Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's time for a trade
(09-20-2021, 01:19 PM)Joelist Wrote: Watch the game - the scheme WAS to blame for a lot of it. Empty backfields are terrible when you are dealing with a strong defensive front. Taylor's theory was it spreads the defense out - but what if the defense has 8 guys up within 10 yards like the bears did all day? They sat on the short routes and Taylor was refusing to go deep until it was too late. Even with his receivers and Burrow telling him they needed to do so. 

If Taylor had ACTUALLY wanted to protect Burrow he should have done Max Protect and sent his receivers a LOT deeper. Challenge the secondary and with the TE and back (or 2 TE) helping the line Burrow will be able to get the ball out there. Also, on a LOT of plays Burrow had time and a pocket but the play design gave him nowhere to throw. 

It was five vs four. They rarely had to blitz. The OL was the primary reason they lost. Better play calling could of helped...sure. Mixon in the backfield and better blocking when back there would have helped...sure. But shouldn't need the OL plus Mixon to block their four DL. We shouldn't make this more complicated than it is. The OL needs to be improved as soon as possible. Or else it's Brandon Allen starting most of this season.
Reply/Quote
Hmmm....yes....let's go find a team willing to part ways with a starting-quality O-lineman for a second rounder in week 2 of the season. Wait, we're not playing Madden? LOL

In season trades are usually reserved for either disgruntled players or teams looking to trade future draft capital for a player to push them over the hump. Bengals made this bed during the offseason, now they have to lie in it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:58 AM)TheFan Wrote: What team is trading away a good quality starting lineman 2 games into the season? Every team is still in contention right now and thinks they have a chance at the playoffs.

Houston? I don't know anything about there oline but it seems just about anybody is available on there team.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 01:20 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Nobody in yet with a, "Who would trade for Zac?" quip?

What for a 2026 7th rounder. Might be worth it alot of years to imagine the possibilities.
Reply/Quote
I do think we could work a trade out. But it would probably take a 1st rd pick and for what soon be looking like a top 10 pick that's hard to give up. But it may be worth it to protect Burrow.

It does seem like atleast half the sacks have been miscommunication and that's really troubling because these guys have all played alot of football and shouldn't be that hard to figure out.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 10:56 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Get Carman, Smith, or Hill in there before you go trading away picks or players.

Right now C is the biggest problem. If Hopkins doesn’t get back to form soon they’ll need to try something.

This, we might have the answer in the room already. We aren't trading picks and I highly doubt we make a player for player trade.

Hopkins is clearly not over his injury or is not there mentally yet. Saw Jonah have some trouble but then he also made some nice
blocks after Mack beat him. Spain played decent, XSF had a rough game and saw Reiff get shoved back a bit but I am not ready to
give up on the guys we got after one game against a top DL unit.
Reply/Quote
No way a trade is happening at this point setting at 1-1 when a win this weekend would cure any ails.

Least of all TB which is one of the most clutch players we have.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:13 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: Is Reiter still available? I haven't checked so I don't know. Now may be the time to bring him again for a workout and try to sign him. Hopkins is absolutely the weakest part of the OLine right now. I also have no problem letting Hill take some snaps. We have to do something.

(09-20-2021, 12:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Teams must not have liked his medicals. He had a bunch of visits, but never signed anywhere.

(09-20-2021, 12:53 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think or thought I read he was on a practice squad. 

Elevated to the Saints 53 this weekend. WTS there are FAs that could possibly help:

Mitchell Schwartz
Nick Easton
Ricky Wagner
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 03:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Elevated to the Saints 53 this weekend. WTS there are FAs that could possibly help:

Mitchell Schwartz
Nick Easton
Ricky Wagner

Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 01:19 PM)Joelist Wrote: Watch the game - the scheme WAS to blame for a lot of it. Empty backfields are terrible when you are dealing with a strong defensive front. Taylor's theory was it spreads the defense out - but what if the defense has 8 guys up within 10 yards like the bears did all day? They sat on the short routes and Taylor was refusing to go deep until it was too late. Even with his receivers and Burrow telling him they needed to do so. 

If Taylor had ACTUALLY wanted to protect Burrow he should have done Max Protect and sent his receivers a LOT deeper. Challenge the secondary and with the TE and back (or 2 TE) helping the line Burrow will be able to get the ball out there. Also, on a LOT of plays Burrow had time and a pocket but the play design gave him nowhere to throw. 

And I was afraid the Bears would beat us as they were one of the few teams that can handle the SF/McVay type of offense by stacking the line with extra DL out there and our Offense isn't humming at the level those guys have theirs at. They have a few years of it already.

Not to mention they got a dose of it last week so seeing it again helped prepare them. 

At least that's my take on it. 
Reply/Quote
This situation with the OL sort of gives me less confidence in our coaching staff.Or,you might say,Mike Brown for not doing enough to fix it.Brown even believing Jackson Carman would have an immediate impact.Hoping things will get better.The majority of it is simply,missed assignments.I guess I’m just a little bummed out with that loss to the Bears.A game we by all means,should have won.
Reply/Quote
Every season for the past 4/5 years by game two or three everyone is willing to trade for an OL player or saying the same old we need to draft OL in the first couple rounds next draft. Draft comes, we select the next shinny object and everyone’s happy (some) convincing others and themselves why it was a great pick only to repeat 2 games into the season again. How many freakin years are we going to keep doing this? It’s absolutely insane. Brown family, fix the damn line already.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 04:59 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Every season for the past 4/5 years by game two or three everyone is willing to trade for an OL player or saying the same old we need to draft OL in the first couple rounds next draft. Draft comes, we select the next shinny object and everyone’s happy (some) convincing others and themselves why it was a great pick only to repeat 2 games into the season again. How many freakin years are we going to keep doing this? It’s absolutely insane. Brown family, fix the damn line already.

Revisionist history. We’ve gone OL in the 1st round 3x since 2015, and twice in the 2nd during the same time span. The problem is Ogbuehi, Fisher, and Price were all complete busts. That set us back in a major way.

They need to do more for the OL in FA. Can’t just keep hoping and praying we hit in the draft. Bring in proven players to protect Joe. And then develop the guys like Carman and Smith without rushing them.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 01:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, I don’t think anyone truly expected “miracles” out of Pollack, just that he’d be much better than Turner. And I think he will be. But he got saddled with a center that doesn’t look ready after returning from a serious injury, and at least some of the hits Burrow is taking are on the RB’s. They’ve been terrible in pass protection.

But yes, the OL has to be much, much better.

I said back in the offseason that simply bringing back Frank Pollack, signing Reiff, and drafting a 2nd round guy who is converting from LT to RG isn't likely going to turn this OL into a good OL.

They really needed to go for a better IOL in FA if they were planning on going after a guy who was going to change positions.
Maybe by the end of the season RG is established or they address it properly next offseason.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:18 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I said back in the offseason that simply bringing back Frank Pollack, signing Reiff, and drafting a 2nd round guy who is converting from LT to RG isn't likely going to turn this OL into a good OL.

They really needed to go for a better IOL in FA if they were planning on going after a guy who was going to change positions.
Maybe by the end of the season RG is established or they address it properly next offseason.

I want to see Carman in game before I give up on the idea of him being a solid RG. There are some people who are gamers and don't practice well and I am hoping the injury to XSF gives us a shot to see him, even against a really good front, and get an evaluation. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:21 PM)Au165 Wrote: I want to see Carman in game before I give up on the idea of him being a solid RG. There are some people who are gamers and don't practice well and I am hoping the injury to XSF gives us a shot to see him, even against a really good front, and get an evaluation. 

I want to see him in action too, and I was (am?) confident he could turn into a good player.
However, I didn't think that would happen immediately.
I figured he'd need at least half a season to get there.

If the desire was to have a player step in immediately and be good at RG, I would have gone after someone else.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:21 PM)Au165 Wrote: I want to see Carman in game before I give up on the idea of him being a solid RG. There are some people who are gamers and don't practice well and I am hoping the injury to XSF gives us a shot to see him, even against a really good front, and get an evaluation. 

Im thinking we see Smith before Carman
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I want to see him in action too, and I was (am?) confident he could turn into a good player.
However, I didn't think that would happen immediately.
I figured he'd need at least half a season to get there.

If the desire was to have a player step in immediately and be good at RG, I would have gone after someone else.

I think they hoped he'd be ready quicker but sometimes trial by fire is the only way. I'd feel more comfortable if Hopkins was playing better right now.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:25 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Im thinking we see Smith before Carman

Two weeks in a row of Carman being active over Smith tells me it'll be Carman first.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:25 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think they hoped he'd be ready quicker but sometimes trial by fire is the only way. I'd feel more comfortable if Hopkins was playing better right now.

Hopkins playing poorly (especially in pass protection) is really head scratching to me.
I did watch the game, but I didn't get good enough looks at the bar to see if he was being hampered by his injury from last year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote