Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's a Wee Bit Chillyyyyyy Out There...
(01-06-2016, 12:17 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Where the hell did I say that?  I asked why, if you think it instills so much confidence and better prepares us, teams like New England, Pittsburgh, etc, win without preparing the same way.

Clearly, not practicing in the cold hasn't affected these teams one bit.  And there isn't a single thing to suggest it's helps us one but either.  Without an ounce of post season success it's hard to argue that we've benefited from it.

Lastly, what's with the ever changing font size?

Teams with indoor facilities also practice outside in the cold at times.  I see it all the time on Around the League on the NFL Network.
Reply/Quote
Maybe Marv should talk to Ochocinco about using these:

[Image: ocho.jpg]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 12:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote:   Where is your proof that the Bengals wanted to use the facility but were denied access. 

Or are you are just making up shit to whine about without having a clue as to what was going on.
Where did I claim that to be the case? (That the Bengals were denied access)  I'm just pointing out that they weren't there.  Whether it's because they deemed it unnecessary or the fact it was booked is really besides the point.  It was pretty cold yesterday and we practiced outside.

Now any of you are more than welcome to argue the reasoning behind that, it's effectiveness, and/or whether or matters 'till the cows come home.  Go at it.  That's an argument many of us had forever.

All I'm pointing out is, like usual, we're outside.  So when this argument comes up again, be it in the Spring or Fall, don't tell me we already have a facility.  Don't pretend we can (and do) just use UC facility as much as other team's use theirs.  Because we simply don't use it often.  Maybe 10 times total in 3 years.

So from now on the arguments should be against using them at all.  Don't simplify it by claiming we have one.  Yesterday is more proof we don't.  That was all I was trying to say.
Reply/Quote
We all know that Bengals are in a unique position by being a northern team without an indoor practice facility. We know that most colleges and even many high schools have them. I guess we are to somehow believe Mike Brown knows better than the rest of the football world.

What it probably comes down to is Mike still wanting to be like his dad. "They never had one so why would we"? I personally think it is him holding on to the last few remnants of a time gone by. I personally don't think we will see an indoor facility in his lifetime.

For everyone arguing that "it doesn't matter and it's not that cold", they were talking about Manning on NFL Network a couple days ago. All the ex players agreed that being exposed to the cold causes your ailments to flare up, aches and pains to be magnified, and for you not to heal as quickly. I think they probably know what they are talking about.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 01:12 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Where did I claim that to be the case? (That the Bengals were denied access)  I'm just pointing out that they weren't there.  Whether it's because they deemed it unnecessary or the fact it was booked is really besides the point.  It was pretty cold yesterday and we practiced outside.

Now any of you are more than welcome to argue the reasoning behind that, it's effectiveness, and/or whether or matters 'till the cows come home.  Go at it.  That's an argument many of us had forever.

All I'm pointing out is, like usual, we're outside.  So when this argument comes up again, be it in the Spring or Fall, don't tell me we already have a facility.  Don't pretend we can (and do) just use UC facility as much as other team's use theirs.  Because we simply don't use it often.  Maybe 10 times total in 3 years.

So from now on the arguments should be against using them at all.  Don't simplify it by claiming we have one.  Yesterday is more proof we don't.  That was all I was trying to say.

Please post the source for your claim that the Bengals only use the facility 10 times a year and that is much less than other teams.

How many times have the Patriots practiced inside this year?  I saw then om NFL Network working outside this week.  Why do you think they are doing that if the have an indoor facility?

I am glad to have this discussion as soon as I see some basis for the discussion.  So far all I have seen is you just making up stuff.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 12:21 PM)Aquapod770 Wrote: hypothermia is a great way to prepare for the Steelers!  Mellow

That should wake them up!!!  at least........  should be done pregame and at halftime.........  LOL!
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 01:23 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: For everyone arguing that "it doesn't matter and it's not that cold", they were talking about Manning on NFL Network a couple days ago.  All the ex players agreed that being exposed to the cold causes your ailments to flare up, aches and pains to be magnified, and for you not to heal as quickly.  I think they probably know what they are talking about.

Also in bitter cold the body uses a lot of energy just keeping warm.  It is impossible to run as long or get in as many reps outside in the cold without wearing the players out.

But the Bengals do practice indoors at time.  All I want to see is some numbers on how many times the Bengals practice inside compared to other teams.  If we arereally practicing outside more than other teams then it could be a problem.  But I have seen video of other playoff teams outside, so I am not sure where Wes is getting the stats on how often the Bengals practice outside compared to other teams.  it seems that his entire argument is based on seeing them practice obe time in 30 degree weather.

So lets see the actual numbers so we can have a real debate, because right now it seems like he is just making up stuff to whine about.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 01:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Also in bitter cold the bodyu uses a lot of energy just keeping warm.  It is impossible to run as long or get in as many reps outside in the cold without wearing the players out.

But the Bengals to practice indoors at time.  All I want to see is some numbers on how many times the Bengals practice inside compared to other teams.  If we arereally practicing outside more than other teams then it could be a problem.  But I have seen video of other playoff teams outside, so I am not sure where Wes is getting the stats on how often the Bengals practice outside compared to other teams.  it seems that his entire argument is based on seeing them practice obe time in 30 degree weather.

So lets see the actual numbers so we can have a real debate, because right now it seems like he is just making up stuff to whine about.

I don't know the numbers, and would agree we need to see a comparison with other teams that do have their own facility.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 01:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Also in bitter cold the bodyu uses a lot of energy just keeping warm.  It is impossible to run as long or get in as many reps outside in the cold without wearing the players out.

But the Bengals to practice indoors at time.  All I want to see is some numbers on how many times the Bengals practice inside compared to other teams.  If we arereally practicing outside more than other teams then it could be a problem.  But I have seen video of other playoff teams outside, so I am not sure where Wes is getting the stats on how often the Bengals practice outside compared to other teams.  it seems that his entire argument is based on seeing them practice obe time in 30 degree weather.

I don't know about previous years, but they only used the UC facility 3 times in 2014, and I know they've used it at least 2 times this season.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 01:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Please post the source for your claim that the Bengals only use the facility 10 times a year and that is much less than other teams.

How many times have the Patriots practiced inside this year?  I saw then om NFL Network working outside this week.  Why do you think they are doing that if the have an indoor facility?

I am glad to have this discussion as soon as I see some basis for the discussion.  So far all I have seen is you just making up stuff.

Oh, I didn't even mean 10 times a year.  I meant 10 times TOTAL since it's been built.  I remember reading an article last year that referenced the fact the Bengals had only used UC's facility a total of 3 times that season.  I'll see what I can find for you.

It seems to that every time it's cold or wet or windy or whatever that they're outside.  I can recall only a handful of times that it's been mentioned they've made the trip to Clifton.  So it seems like common knowledge to me that they've none too often.

Since you ask for a link for every single comment made, I will do the same.  Please share where the Patriots are working outside all this week.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 02:00 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Since you ask for a link for every single comment made, I will do the same.  Please share where the Patriots are working outside all this week.

I never said they were working outside all this week.

And I don't know how to post a link to something I saw on TV.  NFL Network does an on location report from every playoff team every day.  I think it is on the show Around the NFL. I am sure a lot of people here have seen it. And to be 100% honest I don't know for sure if it was the Pats or another team, but they were clearly practicing outside in the cold.

But since you were the one that started this rant I think the burden is on you to prove your point.  Like i said before, I am glad to have a discussion on this.  But first I need to see if there is even any reason to have this discussion.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 01:55 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I don't know about previous years, but they only used the UC facility 3 times in 2014.

Saw the same.  They're hardly ever there.  I'm pretty sure they only make the trek if the weather is absolute God awful, horrible,

This idea that they just run over to Clifton whenever they want simply isn't true.  I've long argued against both the idea that it's available at their beck and call, and that they even entertain using it for typical cold weather, moderate rain (no thunderstorms) or heavy wind.

They're going over there if it's 10 below, there's 5 inches or more more of snow, there's a hurricane, or the apocalypse is nigh.  If guys are just freezing their nuts off, are sopping wet, or compensating their throws and kicks because of 40 mile winds., they better strap on a leather helmet and rub some dirt on it.

You play in the cold your practice in the cold.  And you smoke Doctor recommended Marlboro's.  Everyone knows that!
Reply/Quote
I'm considered a "Homer' on here and there is zero excuse for this franchise to not have their own dedicated indoor practice facility. They are a professional team that must sometimes practice in lees than desired conditions, for no other reason than they do not have their own facility.

Build one with a door though, so they can practice outside from time to time to get tough
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 02:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'm considered a "Homer' on here and there is zero excuse for this franchise to not have their own dedicated indoor practice facility. They are a professional team that must sometimes practice in lees than desired conditions, for no other reason than they do not have their own facility.

Build one with a door though, so they can practice outside from time to time to get tough
I have always thought a northern NFL team not having an on-site, dedicated facility is as cheap as you get.  Simply no justification IMO not to have one.  I will never believe that you can have a better practice while you're freezing your ass off vs being comfortable practicing in a bubble.

I would honestly like to know if the Steelers are also practicing outside to toughen up before the playoff game.  Does anyone know?

Anyway, I hope we come out and smack the shit out of the Steelers on Saturday!!!!

Who-Dey
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 10:27 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: No news here.  The use of a bubble (or lack thereof) is overrated. 

Tell that to the 30 teams that have one.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 11:23 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: It news to us who were told that we can use UC facility whenever we want.  I've been told over and over that we already have a facility and that it's ridiculous to build one when we already have an agreement in place with UC.  So I guess I'm just wondering what happened to that?

Why weren't we in there yesterday?  Even better, exactly how many times have we've been in there at all since it's been built?  Less than 10?

Why would we have needed UC's facility yesterday?  It was sunny and 30 degrees!  Good grief, that's not even worth the bus ride to Clifton.  30 degrees is not uncomfortable when you're moving around.

The only times they travel to an indoor facility (in Mason or wherever) is when it's extremely cold or we have bad weather conditions, like snow, sleet, etc.
Reply/Quote
As long as they can have an effective practice, it seems smart to prepare the team in the same conditions that the game will played in. To me, it only makes sense to move inside when the conditions are too extreme to stay focused and productive, which varies from year-to-year of course. Toughen up and stay tough! They have the rest of February/March to laze by the fireplace.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 02:08 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: So I saw some clips from today's practice and was reminded (after seeing a lot of breath) that, man, it's ***** cold out there. Yup, brrrrrrrrr!!!!

Even when I went from my car to Kroger's tonight I was thinking, "Jesus H. Christ, I need to get inside. This winter shit can suck my balls!" Had a buddy of mine stop by a little later. First words out of his mouth were, "Dude, screw this. I want the 70 degrees back we saw a few weeks ago." You'd think I'd be used to it, but nope.

But yeah, I'm sure most of our players love it. Especially the ones from down South and the West Coast. Given the choice, I'm betting those SEC, Pac 10 and Somoan guys actually prefer the cold though.

But as I'm reminded, we do the have UC facility. I know that came in real handy today. And I mean, regardless of who paid for it, whoever even uses it, it's practically ours. Didn't invest a dime, use it about three times a year= Shared facility according to many.

Anyways, I just thought I mention that I felt bad seeing those guys out there. I know they have to hate it. Shit, the one's from Texas probably had better facilities in high school. As always, nothing but the best here in Cincy. Rolleyes

Its gonna be cold saturday night and the rest of january they might as well get used to it.

I dont feel bad for anyone making 100s of thousands to 10s of millions for playing football and ahving to do it in the cold.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 02:44 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: [Image: bengalsbubble.jpg]

Mooning :drool: MooningMooningMooning :drool::drool::drool::drool:

This pic is from 2012.  http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/sports/football/bengals-move-practice-inside/nTf94/

Quotes from that article:

Quote:“It was awesome,” said linebacker Rey Maualuga, a Southern California native. “But at the same time, it felt colder last week practicing out in the rain than it felt outside today. It felt good to be in the bubble and practice fast and just to be warm and stay comfortable.”

Quote:Inclement weather led quarterback Andy Dalton to miss practice the week of the wildcard playoff game against Houston last year, and the lack of an indoor facility remains a sore spot with some players.

Offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth said Wednesday’s seven-mile trip to Clifton was a productive one.

“It’s nice to go inside and throw the football and run the football and make cuts and do all of those things without having to worry about falling down in the ice and the wind,” Whitworth said. “You’re trying to work on looks and everything, it’s hard to get the speed of the looks when everybody’s worried about their footing and the conditions we’re in.

“You want to stay off the ground this late in the year, and it’s kind of hard to do when it’s wet and nasty outside,” he continued. “It’s better to be dry and inside. It’s good for us to go in there and get a sweat in and fly around.”

This is our team leader saying this. He's just one of many players that has expressed frustration about playing outdoors in inclement weather. Marvin Lewis clearly wants one, and there were rumors (circulated by the team) that they were planning to build one:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/22/mike-brown-finally-may-be-building-an-indoor-practice-facility/

Yet 5 years later and still no word. So to sum this up:

- Our HC wants a practice facility.
- Our players want one and suggest that inclement weather does affect their performance in practice
- The Bengals said in the past that they were planning to build one.
- At least 29 or 30 teams currently have facilities that they can always access.
- Mike Brown has said he has "a desire to build one, though not as keen". Meaning he doesn't think it's very important, at least not as important as money.

If you don't want a practice facility, you're on the same side as Mike Brown. Is that ever a good thing?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2016, 02:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This pic is from 2012.  http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/sports/football/bengals-move-practice-inside/nTf94/

Quotes from that article:

This is our team leader saying this. He's just one of many players that has expressed frustration about playing outdoors in inclement weather. Marvin Lewis clearly wants one, and there were rumors (circulated by the team) that they were planning to build one:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/22/mike-brown-finally-may-be-building-an-indoor-practice-facility/

Yet 5 years later and still no word. So to sum this up:

- Our HC wants a practice facility.
- Our players want one and suggest that inclement weather does affect their performance in practice
- The Bengals said in the past that they were planning to build one.
- At least 29 or 30 teams currently have facilities that they can always access.
- Mike Brown has said he has "a desire to build one, though not as keen". Meaning he doesn't think it's very important, at least not as important as money.

If you don't want a practice facility, you're on the same side as Mike Brown. Is that ever a good thing?

[Image: full]

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote