Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JN Game: Pick the next HC
So I thought we could have a little fun with all the talk about replacing Marvin. For the record, I still think Marvin will be the HC next year, but if I'm wrong and Mike either fires him or Marvin walks away, then what kind of coach would be best for the Bengals moving forward. 

I figured I would put together a list of possible candidates and get the pulse of our members as to what they would like to see. In this scenario, I have Mike McCarthy and John Fox getting fired and being on the list. I also have 2 very successful ex HC's in Billick and Coughlin, as well as 5 ex HC's that are now coordinators/coaches and 11 coordinators that are hot candidates and/or have had interviews over the last couple of years for open spots.

I did not include guys like Gruden, Cowher and Dungy because I think it would take too much money to land them, and I'm not sure if they would even be interested in leaving their current gigs. 

So, there's 20 names to choose from. Make a list of 5 candidates who you think would be the best fit for the job. Once enough lists have been shared, we'll do a poll of the top 5 names and see who gets the nod in our imaginary coaching search. Again, this is just for fun and meant to see who the fans would hire if they had the power. 

Here's the list to choose your top 5 from:

Mike McCarthy
Tom Coughlin
Brian Billick
John Fox

Steve Spagnuolo
Scott Linehan
Doug Marrone
Todd Haley
Jim Schwartz

Josh McDaniels
Matt Patricia
Kyle Shanahan
Vance Joseph
Sean McDermott
Teryl Austin
Sean McVay
Darrell Bevell
Anthony Lynn
Frank Riech
Mike Shula
My list would be:

Mike McCarthy
Matt Patricia
Kyle Shanahan
Brian Billick
Josh McDaniels
(11-16-2016, 04:39 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: My list would be:

Mike McCarthy
Matt Patricia
Kyle Shanahan
Brian Billick
Josh McDaniels

Similar with the exception of Patricia, and Shanahan.  I'd add Hayley and Joseph.
(11-16-2016, 04:36 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: So I thought we could have a little fun with all the talk about replacing Marvin. For the record, I still think Marvin will be the HC next year, but if I'm wrong and Mike either fires him or Marvin walks away, then what kind of coach would be best for the Bengals moving forward. 

I figured I would put together a list of possible candidates and get the pulse of our members as to what they would like to see. In this scenario, I have Mike McCarthy and John Fox getting fired and being on the list. I also have 2 very successful ex HC's in Billick and Coughlin, as well as 5 ex HC's that are now coordinators and 11 coordinators that are hot candidates and/or have had interviews over the last couple of years for open spots.

I did not include guys like Gruden, Cowher and Dungy because I think it would take too much money to land them, and I'm not sure if they would even be interested in leaving their current gigs. 

So, there's 20 names to choose from. Make a list of 5 candidates who you think would be the best fit for the job. Once enough lists have been shared, we'll do a poll of the top 5 names and see who gets the nod in our imaginary coaching search. Again, this is just for fun and meant to see who the fans would hire if they had the power. 

Here's the list to choose your top 5 from:

Mike McCarthy
Tom Coughlin
Brian Billick
John Fox

Steve Spagnuolo
Scott Linehan
Doug Marrone
Todd Haley
Jim Schwartz

Josh McDaniels
Matt Patricia
Kyle Shanahan
Vance Joseph
Sean McDermott
Teryl Austin
Sean McVay
Darrell Bevell
Anthony Lynn
Frank Riech
Mike Shula
I don't know enough about any of these coaches to make a list. However, when the list is finally compiled, send it to Mikey with 10,000 signatures of fans---if there are any left by that time.
McCarthy
Fox
Shanahan
Billick
Haley

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Andy "Silky" Johnston

Tyrone Biggums

Negrodamus

Thurgood Jenkins

Clayton Bigsby
(11-16-2016, 05:02 PM)GodFather Wrote: Andy "Silky" Johnston

Tyrone Biggums

Negrodamus

Thurgood Jenkins

Clayton Bigsby

How good of a coach are they really gonna be if they hate their players, huh?

Anyhow:

Mike McCarthy
Matt Patricia
Jim Schwartz
Vance Joseph
Sean McDermott
McCarthy
McDaniels
McDermott
Haley
Patricia

Even though I would be quite satisfied with the hiring of either McDermott or Patricia, I think it's time to bring in a top tier offensive minded HC. Obviously McCarthy would the the best in that regard imo, should him and GB decide to part ways. Josh McDaniels has grown and matured and is ready to take over a team, and we have one right up his alley here in Cincy.

AS far as Haley goes, I like his intensity. Seems like a no bullshit kind of guy, may be just what this team needs after the Clap-Hands McGiggle Fest that has called our sideline home for 13 years.
I won't give a top five but Scott Linehan and Matt Patricia are my top two. I'd be extremely happy with either one.

Add Vance Joseph to the list.
Matt Patricia
Darrel Bevell
Vance Joseph
Jim Schwartz
Todd Haley

I went with all defensive guys except Haley because I'd make that the first priority. Not sold on Joseph but he has chemistry with guys on the team and he's a defensive guy.

An honorable mention off of the list would be Pete Carmichael the Saint OC.
First off, I would just throw obscene amounts of money at Jim Harbaugh. Scrooge McDuck that shit.

If that doesn't work (which is likely)...

1. Tom Herman (College FB, Houston)
2. Terry Robiskie (Titans OC)
3. Mike McCarthy
4. Ken Niumatalolo (College FB, Navy)
5. Tom Coughlin

I kind of freelanced off of your 20 names, but... deal with it? Lol
- - - - -
Side Note: Interesting fact, Tom Herman is a Cincinnati native.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Depends on the rest of the staff, or if the new HC gets to pick his crew.

I am sure MB wouldn't allow that, but I'll still play along.

I am torn between a defense coach or O.

Defense would be McDermott or Patricia.

O would be McCarthey or Shannahan.

My favorite would probably be McDermott.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Billick would be my top choice, but he hasnt coached in 9 years or so.

Also he called Big Ben a drama queen few days back lol.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

1) Herman Boone
2) Danny O'Shea
3) Gary Gaines
4) Jimmy McGinty
5) Nate Scarborough
Coughlin
McDaniels
Patricia
Haley
Joseph
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
(11-16-2016, 05:48 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: First off, I would just throw obscene amounts of money at Jim Harbaugh. Scrooge McDuck that shit.

If that doesn't work (which is likely)...

1. Tom Herman (College FB, Houston)
2. Terry Robiskie  (Titans OC)
3. Mike McCarthy
4. Ken Niumatalolo (College FB, Navy)
5. Tom Coughlin

I kind of freelanced off of your 20 names, but... deal with it? Lol
- - - - -
Side Note: Interesting fact, Tom Herman is a Cincinnati native.

In trying to keep the options as realistic as possible, I didn't include college coaches like Harbaugh, Kelly, Shaw, Sumlin, ect because the Bengals have only dipped into the college ranks one time in their history (when Paul hired Sam in '84) and as far as I can remember, Mike has never even talked about having interest in going the route. 

However, if he did, Herman would definitely makes since. Although I like the idea of going after a guy like Herman, I don't know that Mike realistically would, which is why I didn't put him on the list.
Mike McCarthy
Brian Billick
Todd Haley
Josh McDaniels
Kyle Shanahan
(11-16-2016, 04:51 PM)Wyche Wrote: McCarthy
Fox
Shanahan
Billick
Haley

x2.

Except for Billick. I would've loved him 5 years ago, but he's been out for a long time. Plus I think he's happy doing TV.

Mike Brown should offer everything he can to get McCarthy or Fox. Jim Harbaugh would be nice too, but I think he's happy at Michigan.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Kyle Shanahan
Josh McDaniels
Matt Patricia
Sean McVay
Sean McDermott
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
McCarthy
Haley
Joseph
Coughlin
Bevell

And I'll throw out a college coach with lots of ties to Ohio and surrounding areas. Mark Dantonio. He's good at getting the most out of the talent available to him and a hard nosed coach that would fit great in this division. Coming off a down season and looking up at the traditional powerhouses in the BIG10 coming back to life, he may just agree to move on. Unlikely but not totally unrealistic and I would love that hire about as much as anyone listed in this thread.