Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's the name
Just having fun here.

Paul Brown was an owner of the Cleveland Browns plus he was the head coach as well. Then one day, good ole Art decided that Paul Brown was no longer needed as part of the Browns organization and fired him. Ever since, the Cleveland Browns have been total garbage and that's when the "Brown Curse" started.

Anything to do with the Brown name has been cursed. 

The Cleveland Browns left Cleveland, moved to Baltimore, changed their name to the Ravens and won two Super Bowls since. Coincidence? I think not.

The new Cleveland Browns, after getting another franchise has been completely broken and there is no light at the end of their tunnel. They kept the name and are screwed.

Paul Brown started and new NFL franchise in Cincinnati but the team has yet to win a Super Bowl. While they have had success by getting to two Super Bowls, the "Brown Curse" was in full swing to deny our beloved team those wins.

Once Mike Brown retires and Katie Blackburn takes over, the curse will be broken and we fans of the Cincinnati Bengals will enjoy multiple Super Bowl victories.

Of course knowing our luck, Mike Brown will transfer ownership over to Paul Brown and the curse will continue for years and years and decades and decades.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2016, 06:31 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Just having fun here.

Paul Brown was an owner of the Cleveland Browns plus he was the head coach as well. Then one day, good ole Art decided that Paul Brown was no longer needed as part of the Browns organization and fired him. Ever since, the Cleveland Browns have been total garbage and that's when the "Brown Curse" started.

The Cleveland Browns left Cleveland, moved to Baltimore, changed their name to the Ravens and won two Super Bowls since. Coincidence? I think not.

The new Cleveland Browns, after getting another franchise has been completely broken and there is no light at the end of their tunnel. They kept the name and are screwed.

Paul Brown started and new NFL franchise in Cincinnati but the team has yet to win a Super Bowl. While they have had success by getting to two Super Bowls, the "Brown Curse" was in full swing to deny our beloved team those wins.

Once Mike Brown retires and Katie Blackburn takes over, the curse will be broken and we fans of the Cincinnati Bengals will enjoy multiple Super Bowl victories.

Of course knowing our luck, Mike Brown will transfer ownership over to Paul Brown and the curse will continue for years and years and decades and decades.

They're gonna have to sell the naming rights to the stadium....
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
One of his biggest mistakes with the Bengals was naming Tiger Johnson as HC, instead of Bill Walsh when he stepped down as HC. Poetic justice Walsh beat Brown twice in both Super Bowls!

http://cohn.blogs.pressdemocrat.com/13140/bill-walsh-vs-paul-brown/

[Bill Walsh vs. Paul Brown

My friend and colleague Robert Rubino wrote a terrific 4-part blog for the Press Democrat about Bill Walsh’s years with the Bengals — it’s based on a video you can find on nfl.com.

After reading Robert’s blog I was motivated to look at my book on Walsh — I almost never do — for some of the things he said about Bengals owner and coach Paul Brown who never allowed Bill to be Bengals’ head coach. That eventually led to Bill leaving the Bengals and that led to you know what. So here are some quotes from Bill on the legendary Paul Brown.

“Paul could be downright dishonest or whatever it would take, He’d be a great guy if it was convenient. If it wasn’t, he’d be himself. I had a lot of ambition. I wanted to be a head coach before I died. And he was holding me back because it was a perfect setup for him. It was as unsettling as hell because he had control of my life.”

“The truth is I wasn’t his world. I was like a guy from another planet that dropped in. That was about the time of the Vietnam War, and my hair might have been a little longer than his. And I had these boots you zipped up that my wife got me for Christmas, and he saw them one day and he had a fit, he was so upset. So he was afraid that this kook would be his replacement.”

Brown named Bill Johnson Bengals’ head coach after he stepped down. This is Walsh on getting passed over for Johnson: “If you want to win a goddamn championship, you better have the brains. You can’t win it with a dull guy as head coach, and the smart guy as the assistant. That’s why we didn’t win an AFC championship when Paul was the head coach, because it had to go through Paul to be done. And now it had to go through Bill.”]
Reply/Quote

I am on the same wavelength. I saw the other day that Cleveland is the city with three pro sports franchises (baseball, basketball, football) and the longest stretch w/o a championship for any of them. It was in a thing on ESPN called "Believeland." I only caught a snippet, but I thought when Modell fired Brown the city of Cleveland was cursed.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2016, 08:38 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: One of his biggest mistakes with the Bengals was naming Tiger Johnson as HC, instead of Bill Walsh when he stepped down as HC. Poetic justice Walsh beat Brown twice in both Super Bowls!

My friend and colleague Robert Rubino wrote a terrific 4-part blog for the Press Democrat about Bill Walsh’s years with the Bengals — it’s based on a video you can find on nfl.com.

After reading Robert’s blog I was motivated to look at my book on Walsh — I almost never do — for some of the things he said about Bengals owner and coach Paul Brown who never allowed Bill to be Bengals’ head coach. That eventually led to Bill leaving the Bengals and that led to you know what. So here are some quotes from Bill on the legendary Paul Brown.

“Paul could be downright dishonest or whatever it would take, He’d be a great guy if it was convenient. If it wasn’t, he’d be himself. I had a lot of ambition. I wanted to be a head coach before I died. And he was holding me back because it was a perfect setup for him. It was as unsettling as hell because he had control of my life.”

“The truth is I wasn’t his world. I was like a guy from another planet that dropped in. That was about the time of the Vietnam War, and my hair might have been a little longer than his. And I had these boots you zipped up that my wife got me for Christmas, and he saw them one day and he had a fit, he was so upset. So he was afraid that this kook would be his replacement.”

Brown named Bill Johnson Bengals’ head coach after he stepped down. This is Walsh on getting passed over for Johnson: “If you want to win a goddamn championship, you better have the brains. You can’t win it with a dull guy as head coach, and the smart guy as the assistant. That’s why we didn’t win an AFC championship when Paul was the head coach, because it had to go through Paul to be done. And now it had to go through Bill.”]
Makes sense, but as we all know football is hardly the only place where traditionalism holds people back. Our entire political system is full of the same nonsense. The get elected a candidate pretty much has to come out and pretend to be holier than thou.
If they don't come right out and pray for the nation then sorry.. You can't lead us without the ear of Big Spooky in the sky even if you have the best ideas. It doesn't matter. Honesty? Nobody cares as long as you get up there and profess to going to church every Sunday.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2016, 08:38 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: One of his biggest mistakes with the Bengals was naming Tiger Johnson as HC, instead of Bill Walsh when he stepped down as HC.  Poetic justice Walsh beat Brown twice in both Super Bowls!

I watched the "Football Life" on Walsh, and he had some not very nice things to say about Paul Brown.  He said that Brown had tried to blackball him from even getting other Head Coach opportunities.  You really have to wonder "what if" had Walsh been promoted in Cincinnati...
Reply/Quote

If the curse originated from a slight against Paul Brown, why would the curse affect Paul Brown?
Reply/Quote
Hmm. KBS as a stadium name? We could do worse.

But seriously, I really hope we never forget or distance ourselves from Paul Brown. He is one of those figures in football history that is practically a legend or at least a founding father who came up with many innovations of the modern game. I didn't even realize until recently that he invented the practice squad.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2016, 01:43 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Hmm. KBS as a stadium name? We could do worse.

But seriously, I really hope we never forget or distance ourselves from Paul Brown. He is one of those figures in football history that is practically a legend or at least a founding father who came up with many innovations of the modern game. I didn't even realize until recently that he invented the practice squad.

Concur with this. I look at P. Brown like I do Pete Rose. They both can be butts, at times, but you can't take away what they have accomplished for the sport.
Reply/Quote
please dont remind me of the walsh saga. just gets me depressed thinking about it. paul brown and his ego costed us 2 superbowls sadly. Bill Johnson? Seriously...lol
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote