Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JJ Diehlman claimed by the Rams......
one 5th round pick gone.....
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Glad he got picked up for his future ... Redmond beat him out .. and TJ is our backup for sure at center..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
And Cox to the Panthers. Shame. I thought Cox could have helped us week one with banged up safeties
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 02:04 PM)corpjet Wrote: one 5th round pick gone.....

Man I was hoping to keep him on the PS. And of course the only OL player we draft goes to the same team as Whit. Pretty damn annoying.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 02:29 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Man I was hoping to keep him on the PS. And of course the only OL player we draft goes to the same team as Whit. Pretty damn annoying.

It's not that annoying if he wasn't good enough to make the team.  Should they have cut a better to keep him?  I was hoping to keep him too but oh well.
Reply/Quote
Ive lost all faith in this teams ability to evaluate and draft actual talent on the offensive line.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 02:39 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Ive lost all faith in this teams ability to evaluate and draft actual talent on the offensive line.

Browns got Roderick Johnson, Caleb Brantley and Zane Gonalez late. 

We cut Elliot Deilman and Wilson.

Pretty mad about that. Penetrating 3T. We could use that. Starting kicker. We could use that. Young developmental tackle loaded with tools. We could use that.
Reply/Quote
looks like Jake Elliot cleared waivers?
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 02:46 PM)corpjet Wrote: looks like Jake Elliot cleared waivers?

Yup. No one was going to pick him up to only replace their kicker right now. But if he goes on ps or not, I think there is a chance he will get picked up at some point this season if a team's kicker blows and their season is going nowhere. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
who would you cut instead of Dielman. We had 11 draft picks. 7 of them made the active roster 1 went to IR and 2 we resigned to our practice squad. Plus two undrafted free agents made the team.

Elliott got beat out. Wilson spent all pre season injured and Dielman was a bubble player from the time he was drafted. We always mourn the one we think got away...usually for no reason

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I mean if an offensive lineman could stick on our roster with the poor offensive lineman we have...I don't have much faith for them.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 03:33 PM)pally Wrote: who would you cut instead of Dielman.  We had 11 draft picks.  7 of them made the active roster 1 went to IR and 2 we resigned to our practice squad.  Plus two undrafted free agents made the team.  

Elliott got beat out.  Wilson spent all pre season injured and Dielman was a bubble player from the time he was drafted.  We always mourn the one we think got away...usually for no reason

That's not true at all.

For example, Dez Briscoe went on to...  nevermind, you were right!
Reply/Quote
If you get beat out on a team desperate for OL then something is wrong.

Maybe Whitworth can straighten it out and get him on the right track though.

Hope the kid does well.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I've never understood why people get so up in arms about bottom-of-the-roster types. JJ Diehlman wasn't the key to a championship. He wasn't the key to anything. Just another anonymous face filling out the bottom of the depth chart...and he wasn't even good enough to do that. Save your outrage for real problems. Like how this team won't sign FA's and lets players walk for compensatory picks that never pan out. Or how Marv and Paul A have perma-jobs.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
This stuff happens when you have 11 picks in a draft.

There are two schools of thought when it comes to the draft.

1. It's a crap shoot and you may as well get as many picks as you possibly can (even late round picks) because you never know what players will succeed in the NFL. This includes taking fliers on high upside injury prone players (Ross and Lawson), high motor players who reportedly have physical limitations (Willis), good prospects who were covered up by superior players on their own team (Cody Core), small school prospects (Bernard Scott) as well as your garden variety "Why did this player fall this far?" type prospects (Andrew Billings and Christian Westerman).

2. Draft fewer but supposedly higher quality players and keep your free agents/sign free agents at all costs.

I think it's clear Lewis subscribes to the first and that will result in draft picks being cut, due to sheer volume.

I don't think a 5th round pick being cut should be rage inducing. Dielman was a decent prospect, but nothing earth shattering.

The team will be fine without him.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 02:29 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This stuff happens when you have 11 picks in a draft.

There are two schools of thought when it comes to the draft.

1. It's a crap shoot and you may as well get as many picks as you possibly can (even late round picks) because you never know what players will succeed in the NFL. This includes taking fliers on high upside injury prone players (Ross and Lawson), high motor players who reportedly have physical limitations (Willis), good prospects who were covered up by superior players on their own team (Cody Core), small school prospects (Bernard Scott) as well as your garden variety "Why did this player fall this far?" type prospects (Andrew Billings and Christian Westerman).

2. Draft fewer but supposedly higher quality players and keep your free agents/sign free agents at all costs.

I think it's clear Lewis subscribes to the first and that will result in draft picks being cut, due to sheer volume.

I don't think a 5th round pick being cut should be rage inducing. Dielman was a decent prospect, but nothing earth shattering.

The team will be fine without him.

I still don't know what made him a draftable player. 
He lined up at a lot of spots but wasn't really good at any of them. 

I'm more happy we didn't over commit to another OL who is a long shot prospect. 
Reply/Quote
With the poor cast of offensive lineman we have...it is eyebrow raising that he couldn't make the roster.

Our drafts have been quite mediocre over the past 5-6 years. Most of the guys drafted over 3-4 years ago aren't even on the roster.

2015 Ced, Fisher, and Shaw looks like a below average draft.

2014 looks like a below average draft with Hill, Bodine, and Dennard. They've all been underwhelming in the Pros.

2013 was an above average draft with Eifert, Bernard, and Williams.

2012 only Kirkpatrick and Iloka remain on the roster. I'd call it average to below average.

2011 was a great draft with Dalton, Green, and Boling.

2010 was a great draft with Atkins and Dunlap.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 02:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: With the poor cast of offensive lineman we have...it is eyebrow raising that he couldn't make the roster.

Our drafts have been quite mediocre over the past 5-6 years. Most of the guys drafted over 3-4 years ago aren't even on the roster.

2015 Ced, Fisher, and Shaw looks like a below average draft.

2014 looks like a below average draft with Hill, Bodine, and Dennard. They've all been underwhelming in the Pros.

2013 was an above average draft with Eifert, Bernard, and Williams.

2012 only Kirkpatrick and Iloka remain on the roster. I'd call it average to below average.

2011 was a great draft with Dalton, Green, and Boling.

2010 was a great draft with Atkins and Dunlap.

How many players are you expecting to become fixtures from any one draft?
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 02:40 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: How many players are you expecting to become fixtures from any one draft?

We should be getting 2 maybe 3 quality starters from each draft. Then another 1-2 guys should stick in backup roles.

And I don't count a guy like Bodine drafted in the 4th Round and forced to start because the Bengals didn't acquire any better options as a successful pick. He's not a quality starter.

We haven't had an above average draft since 2011. Couple that with free agent losses and you have a 6.5 win team last year.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2017, 02:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We should be getting 2 maybe 3 quality starters from each draft. Then another 1-2 guys should stick in backup roles.

And I don't count a guy like Bodine drafted in the 4th Round and forced to start because the Bengals didn't acquire any better options as a successful pick. He's not a quality starter.

We haven't had an above average draft since 2011. Couple that with free agent losses and you have a 6.5 win team last year.

2-3 quality starters in a draft is a great draft. 
Reply/Quote