Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's time we moved on from Dunlap.
(04-04-2018, 11:14 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Wishful thinking. 

I'll make a sig bet, right now, that we don't keep both. I'm just going with the trend here with how the FO operates. 

Hall or Joseph. Chad or TJ. ETC.

Levi or Willie?
Reply/Quote
I disagree. to me, a DE is way more valuable than a DT imo. especially one who leads the league in tipped passes every year
Reply/Quote
1. I'm not sure why people are comparing Geno/Dunlap to Chad/Housh, Leon/JJo etc. They play different positions and last time they came up, the choice wasn't Atkins vs Dunlap, it was MJ vs Dunlap. We kept both Atkins and Dunlap, letting MJ walk.

2. We should probably repeat 2014 and keep Dunlap (and Atkins) and send MJ packing. That would clear up some room to get it done. Sign some low end FA or draft a guy to replace MJ. Bam. Done.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I don't know.

Counting Lawson, we only have, what, 4 defensive ends? I'd like to at least have a few extra in case of injury and to keep players fresh.

Maybe not extend him this offseason because he's getting up there in age, but we're in a win-now mode, meaning that we need all the proven talent we can get.

Sign Geno to a four-year contract with a team option for a fifth year.
Reply/Quote
Don't agree with the OP AT all.

Hell I'd ship off Burfict before letting Dunlap walk and we suck otherwise at the LB position.

Dunlap is a solid trustworthy DE that the team can rely on game in and game out.

Burfict is a game changer no doubt... but he's a shaky variable at best with his history.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
We don't move on from Dunlap.

But we do go DE in the first round this year.

Second round at the latest.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 09:56 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Getting rid of Dunlap would be really not smart. Plus, they have already said they are working on deals to extend both him and Geno. Geno will be hugely expensive, Dunlap not so much. He already got his big deal.....

Last time the Bengals had a DE that was almost as productive was Justin Smith, and that dude was a 3-4 end playing in a 4-3. We have no had great luck in my lifetime at finding consistently good defensive ends.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2018, 06:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. I'm not sure why people are comparing Geno/Dunlap to Chad/Housh, Leon/JJo etc. They play different positions and last time they came up, the choice wasn't Atkins vs Dunlap, it was MJ vs Dunlap. We kept both Atkins and Dunlap, letting MJ walk.

2. We should probably repeat 2014 and keep Dunlap (and Atkins) and send MJ packing. That would clear up some room to get it done. Sign some low end FA or draft a guy to replace MJ. Bam. Done.

So simple a Bengals front office executive could do it !!
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2018, 11:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We don't move on from Dunlap.

But we do go DE in the first round this year.

Second round at the latest.

Who is your End in the first then Fred? Davenport? Landry?

Not saying i would not like either as long as we get Ragnow or Price in the 2nd, just wondering...
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2018, 06:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 2. We should probably repeat 2014 and keep Dunlap (and Atkins) and send MJ packing. That would clear up some room to get it done. Sign some low end FA or draft a guy to replace MJ. Bam. Done.

This.

There was a rumor that we would cut some payroll after the draft.  I think that is because we go DE in the first or second and let MJ walk.

Even if we use a high draft pick on a safety we are so thin there we need to keep everyone.  Same with LB.  even if we draft a guy we need to keep Vinny Rey around for depth.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 02:26 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Who is your End in the first then Fred? Davenport? Landry?

Not saying i would not like either as long as we get Ragnow or Price in the 2nd, just wondering...

I have no clue.  

The people who analyze all the players in the draft may make a huge deal out of the exact slot of every player, but once you get to the 21st pick there is not a huge difference in the success rate of a guy taken 20 picks later.

I bet we find some DE to take in the first two rounds.

Interesting fact about Bengal DEs taken in the second round.  We got Margus Hunt with a #53 pick and Carlos Dunlap with a #54 pick.
Reply/Quote
They're gonna convert Ross to a DE and he'll get 40 sacks.. Just you wait and see .. Those who think I'm being silly will be sorry.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 08:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have no clue.  

The people who analyze all the players in the draft may make a huge deal out of the exact slot of every player, but once you get to the 21st pick there is not a huge difference in the success rate of a guy taken 20 picks later.

I bet we find some DE to take in the first two rounds.

Interesting fact about Bengal DEs taken in the second round.  We got Margus Hunt with a #53 pick and Carlos Dunlap with a #54 pick.

It is just not a very good Draft for Ends, i think this puts an even bigger emphasis on re-signing Dunlap.

After Geno of course.

A couple ends besides Davenport and Landry i like are Rasheem Green out of USC and Jalyn Holmes of OSU.

Could get one of these guys in the mid rounds and that is the way i would like to go with the early picks on O-line.
Reply/Quote
I like Dunlap. He brings more than just some sacks to the table. He's good against the run and very good at batting down passes and disrupting the backfield in general. I think we would miss him if he left, even with a couple young guys who are promising. Keeping guys fresh has been good to us. If we can rotate a handful of guys who can all rush the passer pretty well and get pressure consistently, its almost better than having that one guy who is a sack monster.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2018, 12:07 AM)eoxyod Wrote: How is Hill an ass

Also Dunlap is great. Keep him another 2 years if possible, but after that the wheels will likely fall off

I didn't say he was an ass. Only that he is ass.

But the more I think about it, he did turn into more of a douche.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2018, 01:17 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: So every season I make an installment of this...fantastic series giving logical arguments and sound predictions concerning which players we need to move on from. My infamous Jeremy Hill thread before the 2016 season comes to mind.

This year it's Dunlap and here's why...

Geno has dominated more consistently than Dunlap. The dirty secret is that we're probably only going to keep one. That's for Geno.

Jordan Willis and Carl Lawson and possibly one D end this draft will step up.

Most importantly, Dunlap is most likely to pull a Carson. If you look through social media post 2015, he's made a lot of passive aggressive jabs at the bengals. He probably doesn't want to come back anyway unless we overpay him.

I thought you were going to say it's time to move on from Burfict.  Always getting suspended or concussions Burfict. Big penalties at the wrong times Burfict. Lucky if he plays in half the games Burfict.  The team wins more when Burfict suspended Burfict.  That's who I thought you were going to say we need to move on from, not our best D player Dunlap. I didn't think you were going to say move on from our best D Player. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2018, 06:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Sign some low end FA or draft a guy to replace MJ. Bam. Done.
"Low end FA or draft "a guy""
That simple ?
Sounds like the Bengals usual way of doing things.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 06:54 PM)kevin Wrote: I thought you were going to say it's time to move on from Burfict.  Always getting suspended or concussions Burfict. Big penalties at the wrong times Burfict. Lucky if he plays in half the games Burfict.  The team wins more when Burfict suspended Burfict.  That's who I thought you were going to say we need to move on from, not our best D player Dunlap. I didn't think you were going to say move on from our best D Player. 

The team wins more when Burfict is suspended?

I doubt it. The Defense plays ten times better when he is out there.

Geno and Burfict are our best Defensive players, no offense to Dunlap who is a damn good End.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2018, 06:54 PM)kevin Wrote: I thought you were going to say it's time to move on from Burfict.  Always getting suspended or concussions Burfict. Big penalties at the wrong times Burfict. Lucky if he plays in half the games Burfict.  The team wins more when Burfict suspended Burfict.  That's who I thought you were going to say we need to move on from, not our best D player Dunlap. I didn't think you were going to say move on from our best D Player. 

16, 16, 5(the year his knee was shredded), 10, 11, 10.  I'm no math whiz but I do own a calculator and that comes out to 70%. 

And, no, the team does not win more without him.   With all the actual truths about him at your disposal, why make shit up?

Also, Geno says who is our best defensive player?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 01:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The team wins more when Burfict is suspended?

I doubt it. The Defense plays ten times better when he is out there.

Geno and Burfict are our best Defensive players, no offense to Dunlap who is a damn good End.

Dunlap's better than Burfict.

He may not make as big an impact as Burfict, but he's a once in a decade DE.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote