Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's time we moved on from Dunlap.
If you believe the main board.....
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Bengals-eye-Geno-Dunlap-for-deals-of-ages/224843e9-7bb4-4506-8f19-e76ca2eafc0b
Reply/Quote
There's zero reason to move on from him. There's also zero reason why we can't sign both considering we will roll over money.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 11:29 AM)bambino5130 Wrote: Well maybe you don't pay Dre Kirkpatrick 10 million a year.

If the choice was between Dre and Los......... what would that choice be?

Dunlop is a way better player and worth more money than the foul machine.

Why they signed Dre to a big contract and let Whit  and Z walk remains a puzzle to me.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 03:14 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Dunlop is a way better player and worth more money than the foul machine.

Why they signed Dre to a big contract and let Whit  and Z walk remains a puzzle to me.

Because Zeitler got crazy money and Whit is old.....
Reply/Quote
Carlos is one of the few areas of strengths this team has. Why would you screw that up.
Reply/Quote
Quote:His big contract was 5 years at $39.3 Mil He'll make $7.3 Mil this season, his highest paid year to date
Wow..tough to fathom how anyone can survive and keep a roof over their heads with that kind of chicken feed salary.. 7.3 million?  Why, I'd have to eat grass from the neighbors back yard with that kind of money and go swipe toilet paper at the corner gas station.. I guess I'm just missing the big picture here..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 07:21 PM)grampahol Wrote: Wow..tough to fathom how anyone can survive and keep a roof over their heads with that kind of chicken feed salary.. 7.3 million?  Why, I'd have to eat grass from the neighbors back yard with that kind of money and go swipe toilet paper at the corner gas station.. 

Good Lord, your as dramatic as my wife? LOL...

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 07:23 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Good Lord, your as dramatic as my wife? LOL...

I just go spend crazy whenever I get paid a paltry 7.3 million and blow it all on cheap coffee or something .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 04:34 AM)Shady Wrote: I'd be happy with Tevan Bryan in the first round.

Lorenzo Carter in round 3.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 03:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If you believe the main board.....
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Bengals-eye-Geno-Dunlap-for-deals-of-ages/224843e9-7bb4-4506-8f19-e76ca2eafc0b

Just by reading the context of what Troy Blackburn said, seems to me that Geno is the #1 priority (as he should be), and Carlos is next up.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 07:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Just by reading the context of what Troy Blackburn said, seems to me that Geno is the #1 priority (as he should be), and Carlos is next up.

Yes, I took it to mean he was looking at extending both.... and they will. Bank on it.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 01:17 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: So every season I make an installment of this...fantastic series giving logical arguments and sound predictions concerning which players we need to move on from. My infamous Jeremy Hill thread before the 2016 season comes to mind.

This year it's Dunlap and here's why...

Geno has dominated more consistently than Dunlap. The dirty secret is that we're probably only going to keep one. That's for Geno.

Jordan Willis and Carl Lawson and possibly one D end this draft will step up.

Most importantly, Dunlap is most likely to pull a Carson. If you look through social media post 2015, he's made a lot of passive aggressive jabs at the bengals. He probably doesn't want to come back anyway unless we overpay him.

I disagree, need to keep both Geno and Dunlap. Dunlap is still pretty young and neither Willis nor Lawson have proven
they can come even close to matching his production. Bad year for Ends as well in the Draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2018, 05:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I disagree, need to keep both Geno and Dunlap. Dunlap is still pretty young and neither Willis nor Lawson have proven
they can come even close to matching his production. Bad year for Ends as well in the Draft.

This!

The magic percent of cap allocated to top 10 players on winning Teams is in the mid 50% range (52% to 59%). Now that stipulates that you draft well and get contribution from the rest.

But winning correlates with paying your top players.

Generally on offense, its the QB, LT, WR and on defense its DEs/Rush LBs and DBs. If you have a star in other positions (DT, LB, TE, G, S, etc.), its icing if you can fit them in the formula.

Dunlap plays a premier position and excels at it. Impact of his loss would be almost on the same scale as Whitworth's.
Reply/Quote
Move on from Dunlap? Woah now let's not talk crazy.

Dunlap is one of the better strong side edge defenders. He has the size and length to hold the edge verses the run and has the speed and short area quickness to be a solid pass rusher.

But that doesn't even tell you how good he really is because his best attribute is what's between his ears. He understands offenses and passing lanes and is able to use his athleticism to just annoy QBs by batting down balls and getting incompletions by forcing the QB to change the trajectory of throws.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Or, you could do the smart thing and sign both Dunlap and Atkins while still having money to sign others.
Because. You know. It's possible with the money the Bengals have.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2018, 10:53 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Or, you could do the smart thing and sign both Dunlap and Atkins while still having money to sign others.

Wishful thinking. 

I'll make a sig bet, right now, that we don't keep both. I'm just going with the trend here with how the FO operates. 

Hall or Joseph. Chad or TJ. ETC.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 01:17 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: So every season I make an installment of this...fantastic series giving logical arguments and sound predictions concerning which players we need to move on from. My infamous Jeremy Hill thread before the 2016 season comes to mind.

This year it's Dunlap and here's why...

Geno has dominated more consistently than Dunlap. The dirty secret is that we're probably only going to keep one. That's for Geno.

Jordan Willis and Carl Lawson and possibly one D end this draft will step up.

Most importantly, Dunlap is most likely to pull a Carson. If you look through social media post 2015, he's made a lot of passive aggressive jabs at the bengals. He probably doesn't want to come back anyway unless we overpay him.

Hum ? Yeah, Ah ... NO

I don't really see the need to move on from Dunlap. The team was perfectly willing to move on from Whit for a guy who did nothing and the season sucked.

Dunlap is a good DE and if you really want to move on from him put him on the trading block now, get a good pick this year and f-- the random comp pick in 2020.

The team needs OL help early in this draft. No room to draft a DE in 1st or 2nd round unless you can get another pick to spend early. Oakland might cough up their 2nd round pick for him.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 09:24 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: The only difference is that Hill turned out to be ass, just like I said he would. Remember when you thought otherwise and the thread triggered you? Pepperidge Farm remembers,

How is Hill an ass

Also Dunlap is great. Keep him another 2 years if possible, but after that the wheels will likely fall off
Reply/Quote
I like Dunlap, but Atkins has to be priority #1. Dunlap is a very good, not great, DE. He'll probably go down as one of the very best in Bengals history. We drafted people to eventually replace Dunalp, we're still trying to find a 3T to even spell Atkins during the game. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2018, 08:01 PM)XsandOs Wrote: This!

The magic percent of cap allocated to top 10 players on winning Teams is in the mid 50% range (52% to 59%). Now that stipulates that you draft well and get contribution from the rest.

But winning correlates with paying your top players.

Generally on offense, its the QB, LT, WR and on defense its DEs/Rush LBs and DBs. If you have a star in other positions (DT, LB, TE, G, S, etc.), its icing if you can fit them in the formula.

Dunlap plays a premier position and excels at it. Impact of his loss would be almost on the same scale as Whitworth's.

It would definately hurt us bad if we moved on from Dunlap and i completely agree with your entire post.

Not many Ends in the league are as good at stopping the run and rushing the passer at the same time as Dunlap, he does both
very well. Also has rare length and is more disruptive than the numbers show. Sacks are not everything.

(04-04-2018, 10:04 PM)Synric Wrote: Move on from Dunlap? Woah now let's not talk crazy.

Dunlap is one of the better strong side edge defenders. He has the size and length to hold the edge verses the run and has the speed and short area quickness to be a solid pass rusher.

But that doesn't even tell you how good he really is because his best attribute is what's between his ears. He understands offenses and passing lanes and is able to use his athleticism to just annoy QBs by batting down balls and getting incompletions by forcing the QB to change the trajectory of throws.

Great post, plus Dunlap is great at chasing down runners and receivers from behind and raking the ball out.

Surprised he hasn't caused more fumbles in his career honestly, still remember the time he just took the ball from Anquan Boldin.

(04-04-2018, 10:53 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Or, you could do the smart thing and sign both Dunlap and Atkins while still having money to sign others.

Yes sir, have plenty of dough to do just that.

(04-05-2018, 12:07 AM)eoxyod Wrote: How is Hill an ass

Also Dunlap is great. Keep him another 2 years if possible, but after that the wheels will likely fall off

I say a 4 year deal for Geno and a 3 year deal for Dunlap, Dunlap is still pretty damn young.

Was extremely young when we drafted him similar to Billings.

(04-05-2018, 12:34 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I like Dunlap, but Atkins has to be priority #1. Dunlap is a very good, not great, DE. He'll probably go down as one of the very best in Bengals history. We drafted people to eventually replace Dunalp, we're still trying to find a 3T to even spell Atkins during the game. 

Of course Geno is priority #1, but there is still no reason why we cannot afford both.
Reply/Quote