some fresh backups.

Other than that, I think the d-line gives them something to work with. The DBs are just okay, but could probably use an upgrade or 2 as well. maybe Phillips will be that. Basically, there are so many problems to fix on this roster that I fell that that group can wait. it's not like they're agin to contend in 2020. Fixing this team will take 3 or 4 good drafts.
Reply/Quote
L agree with the OP that the D is not the reason we have lost the last couple of weeks and the best thing is it appears the younger players are the ones stepping up. Billings is good, Pratt is good, Hubbard is good. We need a DB. Folks around here hate Shawn Williams but he's the best we have in the D backfield. WJIII has disappointed, Bates has nit followed up a good 1st year. Webb has no business on an NFL team and Dennard should be a Safety.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote