Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Its Time For Hog Maulin
Tiger

Now we've said previously that this line needs time gel and I agreed with that up until week four which I thought would be enough. So now its the middle of October. Its Joe Mixon time dang it! Its time for 20-25 carries now and controlling the line of scrimmage. This is the time for this "New" offensive line to perform. Right Now!
Start running the damn football now so we don't have to figure it out later when its too damn late. They're not mauling because you haven't run the dang ball!

I'm out
Reply/Quote
Yes it seems as though the O line has changed the blocking scheme to a system that works for the entire offense and now are able to move the chains much better, but I still think as others have already mentioned to rotate Mixon, Perine and a little Evans to mix things up and give other teams more to think about and plan for. Plus Mixon only will wear him out soon. Let Perine pound it out and Evans maybe a little more fleet afoot with some action as well. Perine and Evans can both catch passes well.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 01:29 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Yes it seems as though the O line has changed the blocking scheme to a system that works for the entire offense and now are able to move the chains much better, but I still think as others have already mentioned to rotate Mixon, Perine and a little Evans to mix things up and give other teams more to think about and plan for. Plus Mixon only will wear him out soon. Let Perine pound it out and Evans maybe a little more fleet afoot with some action as well. Perine and Evans can both catch passes well.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 01:29 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Yes it seems as though the O line has changed the blocking scheme to a system that works for the entire offense and now are able to move the chains much better, but I still think as others have already mentioned to rotate Mixon, Perine and a little Evans to mix things up and give other teams more to think about and plan for. Plus Mixon only will wear him out soon. Let Perine pound it out and Evans maybe a little more fleet afoot with some action as well. Perine and Evans can both catch passes well.
 I get what your saying totally because production is key. The problem with that is we have a "Franchise" runningback one who makes a great deal of coin. The backups to him are to me role players although Evans has never and I repeat never got a shot at 15 carries.
Its Mixon time from late October on... I'm talking 20 carries and anyone who disagrees I have a question for you. How many times did Joe throw the football against the Saints? How long can you sustain it below 40 degrees and win consistently without running the football.
Reply/Quote
I dont know... Mixon had 60 carries in our 3 losses, he had quite few vs the Fins, but only had 12 vs Jets and 8 vs the Saints.....

We seem to be better with less total rush plays and more production per play instead of a ton of plays and low ypc. Burrow checked out of at least 5-6 runs on Sunday and was successful, I can see him rolling with this current attack strategy.

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 02:08 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I dont know... Mixon had 60 carries in our 3 losses, he had quite few vs the Fins, but only had 12 vs Jets and 8 vs the Saints.....

We seem to be better with less total rush plays and more production per play instead of a ton of plays and low ypc.  Burrow checked out of at least 5-6 runs on Sunday and was successful, I can see him rolling with this current attack strategy.

Tiger

Great points certainly.
Can you list the temperatures for those games.
Now someone is going so say something about the SB run last year. Different team Different year
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 02:12 AM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

Great points certainly.
Can you list the temperatures for those games.
Now someone is going so say something about the SB run last year. Different team Different year

Thing is, look at how similarly constructed offenses that play in open air cold weather stadiums operate.  Aaron Jones didn't have a single 20+ carry game last year in GB.  Devin Singletary only had 2 in Buffalo.  You see Rodgers, Allen, and Mahomes chucking it 35-40+ times a game with regularity in the cold.  

For another, run D is a big weak point right now with Reader and Wilson out.  You now want to do a complete 180 offensively and invite opposing teams to pound it at our defense?  We should be trying to turn games into track meets to cover that weakness up, not playing into the opposition 's hands.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
A short 3-4 yard pass is as good as a 1st down run for 3-4 yards.

I'm still not convinced our running game has turned the corner. Would like to see it 1 or 2 more times.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote