Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's Preseason. Come On Now
(08-26-2015, 09:31 AM)kramer1 Wrote: What is disturbing, and I don't see how anyone can argue against this point, is that there is a pattern of ineptitude here. It's no small sample size, either. It's been put through the wringer. It's been tested and verified. The problems have been acknowledged by coaches and players alike. They've been talked about by upper management to radio talk show hosts on down to the fans for years. Nothing has changed. Talk is cheap. I'm tired of talk. I'm tired of hype and hope. Show me. If you can't show me then that means you're not capable of implementing the changes that you yourself have acknowledged.

You're comparing pre-season scrimmages to games that matter in the season, and I can't see how YOU can't see that.  That what you see in the pre-season disturbs you, says more about you than the Bengals.

These glorified scrimmages are about 3 things:
Knocking the Rust off
Evaluating Young Players
Not getting injured.

That's it.  If you look for more than that, then that's on you, not the Bengals because it means you just don't get it and likely won't.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We are just lucky this game happened now. I remember that Preseason game where we beat the shit
out of the Pats 31-3 or somethin like that and Belicheat kept his starters in clear into the 2nd half.

They went 14-2 that season and won the Superbowl. Preseason is some weird stuff man.

Cannot take much from it sometimes. The good is that Geno looks to be back, that is all i know and
mostly all i care about besides limited injuries. Happy that Green and Dalton are doing their turnover
battle now instead of later as well.

Need to learn from that pathetic appearance where the Bengals hardly appeared.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 11:34 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Need to learn from that pathetic appearance where the Bengals hardly appeared.

Which game are you talking about?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 04:17 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: Why does it always seem we have to lay an egg to come out fired up in future weeks though? Doesn't that speak to coaching? Wouldn't a good coach have us motivated and fired up every week? 

many of the best teams in football..year in and year out have lousy preseason records dude
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 09:54 AM)Stewy Wrote: You're comparing pre-season scrimmages to games that matter in the season, and I can't see how YOU can't see that.  That what you see in the pre-season disturbs you, says more about you than the Bengals.

Knocking the Rust off
Evaluating Young Players
Not getting injured.

That's it.  If you look for more than that, then that's on you, not the Bengals because it means you just don't get it and likely won't.

EXACTLY >>CORRECT CORRECT CORRECT
Reply/Quote
This week has convinced me football is like a soap opera for some fans. Despite the fact the game meant nothing, despite the fact the team was using a vanilla scheme, despite the fact staying healthy is more important then beating a team in the 2nd week of a meaningless season the sky is falling mentality continues.

Logic has left the room entirely but the drama is alive and well.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 12:49 PM)ExtraRadiohead Wrote: This week has convinced me football is like a soap opera for some fans. Despite the fact the game meant nothing, despite the fact the team was using a vanilla scheme, despite the fact staying healthy is more important then beating a team in the 2nd week of a meaningless season the sky is falling mentality continues.

Logic has left the room entirely but the drama is alive and well.

I agree with what you're saying mostly. But the thing that gives it that little extra pizaazz that it really shouldn't is that once again when the lights were on for a National Audience we look like the keystone cops and can't even get out of our own way.

It's a theme that has never really been fully broken around here !
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 08:38 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Were they in specific situations where they seemed willing to give up the short pass if it meant stopping a potential big play on a blitz?

I don't know the exact plays you're talking about, so I'm just guessing here, but it seems like they may not have cared too much about a few yard gain in those scenarios.

From what I watched, it seemed like there was rarely a Bengal's DB in the picture on downs such as second and five, when the completion was 8 yards.  It just was puzzling.  I hear what you are saying....you can give up 10 on 3rd and 20, but it wasn't like that.  I was surprised on plays where the pass rush got there, and the QB got rid of it early, there wasn't a DB in sight.  On many different downs and distance.  I kept hearing "more press coverage"...I didn't see it at all.
Reply/Quote
It's just preseason, folks. When we come out that flat and bumbling in a game that counts, then I'll be concerned. Oh wait....
Reply/Quote
Scores don't matter, but this roster battle is the fiercest in recent memory. Sadly, the Oline battle has been short-circuited by injuries. We're not as strong there as I'd hoped.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 01:02 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: From what I watched, it seemed like there was rarely a Bengal's DB in the picture on downs such as second and five, when the completion was 8 yards.  It just was puzzling.  I hear what you are saying....you can give up 10 on 3rd and 20, but it wasn't like that.  I was surprised on plays where the pass rush got there, and the QB got rid of it early, there wasn't a DB in sight.  On many different downs and distance.  I kept hearing "more press coverage"...I didn't see it at all.

they seemed to be playing a lot of zone coverage in that game...

Preseason play calling doesnt always reflect what will be called in the regular season
Reply/Quote
Pre-season is about the process not the results.
Reply/Quote
You have to take what the Bengals starters do with a grain of salt. They're trying out things and seeing what works and what doesn't. Throw in the fact that the Bengals don't have battles to see who's starting. The players who try their hardest are in with the 2nd and 3rd stringers.

But that's with any preseason game.

If you thought we were going to the Super Bowl after the first preseason game, you don't know football. If you think we're going 1-15 after the second preseason game, you don't know football.

It's preseason. The Detroit Lions won all their preseason games only to go 0-16 the same season. Remember that.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 02:28 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: they seemed to be playing a lot of zone coverage in that game...

Preseason play calling doesnt always reflect what will be called in the regular season

I understand, and I am not trying to be a chicken little here with the sky falling, but if 99.9% of the people in the world realize the Bengals have a problem with pass rush and you bring some blitz packages, shouldn't you also be practicing some press coverage to defend those dump passes?  I understand you might not run everything in preseason, but it makes sense to me to practice something you haven't done much of against another team. 
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 03:41 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I understand, and I am not trying to be a chicken little here with the sky falling, but if 99.9% of the people in the world realize the Bengals have a problem with pass rush and you bring some blitz packages, shouldn't you also be practicing some press coverage to defend those dump passes?  I understand you might not run everything in preseason, but it makes sense to me to practice something you haven't done much of against another team. 

i cant speak for the whole game but during the first half the announcer said he liked what guenther was doing... not so much in a play calling instance but from a point that he was only rushing 4 the DL and seeing what they could/would do by themselves. without exocite blitzes and things. Which is what the preseason is for, analizing players on certain assignments without giving away anything that another team can learn from.

And after Mon they can see they got some work to do......

Maybe this game they wanted to practice some zone coverage assignments more. and we know last year we were dead last in pressures... But just the year before with basically the same presonel we were 3rd in the league. with the major differences being health of the DL and the new DC.... so this year we will see which of those 2 things had the bigger impact.. Im guessing health of the DL.

Overall to me it feels like the Defense is missing its field general... So heres hoping burficts on the fast track back.... (havent heard an update in a while since they were hoping for preseason game 3.)
Reply/Quote
If anything that horrid performance reminded us how badly inconsisent they can be at times. Chances are that probably wont change when they lay some eggs this year, which I think is what worries a lot of fans, especially come January.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 09:54 AM)Stewy Wrote: You're comparing pre-season scrimmages to games that matter in the season, and I can't see how YOU can't see that.  That what you see in the pre-season disturbs you, says more about you than the Bengals.

Knocking the Rust off
Evaluating Young Players
Not getting injured.

Your reading comprehension is lacking. What do you think "it's no small sample size, either" refers to?

When was the last time the Bengals won a playoff game?
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 05:23 PM)Millhouse Wrote: If anything that horrid performance reminded us how badly inconsisent they can be at times. Chances are that probably wont change when they lay some eggs this year, which I think is what worries a lot of fans, especially come January.

History says there will be eggs.  It's practically guaranteed.  It's the thing which stands between us and all in.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 06:18 PM)kramer1 Wrote: Your reading comprehension is lacking. What do you think "it's no small sample size, either" refers to?

The Browns were 3-1 in 2013 in the preseason. Broncos were 2-2.

Those sure had implications on how that year would go.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 06:18 PM)kramer1 Wrote: Your reading comprehension is lacking. What do you think "it's no small sample size, either" refers to?

My reading comprehension is fine.  You equating preseason results with regular season results = you are stupid, but we already knew that.
Reply/Quote