Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's insanity! The war on Christianity......
(10-14-2015, 06:28 PM)KingPoster Wrote: I don't think so. I think they celebrate his birth and resurrection. 

"Good" Friday anyone?
(10-15-2015, 10:38 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: "Good" Friday anyone?

I'm not sure of any celebrations that occur during Good Friday. I know there are numerous observances to include worship service and fasting in some religions. As to the word good; it means holy in this context. Or there are some that think it is God that got lost in translation along the way. 
(10-14-2015, 09:01 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: And when you make the rules, you make the rules.  You decide what needs to happen for salvation and a simple, "I forgive you" seems sufficient for an omnipotent/omniscient deity instead of human sacrifice.

Have you ever been a part of a group or organization where the leader kept changing the rules whenever he or she felt like and didn't follow his or her own rules?

But, hey, maybe you like anarchy. I'm pretty sure God doesn't.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(10-15-2015, 10:51 AM)KingPoster Wrote: I'm not sure of any celebrations that occur during Good Friday. I know there are numerous observances to include worship service and fasting in some religions. As to the word good; it means holy in this context. Or there are some that think it is God that got lost in translation along the way. 

OK.  What does "Holy" mean?  
(10-15-2015, 11:24 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Have you ever been a part of a group or organization where the leader kept changing the rules whenever he or she felt like and didn't follow his or her own rules?

Which totally explains the Tower of Babble story...   Smirk
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(10-15-2015, 10:38 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: "Good" Friday anyone?

It was always called Black Friday in the churches I grew up in.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-15-2015, 11:57 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: OK.  What does "Holy" mean?  
In this context:

Holy

dedicated or devoted to the service of God, the church, or religion:
(10-15-2015, 12:15 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It was always called Black Friday in the churches I grew up in.

That's the Friday after Thanksgiving. 
(10-15-2015, 12:07 PM)GMDino Wrote: Which totally explains the Tower of Babble story...   Smirk

That was for a specific reason, though.  Tongue
(10-15-2015, 11:24 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Have you ever been a part of a group or organization where the leader kept changing the rules whenever he or she felt like and didn't follow his or her own rules?

You mean like how god kept changing the rules in the Bible?
(10-15-2015, 12:36 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: You mean like how god kept changing the rules in the Bible?

No.
(10-15-2015, 12:36 PM)PhilHos Wrote: That was for a specific reason, though.  Tongue

So humans couldn't build a building tall enough to reach Heaven?
(10-15-2015, 12:37 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: So humans couldn't build a building tall enough to reach Heaven?
No, so people wouldn't think they are equal to God
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-15-2015, 12:37 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: So humans couldn't build a building tall enough to reach Heaven?

No, because humans weren't doing what God commanded.

Genesis 9:1 "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth."

Genesis 11:4 " Then they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.”

God gave them different languages so they would scatter and fill the whole earth as He commanded them to do.
(10-14-2015, 11:54 AM)djs7685 Wrote: By "they", you mean just the one guy that's arguing with Philhos? :snark:

Anyone here who is denying that Christians are persecuted. Or who persecute Christians themselves on this board on a semi regular basis.
(10-15-2015, 12:17 PM)KingPoster Wrote: That's the Friday after Thanksgiving. 

Some denominations call the Friday before Easter Black Friday. Holy Friday and Great Friday are also used.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(10-15-2015, 12:57 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Some denominations call the Friday before Easter Black Friday. Holy Friday and Great Friday are also used.

I honestly have never heard that. I'm not calling you a liar, I just have never heard of Good Friday called Black Friday. I have heard it called Holy Friday, though.
(10-15-2015, 12:59 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I honestly have never heard that. I'm not calling you a liar, I just have never heard of Good Friday called Black Friday. I have heard it called Holy Friday, though.

If easter is the celebration of the resurrection.... on sunday

Why would you call the Friday he was cruxified "GOOD"?
(10-15-2015, 01:03 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: If easter is the celebration of the resurrection....   on sunday

Why would you call the Friday he was cruxified "GOOD"?

Simple answer is good means righteous "justifiable". The longer answers are it is used in the context of Holy or as KP said some believe it is the word God that got changed. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Ask the Jews if they think American Christians are being persecuted. Go ahead. And post video results. I got to see this shit. Tongue

People who are not Christians, whether it be of another religion or having the lack of belief, saying negative things about Christians = persecution? LOL!

There are plenty of Christians that agrees with me. I am only criticizing those who are blowing things way out of proportion only to get people to be on their side. When you are being murdered, raped, or arrested for simply being a Christian, then come talk to me. I will be on your side, and fight with you. Don't be ridiculous. That's all. ThumbsUp