Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"It sounds like the Bengals are going to be more active in free agency"
(02-26-2020, 06:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You look it up.  You were the one who made the statement that he was a "C" level signing.  So why not post something to back it up?

I post facts to back up my opinions.  Why do you feel you don't have to?

Lets compare the Howard signing to some other 2011 free agent signings:

Brad Smith (WR) - 4 years, $15 million
Olindo Mare (K) - 4 years, $12 million
Thomas Howard (LB) - 2 years, $6.5 million
Johnathan Joseph (CB) - 5 years, $48 million
Paul Poslusnzy (LB) - 6 years, $42 million
Clint Session (LB) - 5 years, $30 million
Wayne Hunter (OT) - 4 years, $13 million
Jeromy Clary (OT) - 4 years, $20 million
Tarvaris Jackson (QB) - 2 years, $8 million
Sidney Rice (WR) - 5 years, $41 million
Quintin Mikell (S) - 4 years, $28 million
Quincy Black (LB) - 5 years, $29 million
Josh Wilson (CB) - 3 years, $13.5 million
Stephen Bowen (DE) - 5 years, $27.5 million
Chris Chester (G) - 5 years, $20 million

This is just a portion of the 2011 signings, and only includes players who changed teams and weren't traded. Does that look like a big signing to you? Talent-wise? Or by contract size?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 06:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But there is no other source for the claims.  No one from any team has ever said anything like that except Walsh.

Why would a team come out and back that up? There would be nothing but controversy in it for them.

(02-26-2020, 06:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not makin g up anything.  You complain about Mike Brown never signing an "A" level free agent and the example you use is Suh.

And when we sign a player that starts and improves our team, like Thomas, you whine about that being "same old C level signing"

Uh, yes. Yes you are. I didn't "complain" about not signing a tier A free agent.

I simply stated that Thomas Howard was a tier C free agent, then attempted to clarify what I view to be tier A and B.

Nowhere in any post did I say I want top tier free agents, nor was it implied in any way, shape or form.

Tier B is the sweet spot, IMO. The top guys usually command too much money. Suh would be an example of that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 04:15 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Me too, any one of those guys would upgrade positions in need. Hell if we got all 3 of them would be in good shape going into the draft to take more or less BPA which having the first pick in every round could be a good thing.

Also hope we get more picks by trading Andy and Glenn. We could hit a homerun this offseason if we play our cards right. Hope Zac/Tobin/Brown get it done.

True, we are actually in a great position if we do as you say. Be somewhat active in FA and sign a Guard like Glasgow 
and a LB like Schobert, trade Dalton and Glenn, draft Burrow and the Draft the rest of the way is pretty much opened 
up and we can add players for the future in place of our aging stars like AJ, Geno, maybe a Safety to replace Shawn etc.

(02-26-2020, 04:22 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: You know, that's what is so frustrating about being a Bengals fan. The fan base already accepts that were not going after a top tier free agent, we'll sign a few middle of the road to lower tier free agents after the dust settles and that's if were lucky, and we as fans will be thankful for the scraps. If the Bengals ever sign a big free agent on the first day of free agency, even if they had to overpay for the likes of a Thuney or Scheriff, I'd probably shit myself and be a babbling wreck for a few days walking around in disbelief; and when I did come to my senses, I'd want to know what Katie and the rest of the family had done to Mike Brown.

Yeah, I have to use the word "somewhat" cause we all know we won't go all out in FA and get top tier guys.

Like you said, would blow all of our minds if we went all out and actually did get a couple top tier guys.

For example a Thuney/Trevathan FA would blow my mind.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 06:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You look it up.  You were the one who made the statement that he was a "C" level signing.  So why not post something to back it up?

I post facts to back up my opinions.  Why do you feel you don't have to?

Thomas Davis is a C level sign bottom line.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2020, 02:52 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Good list Nate.  Bengals will not sign the top tier OL unfortunately.  But I can see them signing both Schobert and Kwiatkoski to add with Pratt.  Draft a rookie backer in Queen or Brooks.  I think Graham Glasgow will be the Guard they bring to Cincinnati.  Just my thoughts.    

I hope you are Nate are right. This would be out of character and a great step in the right direction.

:andy:
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote