Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
Ja'Marr Chase and Joe Burrow criticize the offensive play calling
(09-20-2021, 12:14 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Thanks. I heard from another poster (not sure who) that Zac blamed the defense. I didn't hear that in the press conference. He blamed the offense's turnovers for the loss. 

Looking back, if they just took more deep shots and didn't turn the ball over they could have won easily. If Dalton didn't get injured, I think it would have been a tougher win. With Fields out there and our defense playing like they were, all we needed was to take care of the ball and connect on a TD to win. What a wasted opportunity.

He might not have come right out and said the defense cost us the game, but this tweet sure sounds like he’s putting at least some of the blame on them…

I didn’t watch the clip though, as I have no desire to spend 12 minutes of my life listening to Zac Taylor talk.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 12:14 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Thanks. I heard from another poster (not sure who) that Zac blamed the defense. I didn't hear that in the press conference. He blamed the offense's turnovers for the loss. 

Looking back, if they just took more deep shots and didn't turn the ball over they could have won easily. If Dalton didn't get injured, I think it would have been a tougher win. With Fields out there and our defense playing like they were, all we needed was to take care of the ball and connect on a TD to win. What a wasted opportunity.

I didn't hear it either? Zac took responsibility for a bad call early and then talked about the turnovers killing them.

It was a bad game from the offense overall. The defense certainly gave them a chance to win.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 12:20 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He might not have come right out and said the defense cost us the game, but this tweet sure sounds like he’s putting at least some of the blame on them…

I didn’t watch the clip though, as I have no desire to spend 12 minutes of my life listening to Zac Taylor talk.

I trust Dehner.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 12:26 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I trust Dehner.

Eh, he said what he said.

Reply/Quote
Regardless, unless he mentioned his own play calling I’m not really trying to hear it.

7-26-1 (.221) speaks for itself.

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 12:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Eh, he said what he said.

Where did he say it? I didn't hear it in the clip. Guessing it was during the interrupted portion?

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 12:30 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Where did he say it? I didn't hear it in the clip. Guessing it was during the interrupted portion?

No idea. Just saw the tweet from Conway.

Reply/Quote
(09-19-2021, 11:22 PM)Joelist Wrote: I can't agree open this one. The bad play calling is setting up the line issues not the other way around. No max protect? No going deep to get the defense to back off? No screens? Way too much empty backfield - which with a defense playing no less than 8 guys within 10 of the line is a recipe for blocking problems? I don't care who you run out there as linemen, no line is going to succeed with this gameplan. 

Notice the Rams did exactly what we should have - they max protected and threw deep right out of the gate. By getting the bombs they forced the Bears to back off the line.  

Max protect would remove all these weapons that were supposed to magically solve all our offensive woes.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
ZT needs to get out. The defense gave up 13 points today. If you can’t win when your D gives up 13 points you don’t deserve to be calling plays.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 12:20 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He might not have come right out and said the defense cost us the game, but this tweet sure sounds like he’s putting at least some of the blame on them…

What a mess. One loss and we already have our biggest names on offense throwing the HC under the bus, and the HC throwing the DC under the bus. This reeks of "we kept a bad HC for one year too many".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 12:44 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: What a mess. One loss and we already have our biggest names on offense throwing the HC under the bus, and the HC throwing the DC under the bus.

Our Offensive players said what needed to be said - that game plan was crap. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 12:42 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Max protect would remove all these weapons that were supposed to magically solve all our offensive woes.

Max protect keep the back and TE in to assist with blocking. It most certainly does NOT go empty backfield. Go with the RB and TE helping and send the WRs out deep. The Rams did this and it worked - but Zac was too stupid to.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 12:47 AM)Joelist Wrote: Our Offensive players said what needed to be said - that game plan was crap. 

I agree 100% with what they said, and tbh I'm glad they said it.

But...it does give the appearance of Zac losing the locker room. Already.

(09-20-2021, 12:48 AM)Joelist Wrote: Max protect keep the back and TE in to assist with blocking. It most certainly does NOT go empty backfield. Go with the RB and TE helping and send the WRs out deep. The Rams did this and it worked - but Zac was too stupid to.

I thought max protect was double TEs (and 2 RBs) all blocking?

That would definitely remove weapons.

That said, the type of protect you mention would certainly help, although it'd also hinder in some ways, and we'd be way predictable if we kept that up all season.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 12:44 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: What a mess. One loss and we already have our biggest names on offense throwing the HC under the bus, and the HC throwing the DC under the bus. This reeks of "we kept a bad HC for one year too many".

Hmmm....we won't be able to say we kept ZT for one year too many until the top 5 picks we keep getting from him stop being good.

2019 - Burrow
2020 - Chase
2021 - ?????

You really want to risk letting a top 5 talent slip through our fingers?  Actually, the real non-joke issue here is that we have a GM who has had the chance to make like 15-30x the absurdly high draft picks other GMs get to make. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 12:59 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmmm....we won't be able to say we kept ZT for one year too many until the top 5 picks we keep getting from him stop being good.

2019 - Burrow
2020 - Chase
2021 - ?????

You really want to risk letting a top 5 talent slip through our fingers?  Actually, the real non-joke issue here is that we have a GM who has had the chance to make like 15-30x the absurdly high draft picks other GMs get to make. 

A 15 year rebuild using only top 5 picks? Brilliant!
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 12:57 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I agree 100% with what they said, and tbh I'm glad they said it.

But...it does give the appearance of Zac losing the locker room. Already.

I thought max protect was double TEs (and 2 RBs) all blocking?

That would definitely remove weapons.

That said, the type of protect you mention would certainly help, although it'd also hinder in some ways, and we'd be way predictable if we kept that up all season.

Apparently we are already predictable, as evidenced today.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2021, 06:18 PM)Deacon Wrote: So, umm, when are all the better teams in the NFL gonna offer you guys the coaching and front office positions you're all so clearly deserving of? I mean, you've got all the answers.

Y'all enjoy the bigotry and blatant racism.

Uhmmm... What?  What bigotry and blatant racism?
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 12:48 AM)Joelist Wrote: Max protect keep the back and TE in to assist with blocking. It most certainly does NOT go empty backfield. Go with the RB and TE helping and send the WRs out deep. The Rams did this and it worked - but Zac was too stupid to.

Does it really do any good to keep a RB in to block when he can't handle his blocking assignments?  
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2021, 06:01 PM)Trademark Wrote:

Careful Ja'Marr, Taylor might try to chase (pun intended) you out of town next.

Now Burrow is calling out the play calling.

One could be critical of Chase dropped passes or Burrow interceptions.  There is plenty of blame to go around on offense including Burrow and Chase.  The O Line Blocking took a step backwards, and The Playbook Does Not Work Without Blocking.  You can take all the X's and O's and flush them down the toilet if there is no Blocking Execution. This we have seen in Cincy since after 2016.  2017 on has been a lesson in how not to block. 

Now they can gripe and moan, or they can get ready for The Steelers who will not show up for Bengals to cry on their shoulders.  If the Bengals expect a Pity Party from The Steelers, they will not get one. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
They’re right. Insipid self defeating crap plan.
Reply/Quote