Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's Votto for Padres Holds Set Up Relief Pitcher
It looks like Reds paid too much for this reliever far from great. Now I see Reds followed by not accepting the option on Votto. Joey Votto career in Cincinnati is over. So Reds put the Votto option year money into the Bullpen. On that I have no problem. Reds have other 1st Basemen. It's a long season and Reds always burn out their bullpen by mid season by using so many each game and over work. So adding to the bullpen is OK. They also have Pagan coming IF he passes his physical option out of the deal.

So this is basically a trade of Joey Votto for Nick Martinez. Reds shift money for Votto over to money for Martinez. One up side is Martinez has an opt out contract for Reds and he may be just a one year player in Cincinnati. This is NOT a 10 year with no trade contract as Votto had.

So we say adios to The Moose and Votto contracts. I wish the Reds weren't rushing out to spend money, but I have no problem bolstering the Bullpen. A few years back, The Kansas City Royals had a very good season due to a strong Bullpen. So did the 1990 Reds. The Reds Bullpen in 2023 was weak in some areas. They have a good Closer, but you need to hold the 6th, 7th and 8th inning to get to The Closer, and Reds had problems in that part of Bullpen.

I must remind fans that Reds had to keep paying The Moose up until season ended. So Reds had to carry the weight of both Votto and Moose contracts. That ends now. So even with bringing in some Bullpen help, Reds are far better on payroll. Reds owners who have been crying about losing money since No Fans Covid 2020, can now bank some money, because they no longer pay Moose or Votto. I say bring back The Viking Helmet if I'm the Reds owners. Fans love the Viking Helmet and it doesn't cost Reds owners any money.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I kind of hate to see Joey go, but that's life.  Reds could have done far worse than paying the kings ransom for a sub .200 hitter in his 40s.. 
With every team having several pitchers who can hit 100+ every time they step on the mound you really need more arms to win the war of attrition in the arm injury battles. Rosters probably need to expand just to compensate for the attrition.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 01:53 PM)grampahol Wrote: I kind of hate to see Joey go, but that's life.  Reds could have done far worse than paying the kings ransom for a sub .200 hitter in his 40s.. 
With every team having several pitchers who can hit 100+ every time they step on the mound you really need more arms to win the war of attrition in the arm injury battles. Rosters probably need to expand just to compensate for the attrition.. 

I understand fans missing Votto. 

I won't be one of them, because these are children's games being played by young adults.  The days of crying over a Ruth or Dimaggio retiring have changed due to the now Mega Million huge contracts of old veteran modern day players.  Yes, in his day Votto was good, as was Griffey Jr in his day.  But I have seen that once they are gone, it frees up a ton of Payroll, and that is a good thing.  So Votto is gone, but here comes De La Cruz and a good young team to get excited about.  The Reds in 1997 had to say good bye to Conception and hello to Larkin in order to have the 1990 World Series.  So call it adding by subtraction maybe.  When Griffey Jr gone, Reds were able to go from Last with Griffey Jr to Play-Offs without Griffey Jr.   The payroll cut of no more Votto or Moose contracts now paves the way for this new exciting young Reds team.  So bring back the Viking helmet and De La Cruz in 2024, because this team could make a move on First Place in the NL Central. 

I'm guessing Reds GM looked at the Bullpen and who they have in the minors, and the minors just aren't ready to fill the holes in the Bullpen. This could really be a good team if they could build a Nasty Boys Bullpen to go with the young players and young starting pitching. It worked in 1990.

Man, if Hunter Greene and Ashcraft and Lodolo and other starters could just stay healthy one season, watch out MLB, here come da' Reds.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote