Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's That Time Again... Cincy Trip!
Sorry to bother everyone, but my girlfriend and I are taking our second trip to Cincinnati this weekend and we need suggestions for a good restaurant to eat dinner! (I would've used the thread from last year, but its vanished, obviously)

Montgomery Inn was really good last year, but we wanna go somewhere new; any suggestions? Aside from MI and Italian...

Many thanks!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Arby's
Reply/Quote
I'm guessing you'll get some Skyline recommendations...
Reply/Quote
Fancy:

Carlo & Johnny's

Middle of the Road:

Any place up in Mt Adams - but parking sucks so park your car downtown and take a cab or Uber up there,
I am not a big fan but a lot of people like Buckhead on the river and I do admit eating on the river is rather fun,

Dives:

The Anchor Grill (Covington), Gourmet Chili (Newport), Camp Washington Chili (Cincinnati)

I feel good about these recommendations from when I was last there but it has been awhile - think all these places are still there...
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
help someone that doesn't understand.

To me, the cincinnati chilli thing looks like spaghetti. Why is it chilli?
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
Thanks, xxlt! Don't you guys have a Mexican joint too?

(11-23-2015, 02:27 AM)basballguy Wrote: help someone that doesn't understand.

To me, the cincinnati chilli thing looks like spaghetti. Why is it chilli?

That's a "three way," I think its called.

There are 2 main chili companies in the GCA: Gold Star and Skyline.

Gold Star is the more traditional, Ted-Mex Chili. If you have the chili over noodles/spaghetti (not sure which it is and yes, there IS a difference), with cheese, its a three-way, as there are three layers of food (cheese on top of chili, on top of Spaghetti).

Skyline is special: its Mediterranean chili, which is more like a savoury/spiced brown soup, with meat in it: it tastes absolutely AMAZING. The same rules for three-way, etc, apply here.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on the "way" description.
Reply/Quote
Go somewhere in OTR downtown. A lot of cool restaurants/shopping down there.

There is a place down there called Bakersfield. They serve taco/mexican fair. There Queso is bomb.

Just make sure you plan on waiting a little if you go on a weekend night. They have a bar and there is stuff to do around the restaurant so its not bad.

There is also another place down there called Pontiac (amazing BBQ) and The Eagle (Southern fair, really good fried chicken). I would check those places out as well. Have heard excellent things.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 09:26 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Thanks, xxlt! Don't you guys have a Mexican joint too?

That's a "three way," I think its called.

There are 2 main chili companies in the GCA: Gold Star and Skyline.

Gold Star is the more traditional, Ted-Mex Chili. If you have the chili over noodles/spaghetti (not sure which it is and yes, there IS a difference), with cheese, its a three-way, as there are three layers of food (cheese on top of chili, on top of Spaghetti).

Skyline is special: its Mediterranean chili, which is more like a savoury/spiced brown soup, with meat in it: it tastes absolutely AMAZING. The same rules for three-way, etc, apply here.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on the "way" description.

Gold Star offers a tex-mex i believe but its normal is also just like skylines.

the 3 way is the Noodles Meat Sauce( chili) and Cheese

4s add beans or onions and 5s add both

I believe Skyline uses a little cinnamon and goldstar uses brown sugar but i could have that backwards.

As far as eating while your here. If you dont have one near where you live and want a good beer check out the hofbrauhaus. Its across the river in newport (night across the street from Newport on the Levi if you need a landmark)

Its a traditional german beer hall(modeled after the one in munich germany) but man is their food good. and the beer is great.

http://www.hofbrauhausnewport.com/menu/

I wish i could give you a recommedation on a Mexican restraunt but outside of Alcapoco's here in Lebanon and El Rancho Grande elsewhere i dont know of many.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2015, 01:35 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Go somewhere in OTR downtown. A lot of cool restaurants/shopping down there.

There is a place down there called Bakersfield. They serve taco/mexican fair. There Queso is bomb.

Just make sure you plan on waiting a little if you go on a weekend night. They have a bar and there is stuff to do around the restaurant so its not bad.

There is also another place down there called Pontiac (amazing BBQ) and The Eagle (Southern fair, really good fried chicken). I would check those places out as well. Have heard excellent things.

(11-23-2015, 06:40 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Gold Star offers a tex-mex i believe but its normal is also just like skylines.

the 3 way is the Noodles Meat Sauce( chili)  and Cheese

4s add beans or onions and 5s add both

I believe Skyline uses a little cinnamon and goldstar uses brown sugar but i could have that backwards.

As far as eating while your here.   If you dont have one near where you live and want a good beer check out the hofbrauhaus.   Its across the river in newport (night across the street from Newport on the Levi if you need a landmark)  

Its a traditional german beer hall(modeled after the one in munich germany) but man is their food good. and the beer is great.

http://www.hofbrauhausnewport.com/menu/

I wish i could give you a recommedation on a Mexican restraunt but outside of Alcapoco's here in Lebanon and El Rancho Grande  elsewhere i dont know of many.

Thank you SO MUCH, everyone, I think we'll be good with the suggestions :)
Reply/Quote
I second the recommendation of Hofbrauhaus. Great beer brewed on site, and good German fare.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2015, 07:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Arby's

Hilarious Too funny Fred. Everyone no that Wendy's is 5star 
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm gonna have to kick it with Weezy some day. He always has the best food/beer suggestions on the forums.

Truck, when you're here, we'll be your tourguides.

What kinda food do you want? I have a suggestion for everything now.

Eli's BBQ, Bakersfield, Zip's, Sebastian's are great for BBQ, Mexican, Burgers, and Greek respectively. Do you dig Sushi or seafood?

Go to Rhinegeist...they have great fresh beer and they recently expanded.
Go to the 16 bit barcade....booze and classic video games can't be beat.

I'll give you more suggestions later.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 08:51 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I'm gonna have to kick it with Weezy some day. He always has the best food/beer suggestions on the forums.

What kinda food do you want?  I have a suggestion for everything now.

Eli's BBQ, Bakersfield, Zip's, Sebastian's are great for BBQ, Mexican, Burgers, and Greek respectively.  Do you dig Sushi or seafood?  

All good suggestions! 

We are just too hipster guys, living in this hipster world, doing hipster things. ThumbsUp 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2015, 08:51 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I'm gonna have to kick it with Weezy some day. He always has the best food/beer suggestions on the forums.

What kinda food do you want? I have a suggestion for everything now.

Eli's BBQ, Bakersfield, Zip's, Sebastian's are great for BBQ, Mexican, Burgers, and Greek respectively. Do you dig Sushi or seafood?

tried to go to that 16 bit barcade but it was too full to get in the door let alone move around...

Havent been to Rhinegeist... but MadTree Brewery is good brew and they have a food place inside as well..

http://www.madtreebrewing.com/taproom/
Reply/Quote
Dangler recommended a place to me. It was over in Newport. Called "Tube Steak Under the Bridge" or something like that.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2015, 10:52 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: tried to go to that 16 bit barcade but it was too full to get in the door let alone move around...

Havent been to Rhinegeist...  but MadTree Brewery is good brew and they have a food place inside as well..

http://www.madtreebrewing.com/taproom/

MadTree is awesome, I just prefer Rhinegeist's beer and location. 
LFG  

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2015, 03:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dangler recommended a place to me.  It was over in Newport.  Called "Tube Steak Under the Bridge" or something like that.

Whoa, Fred.  Turns out we have met....I just didn't know it until now.  Dangler and I have been luring mildly-out-of-shape-middle-aged-white-men to that bridge for years.

How'd you like the selection?
LFG  

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2015, 03:21 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: MadTree is awesome, I just prefer Rhinegeist's beer and location. 

Because it is insanely better....and MadTree is good...Rhinegeist is just amazing.
So yeah Truck, if you want some good Cincy brewed brew, hit up Rhinegeist.

What's your favorite Rhinegeist? 
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2015, 03:25 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Because it is insanely better....and MadTree is good...Rhinegeist is just amazing.
So yeah Truck, if you want some good Cincy brewed brew, hit up Rhinegeist.

What's your favorite Rhinegeist? 

My favorite one that they can is probably Truth.  They occasionally have one on tap though called Andromeda which is the best beer that I've ever had.
LFG  

Reply/Quote
(11-25-2015, 03:33 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: My favorite one that they can is probably Truth.  They occasionally have one on tap though called Andromeda which is the best beer that I've ever had.

Truth is one of my Goto.... (ive had the beers just never been to the place)

I like madtree's PsycHOPathy ipa as well... they are kinda similar.

Havent seen Andromeda but ill have to check it out. Still nothing has come close to dethroning HofBrau's Dunkel for me. its just hard to drive an hour for a beer lol (a liter one at that and then drive home cause 1 liter is never enough)
Reply/Quote