Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks like Taylor may have learned at least one lesson
(02-22-2020, 06:05 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Dont forget Clint boling retiring out of nowhere

Yeah, that sure doesn't help a new HC, nor a new OL coach.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2020, 05:53 AM)Tony Wrote: I am still 100% on board with Taylor going forward. He took over a bad team that had 2 guys at key positions miss the whole year. He will make strides this year. He was doing a much better job with the offense at the end of last year
Throw in a superstar QB and add some more pieces and He will be just fine..

I want to believe this but I'm still a bit of a skeptic. Everybody keeps talking about the late season improvement and I don't disagree that there was some. However I question how much there really was given the competition we played ?

In my mind ZT has to do a complete 180 in the in game play calling/coaching area. Lets be honest we looked like a minor league team pretty much across the board last year. He looked out of his league.

I hope you're right ! We come out the gate 1-4 next season the pitchforks and torches will be out.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2020, 03:34 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: that really shouldn't have had to take a year to learn hes been in training camps before.

It also shouldn't have taken through the bye week last year to learn the OL blocking was bad and change it up. Yet here we are.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2020, 03:28 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I want to believe this but I'm still a bit of a skeptic. Everybody keeps talking about the late season improvement and I don't disagree that there was some. However I question how much there really was given the competition we played ?

In my mind ZT has to do a complete 180 in the in game play calling/coaching area. Lets be honest we looked like a minor league team pretty much across the board last year. He looked out of his league.

I hope you're right ! We come out the gate 1-4 next season the pitchforks and torches will be out.

Yeah, will have to see some major improvement from Zac to truly believe he can be a good HC for us. 

The play calling was just terrible last season IMO. But he is young which gives me hope he can learn to be much better.

(02-24-2020, 03:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It also shouldn't have taken through the bye week last year to learn the OL blocking was bad and change it up. Yet here we are.

Well at least we now know that our O-line should be in a directional drive blocking scheme.

But yeah, sure took the coaches long enough to figure it out.

The good thing is they did figure it out, it was just too late. But hey, if they figured it out earlier we probably wouldn't have 
the #1 overall pick and wouldn't be able to get the best QB to come out in some time.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2020, 03:28 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I want to believe this but I'm still a bit of a skeptic. Everybody keeps talking about the late season improvement and I don't disagree that there was some. However I question how much there really was given the competition we played ?

We don't yet know what the exact schedule will be, but we do know the opponents.
Let's assume the Bengals do what they did last year and get 1 win vs CLE.
They also get MIA, WSH, and NYG, so there's a decent chance to get 1-3 wins there.
Chargers and JAX seem on the decline but will probably hover in that 5-8 win range. Tossup with those teams.

Good probability to lose to BAL (x2), PIT (x2), HOU, TEN, IND, DAL, and PHI.

As such, I see probably anywhere from 3 to 8 wins in 2020.
Depending on schedule, 1-4 shouldn't be unexpected.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-24-2020, 03:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: We don't yet know what the exact schedule will be, but we do know the opponents.
Let's assume the Bengals do what they did last year and get 1 win vs CLE.
They also get MIA, WSH, and NYG, so there's a decent chance to get 1-3 wins there.
Chargers and JAX seem on the decline but will probably hover in that 5-8 win range. Tossup with those teams.

Good probability to lose to BAL (x2), PIT (x2), HOU, TEN, IND, DAL, and PHI.

As such, I see probably anywhere from 3 to 8 wins in 2020.
Depending on schedule, 1-4 shouldn't be unexpected.

I agree to a degree. What I mean is I have no delusions even with Burrow we're gonna just light it up next season going 12-4 AFCCG, Super Bowl bound.

But in the same breath ZT showed very little ability to run an NFL offense and moreover whole team last season. The playcalling left a lot to be desired to say the least. ZT looked over matched nearly every series of every game.

They come out going 1-4 looking like the replacements again......his seat, fan wise anyways, is gonna start heating up fast. He needs to come out basically right from the jump being able to call an NFL game. At least being "in it".

We come out with six or seven 3 and out's a game, have one red zone TD in 10 trips down there or something, the excuses are gonna start running out.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2020, 03:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, will have to see some major improvement from Zac to truly believe he can be a good HC for us. 

The play calling was just terrible last season IMO. But he is young which gives me hope he can learn to be much better.

Well at least we now know that our O-line should be in a directional drive blocking scheme.

But yeah, sure took the coaches long enough to figure it out.

The good thing is they did figure it out, it was just too late. But hey, if they figured it out earlier we probably wouldn't have 
the #1 overall pick and wouldn't be able to get the best QB to come out in some time.

Yes !

Couple years ago I remember an NFL analyst talking about "page flipper" OC's. I believe both Zampese and Lazor were guilty at times of being "page flipper" OC's.

In other words they had no ability to change game plan in game if plan A was failing. They just start page flipping. First page play 12. Second page play 19, 4th page play 2 and so on. They have no or little ability to call a game on the fly, to adapt. Their offense looses any sense of rhyme and reason. They just start throwing darts.

I think ZT was guilty of this last season. Many times he just seemed to be page flipping with little to no real plan. He's got to get it together and fast.
Reply/Quote
It is a shame he didn't do that last year as the new CBA will restrict teams even further with training in pads. Oh well, you live and learn.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2020, 03:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It also shouldn't have taken through the bye week last year to learn the OL blocking was bad and change it up. Yet here we are.

Zt and staff follow the teachings of LEO M MARVIN MD, PHD     "baby steps"
Reply/Quote