Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It was UGLY… but
Yesterday was bad, but hear me out. Bengals offense went up and down the field. If not for some boneheaded throws/plays, the game is much closer than the score . The defense was also not great. I want to preface this with, unlikely to happen.

But with the way the games fell today, if the bengals win out, they have an 80% chance to make the playoffs.

What do I think is going to happen? Bengals win in KC, browns lose. Week 18 matters for both teams and the browns deliver the knockout punch. It’s just the way the season has gone so far.

But in all seriousness, the team (mostly) controls their own destiny still.

In the, spirit of the season, and words of Lloyd Christmas, “so you’re telling me there is a chance”. “not good, like , 1:1,000,000”

Merry Christmas all.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2023, 12:56 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Yesterday was bad, but hear me out.  Bengals offense went up and down the field.  If not for some boneheaded throws/plays, the game is much closer than the score . The defense was also not great. I want to preface this with, unlikely to happen.

But with the way the games fell today, if the bengals win out, they have an 80% chance to make the playoffs.  

What do I think is going to happen?  Bengals win in KC, browns lose.  Week 18 matters for both teams and the browns deliver the knockout punch. It’s just the way the season has gone so far.  

But in all seriousness, the team (mostly) controls their own destiny still.  

In the, spirit of the season, and words of Lloyd Christmas, “so you’re telling me there is a chance”.  “not good, like , 1:1,000,000”

Merry Christmas all.

Of Browning doesn't throw three picks, his statline would've looked pretty good. They won TOP, passing yards, and first downs. Defense was putrid. Oline was bad, and Browning had the three terrible interceptions.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Was it over when.....?[Image: giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd7q6a2vea0d4g6n86lpf...y.gif&ct=g]

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I have been looking at the game and trying to figure out if there was a different gameplan/approach that would have yielded more success. It is unlikely but not impossible that we could play the Steelers again. If we somehow make the playoffs, and they do, and we both win until we face each other. Like I said unlikely. Really, just over the border from impossible. But it is interesting to think about nonetheless.

And you are right, we did move the ball effectively at times. Then again, Jake was evading pressure a lot of the time. I noticed he held the ball for a long time as well. This can be a good thing if the plays are developing but it makes me wonder if he is processing the field well. Also it makes me wonder if our WRs are getting open like they should.

Of course you can scheme guys open, or if not "open" at least throwing to a place/time where only your guy can catch it. You can take advantage of mismatches as well. Throwing to Tee is one way to do this but another is throwing to your TEs. We only targeted TEs six times. We should have been throwing to them more. That is my first conclusion.

The end of a football game is different than the beginning. You can sling the ball around at the end of game and if the defense is tired it will work a higher percentage of the time. It seemed like Jake went to that too early (IMO) in this game. Maybe he was still feeling confident from the end of the Vikings game but you need to be patient in the early going (like we did in that game).

If I were the coach for a day, I might try mixing in a drive of direct snaps to an RB. I would also have a QB in as protection (and you could possibly hand it off to them to throw) on some of those plays but I would use AJ McCarron to this end on such a drive. He is bigger than Jake and you don't want to hurt your starting QB having them block for 5-8 plays in a row.

Why do this? You can lineup an additional lineman AND two TEs to block. Have one WR split out to keep 'em honest. Wear down the defense and make TJ Watt less of a factor.

On the defensive side of the ball I would work in some 3-4 formations (especially after DJ Reader went down). I know we disguise looks and have players move all over, but at least in terms of personnel you could add a linebacker or have a DE play off the line. The run game is killing us inside and outside. And we do have LBs who can cover when needed.

Those are my thoughts that have been kicking around in my head.

Reply/Quote
I don’t want this team in the play offs. Just let this awful season end
Reply/Quote
Every week upsets happen , we have proven with Browning we can win on the road against a playoff caliber team, we will be getting KC on a short week with a day extra rest for us and depending on how today's games go with less on the line for them for playoffs, plus if Browns win against jets, they are locked as 5th seed with little to play for in our game. Still hope to make playoffs and make a statement going 5-2 since Burrow went down.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2023, 08:23 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I don’t want this team in the play offs. Just let this awful season end

Really? Time to turn in your fan card. Tanking now does us no good. With that said, I will confess the Miami game years ago I did want us to lose so we could draft burrow.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2023, 08:23 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I don’t want this team in the play offs. Just let this awful season end

After everything this team has been through this season, with both of the injuries to Joe Burrow, both top WRs being injured at some point, two starting CBs in and out with injuries, losing DJ Reader for the year, again, I would think it to be quite a testament to the hard work and determination of the rest of the roster if they were able to make the playoffs.

Now, do I actually think that they would have a chance of getting anywhere in the playoffs, not really.  However simply making the playoffs would be a huge boost for the morale of the team in general, giving them real hope for bigger success once everyone is healthy and playing together.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Earlier this year my sentiments were only superbowls matter, what does it matter to make the playoffs just to lose? Like 2nd place is just the 1st place loser.

But if Browning can patch this team somehow to make the playoffs and maybe even take some other team out would at least be humorous on a couple levels.

Bengals would be "overlooked" in the playoffs this year which makes surprising things happen, but I don't think we do anything without a heavy dose of chase & chase associates to combat the lackluster defense. As that famous quote from the reporter in the NBA playoffs said, is the problem your lackluster defense, or the problems you're having on offense - or in other words, lackluster offense. lol
Reply/Quote

I do, if for no other reason than to help Browning find a starting job next year (and there are other reasons I want in the playoffs)
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2023, 11:24 AM)PhilHos Wrote: I do, if for no other reason than to help Browning find a starting job next year (and there are other reasons I want in the playoffs)

I don't think under any circumstance the Bengals renege his ERFA rights as a backup next year. It probably benefits us in the long run if he starts playing up and down, so teams lose interest in him lol. Burrow needs a backup.

Was Nick Foles starter quality, probably no, but I think the team may have played harder for him than for Wentz, they knew they had to step up. I hope the Bengals figure that out next year, maybe there's something left in their tank for Burrow since he took a lot of the bank lol.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals have truly entered their "must win" phase of the schedule from here on out.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Can we beat KC and Clev? Yes

Will we? No clue.

Our offense and defense are erratic. I could see Flacco dicing us up.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2023, 01:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Can we beat KC and Clev? Yes

Will we? No clue.

Our offense and defense are erratic. I could see Flacco dicing us up.

With the top 4 seedings likely decided after next week, I could also see the Browns resting Flacco, just to ensure that he's healthy for the playoffs.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2023, 01:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our offense and defense are erratic. I could see Flacco dicing us up.

It's not Flacco that worries me about the Browns. It's their goddamned generational defense that's the problem. 
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2023, 01:20 PM)PhilHos Wrote: It's not Flacco that worries me about the Browns. It's their goddamned generational defense that's the problem. 

Which I’d assume they would rest most, if not all, their starters. Why would they risk any more injuries than they already have? They are on backup tackles already as well.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2023, 01:43 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Which I’d assume they would rest most, if not all, their starters.  Why would they risk any more injuries than they already have?  They are on backup tackles already as well.

That's the hope, right? Rest their starters, the backups suck and we can go to town on their defense.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2023, 02:25 PM)PhilHos Wrote: That's the hope, right? Rest their starters, the backups suck and we can go to town on their defense.

We need dolphins to beat ravens this week so week 18 means something to ravens vs Steelers.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2023, 02:51 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: We need dolphins to beat ravens this week so week 18 means something to ravens vs Steelers.

No worries, though, right? It's not like the Dolphins have only won 1 game all season against a team with a winning record. Mellow
Reply/Quote

Soft and terrible terrible post. I'd tell you to turn in your man card if you had one.
Reply/Quote