Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ja'Von Rolland-Jones: Undrafted Rookie FA!
CincyJungle has an article about Rolland-Jones, who is an undrafted defensive end out of Arkansas State.

They have some videos on him on that page and he looks to have great speed, nice moves, and some sneaky power that could make him a nice situational pass rusher on obvious passing downs. He didn't play the best competition, so I'm not voting him for the Pro Bowl right now or even saying that he'll for sure make the team, but I do like what I see in his highlights.

In 2016, he did have 13.5 sacks, which was the most in Sun Belt history.

At 6’2” 253, they might want him to put on some weight, but hopefully it's just in muscle and not too much because speed and agility are his biggest assets.

He does need to learn to get off blocks and get to the quarterback if his initial move doesn't get past blockers or lets them get their hands on him, which Jacob Burney should be able to coach him to improve because he has been one of our only consistently good coaches.

Like I said, I'm not inducting him into the Hall of Fame or anything, but I think he could make some noise and grab a few sacks if he can make the team!

It's fun to get excited over possibilities in the offseason!
Reply/Quote
I don't know Brad, we seem pretty stacked on the DL rotation possibilities. But, you never know.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Who ever thought being 6'2" and 253 would ever be undersized?  I don't even want to guess what I'd look like at 253..  The most I've ever weighed was 185 and that was when I was hauling scrap metal all day ,every day for a living   .. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I wish we had a cool story of an undrafted RT or RG who looks to break through
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(07-01-2018, 08:26 AM)TSwigZ Wrote: I wish we had a cool story of an undrafted RT or RG who looks to break through

You and me both!  That would be just stellar.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2018, 08:28 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: You and me both!  That would be just stellar.

My opinion was and is that with better coaching, we may find that players we HAVE are better than we thought. 3 OL jobs are likely covered.  we have  at least 5 candidates for the other 2 spots.  Decent odds.   Westerman and Redmond saw some action (finally) and did okay.  Ced O?  he WAS a #1 pick for a reason. He's not gonna be the regular at LT but is in the mix at RT and G.    Fisher was a rd 2, he's had mad issues but if 100% now? Might do okay. Hart is a veteran.. but projects as backup T.   A few other guys mainly are in the mix as backups.. but....untill we get pre season games we're guessing.  i doubt we FULLY get the O-Line I'd want just yet, but makeing a BIG improvement is doable and a great start.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2018, 08:26 AM)TSwigZ Wrote: I wish we had a cool story of an undrafted RT or RG who looks to break through

Kent Perkins, Trey Hopkins?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2018, 10:08 AM)redwood Wrote: My opinion was and is that with better coaching, we may find that players we HAVE are better than we thought. 3 OL jobs are likely covered.  we have  at least 5 candidates for the other 2 spots.  Decent odds.   Westerman and Redmond saw some action (finally) and did okay.  Ced O?  he WAS a #1 pick for a reason. He's not gonna be the regular at LT but is in the mix at RT and G.    Fisher was a rd 2, he's had mad issues but if 100% now? Might do okay. Hart is a veteran.. but projects as backup T.   A few other guys mainly are in the mix as backups.. but....untill we get pre season games we're guessing.  i doubt we FULLY get the O-Line I'd want just yet, but makeing a BIG improvement is doable and a great start.

Glenn
Boling
Price
Westerman
Fisher

line goes from a (C minus D plus)   to B    ..everything gets better
Reply/Quote

(07-01-2018, 10:37 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Kent Perkins, Trey Hopkins?

Or a drafted one...

I'd like to see Rod Taylor surprise. He's got the talent, needs to add some upper body strength.
Reply/Quote
JVRJ is one of the more intriguing UDFAs for me.  I kind of hope that he makes it, because I could see him doing well in a similar role to how Lawson was used last year.  
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2018, 01:45 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: JVRJ is one of the more intriguing UDFAs for me.  I kind of hope that he makes it, because I could see him doing well in a similar role to how Lawson was used last year.  

Geno, Billings, Brown, Glasglow, Baker...Dunlap, MJ, Willis, Hubbard. That's 9....and Lawson makes 10 depending on what roster spot he takes up.

I'd say Rolland-Jones is destined for the practice squad.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-01-2018, 01:56 PM)Synric Wrote: Geno, Billings, Brown, Glasglow, Baker...Dunlap, MJ, Willis, Hubbard. That's 9....and Lawson makes 10 depending on what roster spot he takes up.

I'd say you're right.  We just have too much depth for him to make the roster. 
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2018, 05:56 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: CincyJungle has an article about Rolland-Jones, who is an undrafted defensive end out of Arkansas State.

They have some videos on him on that page and he looks to have great speed, nice moves, and some sneaky power that could make him a nice situational pass rusher on obvious passing downs.  He didn't play the best competition, so I'm not voting him for the Pro Bowl right now or even saying that he'll for sure make the team, but I do like what I see in his highlights.  

In 2016, he did have 13.5 sacks, which was the most in Sun Belt history.

At 6’2” 253, they might want him to put on some weight, but hopefully it's just in muscle and not too much because speed and agility are his biggest assets.

He does need to learn to get off blocks and get to the quarterback if his initial move doesn't get past blockers or lets them get their hands on him, which Jacob Burney should be able to coach him to improve because he has been one of our only consistently good coaches.

Like I said, I'm not inducting him into the Hall of Fame or anything, but I think he could make some noise and grab a few sacks if he can make the team!

It's fun to get excited over possibilities in the offseason!

He is already a better pass rusher then our starting RE.

He needs to get better at stopping the run and like you said shedding blocks but as a situational pass rusher he
could help us out similar to what Chris Smith did for us last year. MJ is taking up some salary and doesn't offer
enough for what he gets. I could see MJ getting cut and Rolland Jones sneaking onto the roster.

(07-01-2018, 10:37 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Kent Perkins, Trey Hopkins?

and Alex Redmond might even be able to play RT. 6'5" with long arms.

Perkins played well in the one time he played against starters last year in the Ravens game.

We went right down the field and scored. I think out of Fisher, Hart, Perkins, Taylor, Hopkins and Taylor we will
find someone to lock down the RT position. That is a lot of dudes and honestly some talent. Not talking about Og
as i just have no hope for the guy but who knows with Pollack, heard he looks much better but i am not holding
my breath with Og.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2018, 01:56 PM)Synric Wrote: Geno, Billings, Brown, Glasglow, Baker...Dunlap, MJ, Willis, Hubbard. That's 9....and Lawson makes 10 depending on what roster spot he takes up.

I don't think that I would bet on MJ being retained this year - this d-line was run on pretty well last year.  If either Lawson or Rolland-Jones were to cross train at SAM and do ok, I think that he'd have a decent shot.  He probably has one anyway if he doesn't get washed out by better competition.

He just has a fluid look to him, suggesting that he could be a pretty good player if he kept building on what he was already naturally good at.  He's right in the middle of where rookie versions of Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney were size-wise, so he shouldn't be too small to succeed in the right scheme.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2018, 03:55 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I don't think that I would bet on MJ being retained this year - this d-line was run on pretty well last year.  If either Lawson or Rolland-Jones were to cross train at SAM and do ok, I think that he'd have a decent shot.  He probably has one anyway if he doesn't get washed out by better competition.

He just has a fluid look to him, suggesting that he could be a pretty good player if he kept building on what he was already naturally good at.  He's right in the middle of where rookie versions of Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney were size-wise, so he shouldn't be too small to succeed in the right scheme.

Until MJ is actually cut I plan on counting him on the 53 man roster. And to add there are reasons Rolland Jones is an UDFA.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(07-01-2018, 03:55 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I don't think that I would bet on MJ being retained this year - this d-line was run on pretty well last year.  If either Lawson or Rolland-Jones were to cross train at SAM and do ok, I think that he'd have a decent shot.  He probably has one anyway if he doesn't get washed out by better competition.

Completely agree Bilbo. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2018, 02:02 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I'd say you're right.  We just have too much depth for him to make the roster. 

If Rolland-Jones ends up impressing enough and Hubbard is as good out of the gate as he's being hyped to be, maybe the Bengals cut MJ toward the end of camp to make room for Rolland-Jones. Not likely but it could happen.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-01-2018, 04:04 PM)Synric Wrote: Until MJ is actually cut I plan on counting him on the 53 man roster. And to add there are reasons Rolland Jones is an UDFA.

Reasons are (lack of) size and playing in Sun Belt Conference.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
sounds like a great fit for an OLB in a 3-4
Reply/Quote