Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Ja’Marr’s slow start
Just reflecting on what many (including myself) would say is not a great stretch for Chase.

He’s still 8th in receiving yards and 5th in TDs.

I remember watching the game at one point maybe halftime, he had 16 yards and then you look up and he finishes with 132 yards and 2 tuddies. I think that’s the mark of someone special- even when he’s struggling, he’s still producing at a high level.
Reply/Quote
I think it is worth noting his slow start aligns with the entire offense having a slow start. Not much has been clicking for the offense all season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The whole league had an entire off season to figure out how to slow him and our offense down and they had 4 extra games of film to study after he went off in the playoffs. Of course teams have figured out new angles to address him. He has to work even harder and the coaching staff has to figure out new ways to use him. Hopefully yesterday was his coming out party. It also doesn't help that Tee has been gimpy the last few weeks.
Reply/Quote
It's pretty amazing that Chase is considered to have a slow start while also being in the top 10 in the NFL in receiving yards and tied for 5th most touchdowns.

This last game obviously helped make up those numbers, but still.

Our offense is starting to look up!
Reply/Quote
NFL is like an ever evolving chess match between offense and defensive scheme
Reply/Quote
Interesting timing for this thread.

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 06:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Interesting timing for this thread.

Read the actual OP instead of just the title. My point is even though many would Consider this a slow stretch he’s still doing great things and top 10.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 06:42 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Read the actual OP instead of just the title. My point is even though many would Consider this a slow stretch he’s still doing great things and top 10.

He's coming around. The whole offense is coming around.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 06:47 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: He's coming around. The whole offense is coming around.

Agreed. They still gotta stop the slow starts, but they score on 4 of their final 5 possessions. They seem to be finding an identity too.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 06:49 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Agreed. They still gotta stop the slow starts, but they score on 4 of their final 5 possessions. They seem to be finding an identity too.

I'm hoping they get the slow start monkey off their back this Sunday. And there should be a good chance.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 06:52 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm hoping they get the slow start monkey off their back this Sunday. And there should be a good chance.

I hope so too because this will be my first game at PBS since 2005
Reply/Quote
Things to remember:
Burrow always does better the second half even in college.
Chase avg 85 yards a game last year 79 this year. The way they are playing him it’s pretty good.
Burrow said they feel like they are figuring it out. The receivers are trying to break tackles more.
The OL was #26 per PFF.
The offensive staff is giving Burrow more leeway in changing the play but he’s finally bought in that they know what they are doing versus the deep safety looks. Joe has been too big play focused. Losing has awakened him that he can’t wait for the big play and has to go quick with his first read more often. The staff has always given him unprecedented leeway in changing the play for his inexperience. It’s not LSU or college. The last few weeks he’s not changed the plays as often. He realizes he’s got to take what’s given. He’s still learning.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 08:23 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The last few weeks he’s not changed the plays as often. He realizes he’s got to take what’s given. He’s still learning.

According to Zac there were much more than 8 run plays for Mixon called in from the sidelines, seems Joe is still changing plays but maybe getting better at it?

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 08:52 PM)casear2727 Wrote: According to Zac there were much more than 8 run plays for Mixon called in from the sidelines, seems Joe is still changing plays but maybe getting better at it?

He’s backing off the big pass plays. On the pass to Joe that resulted in a big first down and it didn’t look like a first down but Joe made the guy Miss and made an improbable first down. He was his fifth check down. But he bypassed 2,3,and 4. Yet other times his first read may be a short pass and he first may hesitate to peek at the second read which maybe a longer route. The reason Boyd hasn’t gotten as many balls is as much on Joe as the staff. Last year Joe was able to succeed easier because when he checked to the big play it worked. This year teams have taken that away and it’s a maturation process.

Much like last year things are going to get better for this offense. It was obvious in his presser Zac was elated with Joe’s decision making yesterday. Joes biggest hurdle was things came to easy too quick. He really is going to be another Tom Brady. If he had Brady’s OL many of those years we’d be undefeated right now. Anybody not think if the OL was playing like they did yesterday we’d be 6-0?
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 08:52 PM)casear2727 Wrote: According to Zac there were much more than 8 run plays for Mixon called in from the sidelines, seems Joe is still changing plays but maybe getting better at it?

They’ve worked hard on getting positive yards on first down. They are going with much shorter routes on first down. Joe has more leeway on the first read. He looks at the off or tight coverage and then the box. But he’s waiting for the snap to decide. They are focused more on positive yards on first down any way they can get it. Zac has gone back more to his routes in the west coast offense which was not Joe’s. They modified the offense to fit what Joe liked and was doing in college. Now it’s moving away but when Joe gets Chase or Higgins one on one they are going there no matter the down and distance and situation.

Reply/Quote
Believe this comeback win was exactly what the Bengals needed to get their head on straight going forward.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 07:12 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Just reflecting on what many (including myself) would say is not a great stretch for Chase.

He’s still 8th in receiving yards and 5th in TDs.

I remember watching the game at one point maybe halftime, he had 16 yards and then you look up and he finishes with 132 yards and 2 tuddies. I think that’s the mark of someone special- even when he’s struggling, he’s still producing at a high level.

Uh, yes sir. Dude is so strong and has such great balance that he can go off at any time for whatever...

Most talented WR/playmaker I have ever watched honestly. Ja'Marr is just crazy and now if he starts catching those deep balls...
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 02:07 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It's pretty amazing that Chase is considered to have a slow start while also being in the top 10 in the NFL in receiving yards and tied for 5th most touchdowns.

This last game obviously helped make up those numbers, but still.

Our offense is starting to look up!

well he did have a slow start by standards of a top 5 WR,  he was ranked in the 20th range in yards till yesterday.  
Reply/Quote