Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ja’Marr Chase wins AP OROY
(02-10-2022, 11:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Who hates Chase?

Unless he's talking about the early season drops criticism? The great ones always use any criticism as fuel, so I'm kinda glad that happened.

Either way, congrats to Ja'Marr. He's already a legend in my book.

There were a lot of bad takes regarding the Bengals when they chose Ja’Marr over Sewell. Those takes amplified once he had some preseason dropsies. They’re pretty much gone now, and those people look incredibly silly, but it definitely existed.

I don’t know that the hate was ever actually geared toward Chase though. It was more of a hate toward the Bengals for what people perceived to be a bad pick.

Glad he’s proven them wrong.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 12:56 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: There were a lot of bad tales regarding the Bengals when they chose Ja’Marr over Sewell. Those takes amplified once he had some preseason dropsies. They’re pretty much gone now, and those people look incredibly silly, but it definitely existed.

I don’t know that the hate was ever actually geared toward Chase though. It was more of a hate toward the Bengals for what people perceived to be a bad pick.

Glad he’s proven them wrong.

I was one of those people. Tbh, it was pretty much a 50/50 split. Line was the more traditional option when you have a franchise QB coming off a knee injury and an abysmal line. Glad we didn't think conventionally this time, obviously. LOL

That said, I don't think anyone looks silly now for what they said in April. There was a damn good argument to go with o-line back then. Including the playoffs, we gave up the 5th most sacks of all-time.

Chase just became a dream scenario, though, and Burrow stayed healthy. It was really the best scenario we could've dreamed up. You're right though. It was never anything against Chase.

I'm guessing this will come up literally every time Chase is discussed for the next 15 years. I won't let it rob my joy though. Everyone on here gets some wrong. That's a fact.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 01:14 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't think anyone looks silly now for what they said in April.

I don’t know, man. This below seems pretty silly. And I’m not really talking about fans who wanted protection for Burrow in the draft. I’m talking about those who said that Ja’Marr was a bust after dropping 3 balls, those that said the Bengals would be the worst team in the league because of the pick, and those who said that the franchise should be dissolved because of it.

This is just one example, but there are many more of these extreme statements that were made in response to Chase being drafted here. And they look very silly.

Mike Tannenbaum Wrote:If the Cincinnati Bengals don't draft an offensive tackle, they should be disbanded and revoked from the NFL.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/bengals/.amp/news/former-nfl-general-manager-if-bengals-dont-draft-penei-sewell-they-should-be-disbanded
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 01:14 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I was one of those people. Tbh, it was pretty much a 50/50 split. Line was the more traditional option when you have a franchise QB coming off a knee injury and an abysmal line. Glad we didn't think conventionally this time, obviously. LOL

That said, I don't think anyone looks silly now for what they said in April. There was a damn good argument to go with o-line back then. Including the playoffs, we gave up the 5th most sacks of all-time.

Chase just became a dream scenario, though, and Burrow stayed healthy. It was really the best scenario we could've dreamed up. You're right though. It was never anything against Chase.

I'm guessing this will come up literally every time Chase is discussed for the next 15 years. I won't let it rob my joy though. Everyone on here gets some wrong. That's a fact.

I don’t really want to rehash this stuff for the millionth time, but I’ll just say it was never the people that merely preferred taking Sewell that made themselves look silly. It was the completely over the top folks (like Tannenbaum and a couple posters here) that should be embarrassed by some of the things that they said.

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 01:27 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I don’t know, man. This below seems pretty silly. And I’m not really talking about fans who wanted protection for Burrow in the draft. I’m talking about those who said that Ja’Marr was a bust after dropping 3 balls, those that said the Bengals would be the worst team in the league because of the pick, and those who said that the franchise should be dissolved because of it.

This is just one example, but there are many more of these extreme statements that were made in response to Chase being drafted here. And they look very silly.

Yep. You beat me to it. Stuff like this. Or Bleacher Report giving the Chase pick an F.

Takes like that deserve to be ridiculed.

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 01:27 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I don’t know, man. This below seems pretty silly. And I’m not really talking about fans who wanted protection for Burrow in the draft. I’m talking about those who said that Ja’Marr was a bust after dropping 3 balls, those that said the Bengals would be the worst team in the league because of the pick, and those who said that the franchise should be dissolved because of it.

(02-11-2022, 01:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t really want to rehash this stuff for the millionth time, but I’ll just say it was never the people that merely preferred taking Sewell that made themselves look silly. It was the completely over the top folks (like Tannenbaum and a couple posters here) that should be embarrassed by some of the things that they said.

Fair enough, guys. I argued pretty fiercely with you and a few others, Nicomo, but not many of us made overly bold claims like that...and I was excited about Chase from day one. I understood why people wanted him, I just wanted the other guy more. Glad I was wrong. ThumbsUp
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I think this play made me realize how special he was gonna be. Plus it's the only good gif I could find. But awesome balance and agility to go with the speed. And he's OURS!
[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 11:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Should have been unanimous.

SURE SHOULD OF!!!

I could see a divided thought for just plain rookie of the year between Chase and Parsons but no way there was an offensive 
rookie even close to Ja'Marr.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 01:39 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I think this play made me realize how special he was gonna be. Plus it's the only good gif I could find. But awesome balance and agility to go with the speed. And he's OURS!
[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]

I think I’d put this one against the Chiefs slightly ahead of that one. If just you showed someone this picture and told them Chase somehow scored a TD on this play they probably wouldn’t believe you.

[Image: FIHjrocXEAE5NuA.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 02:03 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I think I’d put this one against the Chiefs slightly ahead of that one. If just you showed someone this picture and told them Chase somehow scored a TD on this play they probably wouldn’t believe you.

[Image: FIHjrocXEAE5NuA.jpg]

Agree, that was an amazing play.  I was more referring to earlier in the season when he scored the Vikes TD. That's when I felt he had arrived. Definitely not his BEST catch.   Also blocking for the TD for Mixon(?) was awesome.  The kid is the real deal.  He and Burrow could achieve amazing things!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
is this real?
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 11:33 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I assumed Chase meant TecmoBengals with the TB shout out.

Well at least it wasn't tuberculosis ..  Cool  Wait! Did he thank all the little people? If he didn't thank all the little people it's not official.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Man I’m not gonna lie. Idc.

After Sunday I’ll care
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 10:43 AM)Housh Wrote: Man I’m not gonna lie. Idc.

After Sunday I’ll care

Thanks for letting us know.

Reply/Quote
Higgins was probably feeling snubbed by Chase only mentioning Boyd! Not really since maybe they all look up to TB like that. But I find it interesting as the saying goes it's always hard to name names when thanking people. In the moment you are going to forget someone and leave them feeling left out.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 12:56 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I don’t know that the hate was ever actually geared toward Chase though. It was more of a hate toward the Bengals for what people perceived to be a bad pick.

This.

Pretty much everyone who was making a big deal out of the drops wanted us to draft Sewell.

I admit I wanted Sewell over Chase, but at the same time I felt both Chase and Pitts would be good NFL players.  So I did not really complain about taking Chase.  I felt we had a bigger need at O-line, but I did not think we were taking a potential bust with Chase.

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2022, 11:25 AM)jj22 Wrote: Higgins was probably feeling snubbed by Chase only mentioning Boyd! Not really since maybe they all look up to TB like that. But I find it interesting as the saying goes it's always hard to name names when thanking people. In the moment you are going to forget someone and leave them feeling left out.

My takeaway was that Chase was thanking TB since he's the veteran of the WR trio. I speculate Tee understood this and didn't feel slighted.

Worst outcome: Tee & Chase are never scooter riding buddies again.
Reply/Quote
WOOT

Who Dey
Reply/Quote