Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's official
I'm officially now more confident in the Reds future that that of the Bengals.  Last year I wouldn't have said this, but they did show signs of improvement and willingness to make trades when necessary. The Bengals on the other hand...not so much. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It shows how bad the Bengals front office is when you factor in that all teams are forced to spend a minimum and there is a reasonable salary cap. The Bengals should make the playoffs once every 2 or 3 years with average management.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 08:18 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: It shows how bad the Bengals front office is when you factor in that all teams are forced to spend a minimum and there is a reasonable salary cap. The Bengals should make the playoffs once every 2 or 3 years with average management.

The Bengals made the playoffs more than most other NFL teams over the last 15 years and a hell of a lot more than the Reds.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 07:13 PM)grampahol Wrote: I'm officially now more confident in the Reds future that that of the Bengals.  Last year I wouldn't have said this, but they did show signs of improvement and willingness to make trades when necessary. The Bengals on the other hand...not so much. 

They did exactly what every fan wanted them to do.

They changed coaches.
Reply/Quote
Before you all flame me too hard I will admit that the Bengals now are a worse team than the Reds.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2019, 08:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Bengals made the playoffs more than most other NFL teams over the last 15 years and a hell of a lot more than the Reds.

This is true. The future seems brighter for the Reds though on the management side! If Baseball had the same financial guidelines as football then it would look even better. The Reds have been pathetic but they tried some creative stuff this last offseason and are talking spending money so we will see.
Reply/Quote
I'm going to be a kill joy to those saying Reds better and those saying Bengals better. They both Stink. Bengals and Reds have both been floundering around Last Place for a few years now. The Reds have a lot of problems to fix before they can get over .500 ball, something they haven't done in years at any point in the seasons. The Bengals have a lot of problems to fix at 0-8 and 1-15 over their last 16 games.

It's apples and oranges as the Reds are limited as a small market team in MLB. However the NFL with TV Revenue sharing and the draft structure is set up for parity and so Mike Brown going 30 years without a play-off win and more 0-4 starts than any other team is just the worst front office in sports, because the NFL has it set up for teams not to be this bad, this long.

As a small market team there are things Reds could do to make better use of what salary money they have. Oakland and Tampa are good examples this year of how you can compete with deep pocket teams like Yankees at half their payroll. However the Votto contract over the next 5 years will keep the Reds being as smart as Oakland and Tampa and will keep Reds under .500 if they can't shake loose from it.

The NFL is set up for a team as awful as Bengals to turn it around quick because as bad as they are, they are getting equal TV revenue sharing from team like Patriots, unlike Reds and Yankees. I mean, there really is no reason Bengals can't turn things around fast, EXCEPT for the worst front office in any sport. Since Paul Brown died the Bengals went from Super Bowl to Toilet Bowl and there is NOTHING to give hope to the front office getting better as it is in the quicksand of incompetent family nepotism across the board from top to bottom in front office.

Maybe one day Cincinnati will have a pro sports team worth the fans loyalty. As it is right now, Cincinnati is the worst in baseball and football in USA every year. The Bengals made Super Bowl 1989 season. Reds made World Series in 1990. That's 30 years ago. Most people under 40 don't remember Cincinnati being any good. 1990 was a long time ago. Ever since the baseball strike of 1994 the game has changed in money ball against cities like Cincinnati, but Oakland and Tampa show them the blueprint of how to field a good team at salaries they can afford. There is no excuse for the Bengals in the NFL of TV Revenue Sharing and The Draft structure, they have as much money as anybody, they are just the worst front office in all sports due to family nepotism of incompetence. They could and should hire some football people who know the game as Paul Brown did, but they just won't, they refuse.

Both teams are bad. I suggest no new stadiums in Cincy for decades to come unless they both clean this mess up, because neither team is good enough to be playing in the stadiums they already have. If Cincy can only keep one of these teams in the future, let it be the Reds who have been in Cincy from 19th Century.

On Front Offices, there is hope for Reds front office, but there is damn little hope for Bengals front office. When Paul Brown died, this front office died. The NFL is set up for no team to go 30 years without a play-off win or a team to have this many 0-4 starts in 30 years. Mike Brown and Family are just so awful at what they do. The Reds have an excuse the way MLB is set up. The Bengals don't because the NFL is set up for them to do much better. There is hope for Reds front office and little hope for Bengals front office.

IF the Bengals had even an average front office, the NFL is set up for Bengals to turn things around faster than Reds, as fast as next season. However the Bengals have the worst front office in all of sports, and they will turn nothing around in spite of how NFL is set up for them to turn it around.

Meanwhile Indy has a good NFL team and they are not that far from Cincy. Columbus has a good pro hockey team. Indy and Cleveland have NBA. Indians are a good MLB team.

IF the Reds could just play over .500 ball into 4th of July, THAT would be a good summer for the Fans. I disagree with Oakland money ball guy on 2 things. Base Stealing is fun for Fans and has a place, plus 70's Reds stole bases. I also disagree with him on season is a flop unless you win World Series. The heck with Halloween Ball. Have a team over .500 on 4th of July and be filling the stands and people turning Reds on TV. Over .500 on 4th of July, that is what Reds goal should be. It won't be easy, but more realistic than winning World Series at Halloween, which is NOT baseball season and 4th of July is. On Memorial Day and 4th of July, 30 teams are all trying to fill seats with happy summer Fans, unlike Halloween.

You know, this thing of Reds being awful in April and Bengals not winning a game in September or October. These Cincy teams start the seasons so awful, they really deserve empty stadiums, even more empty then they are. The Reds often send best players to Minors on options and get off to such awful starts each year and always under .500 all season. Mike Brown has more 0-4 starts than any owner. THAT is what is not acceptable. The Reds and Bengals never ready to start the season. Clinching Last Place on Opening Day. Nobody can be Fans of that. This thing of starting to talk about the drafts and next season right after opening day is sports at it's WORST.

The Bengals are indeed 1-15 over their last 16 games. The Reds haven't been over .500 ball in July in many years. Both teams are lucky they have any fans left. They both better get with it because their fan base gets smaller and smaller. I hate to say it but some cable and dish companies dropped the Reds after yet another awful start. Both teams owners need to get with it. They keep having these awful starts to season, both teams could go out of business and nobody would care.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Baseball is quite different from football in so many ways. Average Teams can go from being a .500 team to championship with a few tweaks. Sometimes it's just a matter of the manager (also true of football at times) and sometimes it's merely a matter of just a few starting players having a really good season as opposed to a lousy season a year prior. We've seen this occur more than a few times. Baseball teams have gone generations without winning much at all. (Cubs and Red Socks) In football a player can go straight from college to being a huge star, but in baseball it's rare to see a first year player ever crack low minor league lineups much less make it to the major leagues to be big stars right out of HS or college for that matter. It happens, but you can count on one hand the youngsters who do it. 162 regular season games vs 16 for football..that's not even close in comparison. The way baseball is played has had minor changes in our lifetimes, but football is barely the same game it was just a generation ago and finally baseball has relatively few injuries as opposed to football despite a small, hard ball flying around at 100+ mph which is funny when you consider fans can be killed just watching baseball while nobody has ever been killed by an errant football going into the stands.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote