Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's time for the Bengals to hire Urban Meyer
(10-11-2016, 01:47 PM)JumboTron Wrote: As of right now three coaches in the NFL: Carroll, Andy Reid and Belichick hold the titles of Executive Vice President of Football Operations  along with HC duties.  Caroll and Reid both have GM's to report to but the consensus is that both have the final say on all personnel decisions..  Belichick?  Well he can do whatever the hell he wants whenever he wants as he should.

Exactly, it's not as common as people think.  Carroll owes a lot his success to his GM that he had.

I've never really bought into Belichick's way of being a GM.  He really doesn't do THAT well in the draft.  I love him as a coach, but I think that he would have had a couple more rings if he would have drafted better.

Personally, IF we make a change, I would 100% trust Tobin to make the right hire.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 01:26 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I don't think he would transition to the NFL very well. He runs college schemes. He would need time to adjust and we don't know how well he will adjust.

I gotta agree....I've been watching him since his days at Utah.  His QBs haven't exactly set the woods on fire in the NFL.....totally different scheme.  Hell, my boy Jimbo Fisher mopped the floor up with his Gators.

(10-11-2016, 01:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Big name coaches want to run a franchise. Mike Brown would never let that happen. That's one of the reasons why Marvin Lewis has been here so long. He can co-exist with Mike Brown.

Guys like Cowhere, Gruden, etc...will NEVER come here.

This is very true.....good to see ya back on the boards Pistons. ThumbsUp

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 01:50 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Kind of irrelevant if Lewis has.

Point being he's been here in his irrelevancy for 13 years and you would be 'hesitant' to take a chance on Meyer?
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 01:53 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Point being he's been here in his irrelevancy for 13 years and you would be 'hesitant' to take a chance on Meyer?

Why wouldn't I? If I touch a hot stove I'm going to be hesitant about touching it again. We hired Marvin with no NFL head coaching experience and I want a proven coach next time we hire. Unless it's someone like Zimmer who has been doing a damn good job in the NFL as a coordinator.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 01:59 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Why wouldn't I? If I touch a hot stove I'm going to be hesitant about touching it again. We hired Marvin with no NFL head coaching experience and I want a proven coach next time we hire. Unless it's someone like Zimmer who has been doing a damn good job in the NFL as a coordinator.

Have to agree with this.  Meyer is, in my opinion, the greatest head coach in college football and may be the best to ever do it at the collegiate level.  Ultra respect for the guy, but I do not want Cincy to be the place to have a college coach learning on the job, even one of Meyer's pedigree. The NFL is a different animal entirely in terms of managing a group of 53 grown men, many of whom earn more $ than you do.  That, along with Meyer in all likelihood NOT having complete control of his roster are one of the biggest reasons why I see a jump into the NFL as unlikely for Urbz.

Reply/Quote
No it isnt, as I am perfectly happy with him as hc of my Buckeyes. Now bring in Jim Harbaugh away from the team up north, then Im all for it. Plus he made it to a Super Bowl.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 01:51 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Exactly, it's not as common as people think.  Carroll owes a lot his success to his GM that he had.

I've never really bought into Belichick's way of being a GM.  He really doesn't do THAT well in the draft.  I love him as a coach, but I think that he would have had a couple more rings if he would have drafted better.

Personally, IF we make a change, I would 100% trust Tobin to make the right hire.

Dude, you are kidding, right?  Since going to New England (I'm not sure what year he was given full control) the guy has been to the AFC Championship Game 10 out of 15 years.  He has been to the Super Bowl six times, winning four of them.  In a league that is built for parity, that is an phenomenal record.  Between the draft, free agency, and knowing who to keep that organization does a amazing job.
Reply/Quote
would hate to see OSU lose Meyer but I would love to see the Bengals hire him.

He will never come even if offered a big salary because Brown won't let a new coach hire his own staff.
Reply/Quote