Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's a passing league
Brady and Dak just went for 50 attempts each. All the people wanting to pound the rock are gonna be disappointed.. Zack already loves to air it out and we are setup for that. Expect 40+ attempts from Burrow..
Reply/Quote
They had a very hard time running against that stout defensive line

Of course they threw it a bunch of times
Reply/Quote
This thread will be interesting to revisit when at least the Titans, Browns, and Ravens all run it 30+ times and win.

Last year 4 of the top 5 rushing attempt teams were in the playoffs. Only 2 of the top 5 passing attempt teams were in the playoffs.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
comes and goes, gotta take what the Defense gives you.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2021, 02:23 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: This thread will be interesting to revisit when at least the Titans, Browns, and Ravens all run it 30+ times and win.

Last year 4 of the top 5 rushing attempt teams were in the playoffs. Only 2 of the top 5 passing attempt teams were in the playoffs.

I just don't see a heavy dose of Perine leading to more success than Burrow mad bombing it to our stacked WR corps. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2021, 03:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I just don't see a heavy dose of Perine leading to more success than Burrow mad bombing it to our stacked WR corps. 

Why Perine? Why not the 7th highest paid RB in the NFL? I've been told for years now that he's one of the best and most complete RBs in the league. I want to see it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2021, 03:09 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Why Perine? Why not the 7th highest paid RB in the NFL? I've been told for years now that he's one of the best and most complete RBs in the league. I want to see it.

Mixon needs to show he can handle an average workload before we can safely build our offense around him. 
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2021, 03:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I just don't see a heavy dose of Perine leading to more success than Burrow mad bombing it to our stacked WR corps. 

Me too.. We know we can't run block for shit either.. That's why I say it's gonna be air Burrow. It's just setup that way...
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2021, 03:32 PM)Tony Wrote: Me too.. We know we can't run block for shit either.. That's why I say it's gonna be air Burrow. It's just setup that way...

Which will lead to another trip to the IR for Burrow. 

Each time a QB drops back he runs the risk of injury. So the more passes and more predictable the offense becomes the higher the likelihood of another injury becomes. It is simply the law of averages.

Everyone all excited for 50 plus attempts a game must love Brandon Allen.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2021, 03:39 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Which will lead to another trip to the IR for Burrow. 

Each time a QB drops back he runs the risk of injury. So the more passes and more predictable the offense becomes the higher the likelihood of another injury becomes. It is simply the law of averages.

Everyone all excited for 50 plus attempts a game must love Brandon Allen.

Drew Brees averaged 40+ throws a game in 8 different  seasons during his career.  He missed one game in those 8 seasons.

Matt Stafford twice averaged 40+ throws a game.  He didn't miss a start in either season.

Drew Bledsoe also threw 40+/game twice.  He missed one game in those seasons.

Peyton Manning did it twice.  Didn't miss a start.

Roethlisberger did it twice.  He missed one game.

Matt Ryan did it twice.  He missed one game.

Warren Moon did it twice.  He missed one game.

Phillip Rivers and Tony Romo each did it once without missing a game.

Andy Dalton averaged 40+ passes a game in '19.  He was benched for a few games, but he wasn't injured.

Tommy Kramer averaged 40+ a game over 14 games in '81.

The big outliers are Burrow and Joe Flacco.  Flacco averaged 40+ a game three times, but only made it through 16 games once.  

Also keep in mind that the Bengals averaged 65 plays on offense per game last year.  They were actually tied for 17th in rushing attempts, so average.  
Reply/Quote
Starting Spain should be everything you need to know about how our team intends to play offense.

Spain is a good pass protector that is below average in run blocking.

I think XSF is the same way, but I'm not sure since he hasn't had extensive starting experience (mostly a back up in Dallas, injured for a while last year).

They're gonna pass.

Now, if they decided to start Carman right out of the gate, who showed really well in run blocking but had some struggles in pass protection in the pre-season, then maybe I'd think we were taking the run game more seriously.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2021, 04:58 PM)Whatever Wrote: Drew Brees averaged 40+ throws a game in 8 different  seasons during his career.  He missed one game in those 8 seasons.

Matt Stafford twice averaged 40+ throws a game.  He didn't miss a start in either season.

Drew Bledsoe also threw 40+/game twice.  He missed one game in those seasons.

Peyton Manning did it twice.  Didn't miss a start.

Roethlisberger did it twice.  He missed one game.

Matt Ryan did it twice.  He missed one game.

Warren Moon did it twice.  He missed one game.

Phillip Rivers and Tony Romo each did it once without missing a game.

Andy Dalton averaged 40+ passes a game in '19.  He was benched for a few games, but he wasn't injured.

Tommy Kramer averaged 40+ a game over 14 games in '81.

The big outliers are Burrow and Joe Flacco.  Flacco averaged 40+ a game three times, but only made it through 16 games once.  

Also keep in mind that the Bengals averaged 65 plays on offense per game last year.  They were actually tied for 17th in rushing attempts, so average.  

This doesn’t deviate from the fact that more pass attempts leads to a higher chance of qb injury.

Rarely does a qb get hurt when he hands the ball off.

And we’ve been through this already, Bengals with Joe Burrow were top 3 in pass attempts.

You’re being disingenuous when you talk about the offense being balanced when that was only the case when our starting qb was injured
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2021, 02:02 PM)Tony Wrote: Expect 40+ attempts from Burrow..

...which is a recipe for disaster. That’s not a good offensive strategy; a balanced offense is best.
Reply/Quote
Balanced offense is a thing of the past. Throwing the rock all over the yard is just how the game is setup. It's how the Bengals offense is setup. Just because we are gonna air it out doesn't mean Burrow is gonna get hurt. That's nonsense..
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2021, 05:53 PM)Tony Wrote: Balanced offense is a thing of the past. Throwing the rock all over the yard is just how the game is setup. It's how the Bengals offense is setup. Just because we are gonna air it out doesn't mean Burrow is gonna get hurt. That's nonsense..

“ Last year 4 of the top 5 rushing attempt teams were in the playoffs. Only 2 of the top 5 passing attempt teams were in the playoffs.”

The cope from the fanboys is unreal.

Listen, I like our passing attack, but the run game has to be established.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2021, 05:25 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: This doesn’t deviate from the fact that more pass attempts leads to a higher chance of qb injury.

And we’ve been through this already, Bengals with Joe Burrow were top 3 in pass attempts.

You’re being disingenuous when you talk about the offense being balanced when that was only the case when our starting qb was injured

Football is a physical sport you cannot played scared. Letting injury chances dictate your offense is stupid.

I don't expect a heavy pass offense with what we seen in the pre-season but I also expect Burrow to have a decent amount pass attempts around 30 to 35.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2021, 05:58 PM)Synric Wrote: Football is a physical sport you cannot played scared. Letting injury chances dictate your offense is stupid.

Well of course but I’m just simply pointing out that qb’s get hurt more on pass attempts than handing the ball off

That’s all.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2021, 05:31 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: ...which is a recipe for disaster. That’s not a good offensive strategy; a balanced offense is best.

Depends on what you mean by ‘balanced’. The best and most efficient offense is a strong passing offense. Nothing moves the ball quicker down the field. Most teams in the NFL are not running a truly balanced offense. You’re going to see a split of something 55/45 pass run be very common.

Cincinnati is going to be passing often. I’d expect Burrow to have somewhere between 35-40 attempts per game. They didn’t draft Chase and Burrow to hand the ball off a significant amount.
Reply/Quote
It all comes down to who you are playing. Most teams will not have success trying to run against Tampa's defense, so the way to attack it is through the air on the perimeters. Dallas knew it, and almost beat them. You can run on some teams, some teams you are better off airing it out.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2021, 05:25 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: This doesn’t deviate from the fact that more pass attempts leads to a higher chance of qb injury.

Of course, if you run the ball more often, your RB is more likely to get injured.  It's not like our star RB isn't also coming off a season ending injury.  In fact, he got injured before Burrow with what you're saying is a light workload.  Can Joe handle the workload?  There is a sharp dropoff to Perrine and unknowns behind him.  If Joe goes down again, we're going to be one dimensional on offense again, whether anybody wants that or not.

You can't put your QB or your RB on a pitch count. You call the game to try and win.  You can't win calling the game scared.  
Reply/Quote