Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jack Del Rio - Converting to 3-4
(01-28-2019, 09:43 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I don't understand why everyone thinks we will be a 3-4 team if Deal Rio becomes D coordinator because he has run a 4-3 everywhere he has been.

This is correct. People probably get it misconstrued because they think of Von Miller being an elite pass rusher and playing LB.
However, here was the starting front seven for DEN in 2014...

LDE - Derek Wolfe
DT - Sylvester Williams
NT - Terrance Knighton
RDE - Demarcus Ware

SAM - Von Miller
MIKE - Nate Irving
WILL - Danny Trevathan

Del Rio had so much success with DEN defense in the pass rush department and was perceived as running a 3-4 because he would use his SAM as a pass rusher often.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 01:44 AM)Synric Wrote: Early in the season before the injuries to Lawson and Glasgow they used Hubbard as a pass rushing linebacker.

I don't remember that, but I did miss some games this past season.
That's probably not a ringing endorsement then for Hubbard though, as he only had 1.0 sack while Lawson was active.
After Lawson went down, Hubbard had 5.0 sacks.
Hubbard probably isn't the most ideal pass rushing LB but maybe someone can prove otherwise? Was Hubbard still rushing from LB after Lawson went down? I thought he was rushing from DL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2019, 05:04 PM)Au165 Wrote: He used Bruce Irvin as a hybrid Rush LB in the 4-3 similar to what Seattle did with him. I think Lawson could be a similar tool here for that.

I'm not really up to speed on Del Rio, but what scheme did he run with DBs?
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2019, 03:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If the defense stays a 4-3, I'd love to see a LB used as a 5th pass rusher occasionally. That's always been a frustration for me with Bengals teams in the past, only sending 4 rushers and usually only 2-3 being any good. Having that combined with LBs who are poor in coverage resulted in a mediocre defense. And once the run defense also started to decline, we saw a bottom-feeder defense.

This would piss me off also! It was almost like Merv thought it was the law, he could only rush 4 at a time...
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2019, 11:54 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't remember that, but I did miss some games this past season.
That's probably not a ringing endorsement then for Hubbard though, as he only had 1.0 sack while Lawson was active.
After Lawson went down, Hubbard had 5.0 sacks.
Hubbard probably isn't the most ideal pass rushing LB but maybe someone can prove otherwise? Was Hubbard still rushing from LB after Lawson went down? I thought he was rushing from DL.

They only did it a few times because they moved Hubbard to full time DT after Glasgow went down for a few games.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote