Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's time to go get Rick Wagner
(08-05-2021, 08:48 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: There's no replacing the space man.

As to the Oline I'm not sure how they can avoid bringing in some depth ?

They could just say that it's precautionary stuff and they like the lineup they have and it's only training camp and preseason doesn't matter and see you in week 1 when we can claim it's only week 1 and they need time to gel and no one gets the Lombardi in week 1. 

This franchise does try to fix the oline, so credit there, but they also seem to only do so much per year and claim they can't possibly do any more.  I don't know what will happen, but I can imagine nothing happening. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It might come down to the choice of extending Bates vs. adding another tackle.

It is easy to say that you want to sign another tackle, but Bates might be more affordable now than if he has an all-pro season.

I have more faith in Fred Johnson at tackle (he never should have been at guard). The Bengals are an unbelievable 3-1 in games he has started. I think old Fred is one of those guys that doesn't show up much in practice but is solid on game day.

I understand he has a minor quad injury, but he should be in good shape and a solid backup before the season starts.

One other thing to consider is that if you do add another tackle, you likely lose Fred or Smith.
Reply/Quote
I'd be fine with signing Wagner or another vet. I also don't see why Jackson Carmen can't kick to tackle if needed he played tackle at a high level in college. I get it might stunt his growth at guard but sometimes you just got to put the best lineup on the field. Also Johnson has been decent at tackle at times maybe the coaching staff has faith in him. One thing this team hasn't had in a while is a versatile lineman who can play multiple positions well like Clint Boling or Whitworth who could play both guard and tackle well.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 09:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It might come down to the choice of extending Bates vs. adding another tackle.  

It is easy to say that you want to sign another tackle, but Bates might be more affordable now than if he has an all-pro season.  

I have more faith in Fred Johnson at tackle (he never should have been at guard).  The Bengals are an unbelievable 3-1 in games he has started.  I think old Fred is one of those guys that doesn't show up much in practice but is solid on game day.  

I understand he has a minor quad injury, but he should be in good shape and a solid backup before the season starts.  

One other thing to consider is that if you do add another tackle, you likely lose Fred or Smith.

We have 19 million in cap room should be right around 5th most in league.  We can sign 2 tackles 2 guards and bates and just about anybody else out there that we want at this point.  We can structure contracts however we want but with 19 mil of room we can easily sign bates and oline help without much cap manipulation at all.
Reply/Quote
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31971960/source-new-york-giants-ol-zach-fulton-team-3rd-player-retire-4-days

The Giants had two OL retire, Fulton isn't even 30. It's a crapshoot if players will play or have covid issues, we signed Spain off the street and moved him around to start immediately.

It's negligent to not attempt to have depth in house and if you're out a little bonus money so be it. They need to have someone with tackle experience.
Reply/Quote
How is a deceased 17th Century German composer going to help the Bengals?

Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Bengals need to definitely still be looking at any O-linemen that can help out even if mentoring. Although really need a someone to step right in and should be watching the camp casualty cuts like a starving hawk perched and watching a field while salivating.

The Wagner and Schwartz are certainly viable candidates and believe more will become available. Bengals have to pull the trigger on one or two of these players imo.

On different "note" I went to a KISS concert in 1978 but only because Bon Scott and AC/DC was warming up for them and was a huge fan of AC/DC already. KISS not so much although did always like Detroit Rock City.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
While it may seem like fun to rub it in to the portion of the fan community who believed that the Bengals OL was going to make a dramatic turnaround, simply by bringing back Frank Pollack as the OL Coach, that the Bengals should have done much more in regard to rebuilding the OL by adding higher priced, proven quality veterans. On the converse side of things, It's really rather alarming when you look at just how bad the OL is performing in training camp.

So far, Reilly Reiff, the team's only plunge into even the lower end of mid-tier OL FAs, has already pulled a hamstring, having to run down a pick6, the day before they even put the pads on. At his age, that hamstring will likely come back to nag him off and on throughout the season. Our primary backup Tackle, Fred Johnson is out for some length of time, leaving 4th round developmental project Tackle, D'Ante Smith as the only option to practice with.

Enough is enough! Joe Burrow is already looking iffy and shaky for unexplained reasons (though I suspect a perceived lack of confidence in the OL), we haven't seem much of any highlights of Joe Mixon even gashing the defense thus far in camp, which makes me suspect that the team isn't even focusing on running the ball. Someone in the organization needs to make an executive decision to go after whatever tested and experienced OL talent is still out there. Wagner may be set on retiring, but Schwartz and Okung are still on the street.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 03:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: While it may seem like fun to rub it in to the portion of the fan community who believed that the Bengals OL was going to make a dramatic turnaround, simply by bringing back Frank Pollack as the OL Coach,  that the Bengals should have done much more in regard to rebuilding the OL by adding higher priced, proven quality veterans.  On the converse side of things, It's really rather alarming when you look at just how bad the OL is performing in training camp.

So far, Reilly Reiff, the team's only plunge into even the lower end of mid-tier OL FAs, has already pulled a hamstring, having to run down a  pick6, the day before they even put the pads on.  At his age, that hamstring will likely come back to nag him off and on throughout the season.  Our primary backup Tackle, Fred Johnson is out for some length of time, leaving 4th round developmental project Tackle, D'Ante Smith as the only option to practice with.

Enough is enough!  Joe Burrow is already looking iffy and shaky for unexplained reasons (though I suspect a perceived lack of confidence in the OL), we haven't seem much of any highlights of Joe Mixon even gashing the defense thus far in camp, which makes me suspect that the team isn't even focusing on running the ball.  Someone in the organization needs to make an executive decision to go after whatever tested and experienced OL talent is still out there.  Wagner may be set on retiring, but Schwartz and Okung are still on the street.

We should be signing any vet we can right now. I know its early in camp, but goodness how bad can a unit be even early in training camp? Multiple sacks, multiple false starts, a QB who is trying to come back from serious OL induced injury. We need as much depth as we can get. 

Another rundown of todays practice:

[/url]@JayMorrisonATH
[url=https://twitter.com/JayMorrisonATH]

Another rough practice for Joe Burrow and the #Bengals offense. Burrow was 4 of 11 in 11s and took a pair of "sacks" on back-to-back plays.

The O-line running with the first group had 4 false starts.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 06:19 PM)bengaloo Wrote: We should be signing any vet we can right now. I know its early in camp, but goodness how bad can a unit be even early in training camp? Multiple sacks, multiple false starts, a QB who is trying to come back from serious OL induced injury. We need as much depth as we can get. 

Another rundown of todays practice:

[/url]@JayMorrisonATH
[url=https://twitter.com/JayMorrisonATH]

Another rough practice for Joe Burrow and the #Bengals offense. Burrow was 4 of 11 in 11s and took a pair of "sacks" on back-to-back plays.

The O-line running with the first group had 4 false starts.

Going through a season injured and undisciplined is no way to win a football game, young men.  Get your shit together, and know the G-D snap count!!

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Bengals aren't signing anything beyond camp bodies.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 09:52 PM)Destro Wrote: Bengals aren't signing anything beyond camp bodies.

Is that what you think, or is that what Brian Patteronia called and told you?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 10:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Is that what you think, or is that what Brian Patteronia called and told you?

I have no idea who that is. Pre-season is about to start, and looking at the Bengals history, barring a string of injuries, I do not think any week one starters for the Bengals are anywhere else but in stripes. 

Could be wrong. I would be happy to be, actually, but just am thinking the 53 are here.
Reply/Quote