Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
It's time to admit...
(10-29-2018, 12:58 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think injuries are mounting up and affecting team chemistry.  They do not have great depth at some positions like backer.

Maybe I just instinctively blocked out or didn't notice the bad plays, but I thought Evans played decently well? He seemed around the ball a lot and made some good plays.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think they are a slightly above average team. probably in the 10-14 range if you had to rank them all. I think it's actually pretty impressive they have a record of 5-3 with the amount of injuries so far.

But, this team is still held back by coaching. That's their biggest weakness. (oh and the linebackers lol)
Reply/Quote
Let's see we played a tough schedule and are 5-3

Steelers - 4-2-1
Chiefs - 7-1 (only loss on road in close game to Pats)
Carolina - just destroyed the Ravens
Bucs - Beat Saints
Dolphins - Were paying well when they played us
Colts - Any Luck team at home is dangerous
Ravens - many said they would win the AFCN and go to Super Bowl
Falcons - on road beat Matty Ice

How can anyone of sound mind say the Bengals suck this year? A team has to get into the dance to win the NCAA basketball tourney and into the playoffs to win the Lombardi. As of right now Bengals are dancing, why aren't all of the fans happy they have progressed from 2017.

Last, Boling getting hurt is a big deal nd may help explain woes in 2nd half yesterday. Also, no Gio and no Price has hurt the offense. Ross may night live up to draft position, but I would argue AD was starting to trust him more, he has 2 TD's in limited action. In contrast guys like Marvin Jones have 5 TD's thus far, Julio Jones has no TD's in 2018.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
we are looking like a playoff team right now based on no other options in the AFC. you have Pats Steelers Texans Chiefs and Chargers as 5 teams. we have a 2 game lead on everyone else besides Ravens. Ravens have a hard schedule 2nd half. we beat Ravens we are in the drivers seat for a playoff spot.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 10:53 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Let's see we played a tough schedule and are 5-3

Steelers - 4-2-1
Chiefs - 7-1 (only loss on road in close game to Pats)
Carolina - just destroyed the Ravens
Bucs - Beat Saints
Dolphins - Were paying well when they played us
Colts - Any Luck team at home is dangerous
Ravens - many said they would win the AFCN and go to Super Bowl
Falcons - on road beat Matty Ice

How can anyone of sound mind say the Bengals suck this year? A team has to get into the dance to win the NCAA basketball tourney and into the playoffs to win the Lombardi. As of right now Bengals are dancing, why aren't all of the fans happy they have progressed from 2017.

Last, Boling getting hurt is a big deal nd may help explain woes in 2nd half yesterday. Also, no Gio and no Price has hurt the offense. Ross may night live up to draft position, but I would argue AD was starting to trust him more, he has 2 TD's in limited action. In contrast guys like Marvin Jones have 5 TD's thus far, Julio Jones has no TD's in 2018.

I don't think the Bengals suck at all. I feel they have some serious issues, many of which besides the injuries are addressable ones.

For one the offense has to find ways to get out of the 2nd half funk they've been in. Price coming back will hopefully shore up the Oline a bit. Gio being back will help. 

I think the D has to get more creative with blitzes and stunts to get more pressure,

And so on.
Reply/Quote
One thing the Bengals might choose to do is give Austin at least one more year to implement his system and get guys that better fit that system. He seems to prefer aggressive, fast, twitchy guys and some of the defense doesn’t fit that mold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 01:03 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: This team stinks.  Squeaking into the playoffs to get blown out is not a successful season. We need some rebuilding ASAP.

if you can make it to the playoffs you don't need to rebuilt  you just need to retool a bit...  IE one or two pieces..

right now we are losing players left and right.

and there seems to be communication issues in the secondary.

(Ryan Fitz has been on fire this season  we likely just ended wintsons season/career)

Defense on pace for a record bad year in Yards.... Buts its the points that matter... And they have scored 3 or 4 times for us already.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 11:06 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't think the Bengals suck at all. I feel they have some serious issues, many of which besides the injuries are addressable ones.

For one the offense has to find ways to get out of the 2nd half funk they've been in. Price coming back will hopefully shore up the Oline a bit. Gio being back will help. 

I think the D has to get more creative with blitzes and stunts to get more pressure,

And so on.

The Bengals came back with great 2nd half offensive performances at Indy and against Miami. They took the lead over Steelers with great drive. AD now has 4 game winning drives in 2018, that shows our offense is doing something right.

I saw the Eagles blow a 17 point 4th quarter lead 2 weeks ago and lose. It is the NFL, they play against pros every second. Yes, I want us to figure out our shortcomings. But, I would rather be 5-3 than 3-5 figuring out how to get better. I think we agree on that.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
At the half way point, this teams is:

17th in total offense
32nd in total defense yards/game, 29th by points/game
-4th in INT
-12th in Forced Fumbles (7 FF but only recovered 3)

I have no idea how we are 5-3 but we are. We are not great in any particular category except takeaways. This looks to be a year where we live and die by forcing turnovers. We have no idea how to step on a team's neck when we are up. That means my blood pressure hates this year!
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 10:31 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Bottom line is anything can happen. Everyone is saying Brees will destroy us, but Tampa Bay beat them. We CAN win every game left on the schedule if they played to their potential. Now, will they? No... but I think we end up with 9 or 10 wins, which was my pre-season prediction.

Let me amend my prediction with stats I posted in another thread, in order to win more than 2 or 3 more games this team will have to score 30+ points minimum!

Cleveland, Denver, San Diego, Pittsburgh and Baltimore all averaging 20+ points per game.

New Orleans averaging 34.

Defensively the teams we have left are giving up the following points per game;

Oakland 31.1
Cleveland 26.3
New Orleans 26.1
Pittsburgh 24.6
Denver 24.3
Chargers 23.3
Baltimore 17.1
Reply/Quote
Say what you want but this team is better than the last one we had the last 2 seasons and our record shows, last year around this time we were 3 - 5. Which means we HAVE turned things around. We definitely not dominant, but we are on the winning side and winning gives us the chance to the playoffs and more.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 10:45 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Maybe I just instinctively blocked out or didn't notice the bad plays, but I thought Evans played decently well? He seemed around the ball a lot and made some good plays.

He did well the last game but has been inconsistent. Sometimes he is no where near the ball. 
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 01:03 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: This team stinks.  Squeaking into the playoffs to get blown out is not a successful season. We need some rebuilding ASAP.

Completely disagree.  We are the second youngest team in the NFL.  We will.only get better.  Definitely we need offensive line help.  And we Need to FIRE Teryl Austin!!!!
Worst D coordinator of all time.  That will fix a lot with this team.  I would promote Haslet.  Can only be better.  Omg fire Austin!  Please.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 01:44 PM)OSU-Buckeye-Bengal Wrote: Completely disagree.  We are the second youngest team in the NFL.  We will.only get better.  Definitely we need offensive line help.  And we Need to FIRE Teryl Austin!!!!
Worst D coordinator of all time.  That will fix a lot with this team.  I would promote Haslet.  Can only be better.  Omg fire Austin!  Please.

I agree, we promote Haslet and fire Austin. He did bring a more aggressive take the ball away mentality, but something is very wrong. We have 2 very good DL, some decent cover corners so n way this group should be heading for worst in history for a season.

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 01:54 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree, we promote Haslet and fire Austin. He did bring a more aggressive take the ball away mentality, but something is very wrong. We have 2 very good DL, some decent cover corners so n way this group should be heading for worst in history for a season.

Yards allowed - 32nd (15 yards per game worse than 31st)

Points allowed - 29th

Opponent's passer rating - 20th (a category we've always excelled in until now)
Opponent's yards per carry - 29th

First downs allowed - 31st
3rd down % - 32nd (a whopping 55.9%) - Zimmer is #1 in this category, at 25.6%

Defensive penalties - 29th

----

I know I've been saying that we don't have a worthy interim DC on the staff (and we really don't), but it'd be hard to do any worse than Austin has. Admit the mistake and let Haslett run out the string. I agree that we have too much talent to be THIS bad. I get that we have a few bad spots, but still.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 02:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yards allowed - 32nd (15 yards per game worse than 31st)

Points allowed - 29th

Opponent's passer rating - 20th (a category we've always excelled in until now)
Opponent's yards per carry - 29th

First downs allowed - 31st
3rd down % - 32nd (a whopping 55.9%) - Zimmer is #1 in this category, at 25.6%

Defensive penalties - 29th

----

I know I've been saying that we don't have a worthy interim DC on the staff (and we really don't), but it'd be hard to do any worse than Austin has. Admit the mistake and let Haslett run out the string. I agree that we have too much talent to be THIS bad. I get that we have a few bad spots, but still.

If you would have told me at the end of preseason we'd have the worst defense in the NFL I would have laughed in your face.

It's amazing how bad the D is, dumbfounding !
Reply/Quote
5-3, half the team injured. Yeah, we suck.

My wife gives me all the hysterics I can handle. BYE BYE.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 06:33 PM)McC Wrote: 5-3, half the team injured.  Yeah, we suck.

My wife gives me all the hysterics I can handle.  BYE BYE.

Yeah, and just think how bad we're going to suck when we start getting back all the injured players.  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 10:28 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I don't see 5 more wins with the remaining schedule.  Would love to see it happen. Most think Broncos a win, but Denver played the Chiefs twice and lost by 4 one game, and 7 the other.

They lost to the Rams by 3 points.

Calling Bull 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 12:14 AM)Tomkat Wrote: This team is just NOT very good.
How can they look so dominant in the first half, only to look equally inept in the second half?  The defense gave up 576 yards of offense, including 18 points in the 4th quarter to Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Hell, if he played the whole game, the Bengals probably lose by 20.
The win is nice, but better not get used to them, because it's starting to look like they're going to be MUCH harder to come by.

I think it is time to admit how sad it is that some fans have to come up with "Excuses" for our victories.

The Bengals could lose our entire starting line up to injuries and a certain crowd here would be "NO EXCUSES.  ALL THAT MATTERS IS THE WON LOSS RECORD.  GOOD TEAMS FIND WAYS TO WIN."   But when the Bengals have a winning record they are all like "THE OPPOSING COACH MADE A MISTAKE, THE SUN WAS IN THEIR QB'S EYES, THEY DROPPED EASY PASSES, BENGALS JUST GOT LUCKY, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH"
Reply/Quote