Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It will happen!
(10-03-2017, 12:52 PM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: Congratulations on the Richmond Tigers winning. It was fun to read your post.

Did they (the Tigers) happen to lose their first three games before winning the flag?

Our finals system is a bit complex. We basically lost 3 elimination finals in a row, finished 13th last year, and then won the flag this year!

And no, we went 5-0 to start and then lost 4 in a row!
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2017, 08:09 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Congrats on you team having won.  Given their management at this point in time, the Bengals have a better chance of winning the AFL Grand Final then they do a Super Bowl.  
Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Congrats on winning after 37 years. Think that makes it official that the Bengals now have the longest playoff win drought in the entire world. J/k kinda
Reply/Quote
The joke is that we're poorly managed, but I contend and will continue to contend we're superbly managed to be the Washington Generals of the league. You gotta really be some special kind of stupid to manage a 8 million dollar investment into a multi BILLION dollar team and still continue to lose. 
If we ever win the big show it'll be because Mikey or someone in la familia figured a way to put enough money in the pockets of the monied interests and also walk away with a few billion themselves. 
I'm not saying it's all rigged, but I will say that I don't quite trust how the whole thing works.   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2017, 10:18 AM)grampahol Wrote: The joke is that we're poorly managed, but I contend and will continue to contend we're superbly managed to be the Washington Generals of the league. You gotta really be some special kind of stupid to manage a 8 million dollar investment into a multi BILLION dollar team and still continue to lose. 
If we ever win the big show it'll be because Mikey or someone in la familia figured a way to put enough money in the pockets of the monied interests and also walk away with a few billion themselves. 
I'm not saying it's all rigged, but I will say that I don't quite trust how the whole thing works.   

With revenue sharing, each team is guaranteed 1/32 of the pie no matter what their record.

Of course, the classic business equation Profit = Revenue - Expense means that the lower your expenses, the more profit you make. There in lies the issue. Scouts cost money. Firing coaches and hiring new coaches costs money. Signing Centers that are upgrades cost money.

Letting a free agent walk and getting an extra 4th Round comp pick that makes $400,000 a year for 4 years saves money. Sign another player at that position as a free agent and you'd spend atleast $1 million if not more.

By starting Bodine on a rookie contract for 4 years, we probably saved $12 million. Of course, he played poorly...but if expenses are lower, profit is higher.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2017, 10:29 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: With revenue sharing, each team is guaranteed 1/32 of the pie no matter what their record.

Of course, the classic business equation Profit = Revenue - Expense means that the lower your expenses, the more profit you make. There in lies the issue. Scouts cost money. Firing coaches and hiring new coaches costs money. Signing Centers that are upgrades cost money.

Letting a free agent walk and getting an extra 4th Round comp pick that makes $400,000 a year for 4 years saves money. Sign another player at that position as a free agent and you'd spend atleast $1 million if not more.

By starting Bodine on a rookie contract for 4 years, we probably saved $12 million. Of course, he played poorly...but if expenses are lower, profit is higher.

Which is why it's just a business to make money and not a business to satisfy the local natives desire to celebrate championships. If anyone thinks the Brown family would gladly give up their wealth in exchange for a championship I have some prime ocean front, mountain view property in Nebraska to sell you. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2017, 10:37 AM)grampahol Wrote: Which is why it's just a business to make money and not a business to satisfy the local natives desire to celebrate championships. If anyone thinks the Brown family would gladly give up their wealth in exchange for a championship I have some prime ocean front, mountain view property in Nebraska to sell you. lol

Which is what it boils down to. Lets say the ocean represents a championship. The Bengals dip their toe in the water. Some years they may dip their foot in. Some other teams like the Steelers dive in.

The Steelers paid DeCastro $10 million a year.
They extended Brown.
They extended Tuitt.
They extended Villaneuva.
They franchise tagged Bell.
They signed Haden.

The Bengals would have likely extended Brown OR Bell and maybe Villaneuva or Tuitt. They would have let DeCastro walk and not signed Haden.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2017, 12:01 AM)ben_lewtas9 Wrote: Hey guys!

This is my first time posting a thread, but I thought I'd just share something special from the weekend.

I'm from Australia, and on Saturday, my Richmond Tigers won the AFL Grand Final. It's been 37 years since we last won one and I haven't really slept much over the weekend so excuse my poor grammar  Yawn. I'm only 22 so I wasn't alive when we last won a flag (Grand Final), so this has been a pretty special weekend for me and my family.

Anyway, my point is this:

It will happen for us. I promise you all, it will happen. There will be a day where we all sit in these boards and laugh and joke and it will be the greatest day of your lives. You'll talk about the players like they're your own children, or your own brothers.

There are a couple of similarities between the Bengals and the Tigers (Starting with the name)
- Richmond made the finals 4 years in a row and lost in the first round
- Didn't make the finals in 2016, finished 13th out of 18 teams.
- Talented first 5 or 6 players but needed middle-tier guys to stand up.
- Same 4 or 5 teams have played in the last 6 or so Grand Finals, so we were out of the loop.
- Questioned leadership and hunger of captain (Dalton-like)
- Completely different game plan brought in by new Assistant Coach (same head coach, but he was almost sacked)
- Removal of a few cancerous locker-room characters (But keep guys who love the group and want to be there)

I know you're probably thinking "Shut up kid, you've only been a Bengals fan for 8 years, what would you know about Cincinnati"... But I can tell you that I know the pain because I've felt it across 3 sporting teams, but the success is all worth it. Do not give up on them, and it'll be the best decision you've ever made  :andy:

Good stuff man, happy for you and your Tigers. Rock On

Sure as hell hope you are right, been a long time coming.

When we move on from Marv we might win a damn playoff game atleast.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2017, 09:54 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Thinking about the 'It will be the greatest day of your lives' part that the OP threw in there.

I follow other sports and over my lifetime:

The Pistons have won - 3 championships.
The Penguins have won - 5 Stanley Cups.
The Dodgers have won - 2 World Series.
UCLA Bruins basketball has won 1 Championship.
Miami Hurricanes have won 5 Championships.

Plus, I have a lot of stuff going on in my life. I seriously doubt that IF the Bengals win the Super Bowl that it will be the best day of my life. Just because a team was mismanaged for far so long that they finally overcome themselves to win...doesn't make it any sweeter.

The Bengals are the only team i really care about.

I cannot root for teams that are highly favored. I liked the Pistons when they had Billups, Rasheed Wallace, Prince, Ben etc.

But have given up on the NBA, always been a Portland Trailblazer fan since Drexler and the good old days.

Went to a Jazz playoff game and liked them when they had Derron Williams. The NBA has went to shit though IMHO.

Wanted to be a pro Basketball player when i was a kid too, loved the game and was pretty damn good at it, sucks.

Can never root for a Pittsburgh team, ever, especially one that wears the piss yellow and black. Shocked

Or an LA or New York team. I like the Flyers i guess in NHL, Reds or Rangers in the MLB, Michigan Wolverines in college.

Never liked Ohio State to be honest lol
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2017, 10:37 AM)grampahol Wrote: Which is why it's just a business to make money and not a business to satisfy the local natives desire to celebrate championships. If anyone thinks the Brown family would gladly give up their wealth in exchange for a championship I have some prime ocean front, mountain view property in Nebraska to sell you. lol

Well if it's only a choice between going broke and keeping wealth, then I'm sure a majority of Bengals wouldn't be ragging on Mike Brown. There are still ways to smarly manage a team in contention year after year and still make money hand over fist in the NFL. To make Mike Brown out to be a genius or even very very smart is to ignore a lot of realities about the NFL. He inherited a team from his dad, who actually was a genius, and there is practically nothing Mike could do short of hurting the NFL's bottom line before he would lose his team. And given that there's no competition for entry into the NFL, it's not like MB had to outwit any other successful billionaires to keep himself an NFL team (I'm not talking about his buying out shares from a minority owner of the Bengals here). If this was pure real world capitalism, I'm not so sure Mike in his stubborn ways could have kept his company from going bankrupt where other highly motivated, smarter run businesses would have just taken over for him. Mike has happened into a situation where he has excellent leverage being one of only 32 entities that American cities have to compete with each other over. The man is obviously no idiot when it comes to understanding his leverage and used it efficiently (dare I say ruthlessly) to get a sweetheart deal out of Cincy. 

I understand that the reality is that MB is the owner of the Bengals, and no amount of wishing will change that for any of us, and therefore we all might as well deal with it. I'm simply making the point that I'm not sure MB is as much a genius as he's cracked out to be business wise. He is certainly smart enough to manage his situation that he was born into, but more than that, I'm not so sure. IIRC, the Rooneys are also owners whose main business is their NFL team. Comparing their running of their business tells me that there's more options available rather than just "giving up their wealth" for a championship. 
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2017, 04:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The Bengals are the only team i really care about.

I cannot root for teams that are highly favored. I liked the Pistons when they had Billups, Rasheed Wallace, Prince, Ben etc.

But have given up on the NBA, always been a Portland Trailblazer fan since Drexler and the good old days.

Went to a Jazz playoff game and liked them when they had Derron Williams. The NBA has went to shit though IMHO.

Wanted to be a pro Basketball player when i was a kid too, loved the game and was pretty damn good at it, sucks.

Can never root for a Pittsburgh team, ever, especially one that wears the piss yellow and black. Shocked

Or an LA or New York team. I like the Flyers i guess in NHL, Reds or Rangers in the MLB, Michigan Wolverines in college.

Originally I was a Cavs fan and Mark Price was(and still is)one of my favorite players.

I then became a huge Sonics fan when I moved to Washington, and still after I moved back to Ohio. 

The NBA can suck it now. 

What happened to the Sonics, and how the team moved, was the equivalent to the Browns for the NFL.

Probably even worse...  because they at least were competitive and had won a championship before.

People in Seattle loved that freakin' team!  It was the most popular sport in town in the 90s.

The Cavs were a straight up mess prior to the LeBron era so I never got back into watching them either.

So bitterly I have turned my back on the NBA. 

Which is fine by me because it's just not the same entertainment to me anymore.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2017, 04:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The Bengals are the only team i really care about.

We could have been friends, but not after seeing that Myshitcan wolverines crap. Go Bucks!! I have actually gotten into the NHL a lot the last several years. Honestly my wife got me into it. Btw I love the state of Wyoming! I could happily live there.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2017, 05:48 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Originally I was a Cavs fan and Mark Price was(and still is)one of my favorite players.

I then became a huge Sonics fan when I moved to Washington, and still after I moved back to Ohio. 

The NBA can suck it now. 

What happened to the Sonics, and how the team moved, was the equivalent to the Browns for the NFL.

Probably even worse...  because they at least were competitive and had won a championship before.

People in Seattle loved that freakin' team!  It was the most popular sport in town in the 90s.

The Cavs were a straight up mess prior to the LeBron era so I never got back into watching them either.

I live in Olympia and it sucks they took the Sonics away. Can't stand the NBA now.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2017, 05:48 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Originally I was a Cavs fan and Mark Price was(and still is)one of my favorite players.

The NBA can suck it now. 

Yeah, Shawn Kemp rocked dude. Rock On

That was complete Bullshit.

(10-06-2017, 05:55 PM)sandwedge Wrote: We could have been friends, but not after seeing that Myshitcan wolverines crap. Go Bucks!! I have actually gotten into the NHL a lot the last several years. Honestly my wife got me into it. Btw I love the state of Wyoming! I could happily live there.

LOL, knew i would get some hate on here for that! Bengal fan here not a Buckeye fan. The Buckeyes have owned the
Wolverines for quite awhile now. Like the Bengals i always liked the Wolverines helmets.

NHL is fun to watch, they aren't wussifying that league like the NFL is.

Wyoming is nice, atleast this part of it. The east is a little too flat for me. I love the land like i love my women.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2017, 05:57 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I live in Olympia and it sucks they took the Sonics away. Can't stand the NBA now.

That was a crime what happened, and the only saving grace for the town is the uprising of the once terrible Seahawks.

The Glove would be my second favorite NBA player, perhaps even my favorite!

When I lived there the Huskies and Mariners where the other sports people cared for.

Most people I encountered were usually embarrassed by the Seahawks.

They had some great players from time to time Largent and Cortez Kennedy...  but for the most part they sucked when I lived there.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2017, 07:29 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: That was a crime what happened, and the only saving grace for the town is the uprising of the once terrible Seahawks.

The Glove would be my second favorite NBA player, perhaps even my favorite!

When I lived there the Huskies and Mariners where the other sports people cared for.

Most people I encountered were usually embarrassed by the Seahawks.

They had some great players from time to time Largent and Cortez Kennedy...  but for the most part they sucked when I lived there.

The good old days... The Glove and The Rain Man

Still remember Kemp swatting Clyde the Glydes sure dunk into the stands...
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2017, 07:29 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: The Glove would be my second favorite NBA player, perhaps even my favorite!

I had to read this 3 times to make sure you weren't talking about O.J. Simpson because it just didn't fit?  Cool

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2017, 07:57 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I had to read this 3 times to make sure you weren't talking about O.J. Simpson because it just didn't fit?  Cool

Unlike OJ...  Payton at least was good at stealing.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2017, 08:29 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Unlike OJ...  Payton at least was good at stealing.

He killed it...
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2017, 07:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The good old days... The Glove and The Rain Man

Still remember Kemp swatting Clyde the Glydes sure dunk into the stands...

Hey Drexler is one of my favs too.  He's one of the few competitors that they played that really I admired.

Clyde the Glide was somethin' else.

I liked the Blazers, unlike the Lakers...  man I hated that team like I do the Steelers!
Reply/Quote