Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I never want to see an empty set again
(09-20-2021, 03:56 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: They need to learn how to pick up the right blocks.

Joe can’t sit back and watch either. The ball needs to come out fast. He’s still in his LSU days

With all the O line issues.... I still cant understand why they dont have a legit Fullback on the roster. Ravens have an undrafted guy (Patrick Ricard) thats north of 300+ lbs that basically functions as an extra G in pass plays and the guy can catch too.  Dont tell me the Bengals cant use something like this?
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:17 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: He is 2nd in NFL in rushing after 2 games

He's also 2nd in attempts and has no 20+ yard runs.

He's a good 2 down back that offers little as a receiver and sucks as a blocker.  I'm not saying bench him, but we need a situational RB that can block and be something of a receiving threat.  Next off-season, a decision will have to be made because $12 mil is too much money for a skill player that has to come off the field in passing situations.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:36 PM)Whatever Wrote: He's also 2nd in attempts and has no 20+ yard runs.

He's a good 2 down back that offers little as a receiver and sucks as a blocker.  I'm not saying bench him, but we need a situational RB that can block and be something of a receiving threat.  Next off-season, a decision will have to be made because $12 mil is too much money for a skill player that has to come off the field in passing situations.

I think you have that potentially in Evans, I'd like to see him get more run in passing situations as he had a nice run after catch yesterday.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:21 PM)kalibengal Wrote: With all the O line issues.... I still cant understand why they dont have a legit Fullback on the roster. Ravens have an undrafted guy (Patrick Ricard) thats north of 300+ lbs that basically functions as an extra G in pass plays and the guy can catch too.  Dont tell me the Bengals cant use something like this?

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing them try to use Uzomah some as an H-back like he played in college.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:37 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think you have that potentially in Evans, I'd like to see him get more run in passing situations as he had a nice run after catch yesterday.

Hopefully he gets some more opportunities in the upcoming weeks.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:36 PM)Whatever Wrote: He's also 2nd in attempts and has no 20+ yard runs.

After 2 games mixon has puerformed very  well and is looking to have an excellent year, he has not hurt the bengals over the first 2 games .
Reply/Quote
I spoke of this in another thread;I absolutely hate the empty formation it's to predictable..Most defenses set on quick routes against the set,especially since zac doesn't use play selection well to set up the defense..we went empty after a 7 yard stretch play from under center smh...
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 06:35 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: I spoke of this in another thread;I absolutely hate the empty formation it's to predictable..Most defenses set on quick routes against the set,especially since zac doesn't use play selection well to set up the defense..we went empty after a 7 yard stretch play from under center smh...

Honestly, the most common play outside of a quick screen out of it is probably four verticals. Lots of teams stretch the field with various combos but it requires you to have a plan for when someone pressures it. If you show you can beat pressure packages with it they will quit pressuring and then you get vertical.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:33 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: This is the elephant in the room, isn't it? I hadn't really thought about how long he was holding on to the ball until my brother pointed it out last night. There are times he just needs to chuck it in the bleachers and live to fight another down. I appreciate his moxy and unwillingness to quit, but there are times he just needs to get rid of it.  The RBs have REALLY got to get their shit together in pass pro too.

This problem was exacerbated yesterday because the Bears’ secondary sat on Zac Taylor’s very predictable pass routes. There was no place for Joe Burrow to throw; no one was open because everyone was covered. When a defense can sack or pressure the quarterback while only rushing three or four down linemen that’s an immediate problem for any offensive coordinator because the defense can drop seven or eight into coverage.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Never been a fan of empty sets.

Peyton Manning was a god in them. You really have to understand coverages if you are the QB to run them all game tho. Peyton used to have that ball out quick after all his audibles

Burrrow can’t hold it so long and be a statue
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 12:01 PM)lone bengal Wrote: It’s not just like there going empty and airing it out every play there play calling is so predictable. Run on 1st down , run on 2nd and long up the middle into the teeth of the defense for 2 yards. Then you got 3rd and long and the  defense Tee’s off. I haven’t seen a single screen pass all year , no creativity , no presnap movement. Fake a sweep to Chase , I know Burrow is coming of an ACL but your allowed to move the pocket and roll the QB out. Chip with the tight end we have 3 wide receivers who are very good and should
Win some matchups.

Wasn't the play in OT that won us the Vikings game a screen to Uzo?

But yeah, they need to be used more damn it. Would like to see Chris Evans on a RB screen here and there. Dude is dangerous.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 07:22 PM)Au165 Wrote: Honestly, the most common play outside of a quick screen out of it is probably four verticals. Lots of teams stretch the field with various combos but it requires you to have a plan for when someone pressures it. If you show you can beat pressure packages with it they will quit pressuring and then you get vertical.

Sounds perfect for our personnel honestly...
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 08:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This problem was exacerbated yesterday because the Bears’ secondary  sat on Zac Taylor’s very predictable pass routes.  There was no place for Joe Burrow to throw; no one was open because everyone was covered.  When a defense can sack or pressure the quarterback while only rushing three or four down linemen that’s an immediate problem for any offensive coordinator because the defense can drop seven or eight into coverage.

I'll agree to that, but the QB can also throw the ball away. He'll learn, I am confident in saying that.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: Yup.  The most disappointing thing about this one is despite all the issues, we still would have easily won if we just didn't turn it over because of Dalton going out.  I mean, Fields is atrocious.  

Yeah, Fields has a long way to go, and it should be pretty obvious why Nagy isn't starting him. If he ever gets a leg injury, he's in trouble. He's got time to learn though, and he does have a lot of talent.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:10 PM)Joelist Wrote: Actually they went away from what worked week one. Week one had almost no empty sets, Burrow was under center the vast majority of the time and they ran a lot to the edges. Week two was mostly shotgun with far more empty sets and they tried to run inside more. Also week one the ball came out faster - week two the plays took way too long to develop.

On that aspect, you're correct. Way more empty sets. I guess I was mainly referring to the commitment to the run, and somewhat conservative play. 

Reply/Quote