Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jackson Carman confident he can be the Bengals starting left guard
(05-25-2022, 01:52 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: No Fred, I do remember correctly. Alexander had input and talked specifically to Mike Brown and recommended and endorsed the pick. 

"Yeah, I talked to Mike about it. I go straight to the top. Mike wanted to talk about Jackson, and obviously I gave him (Carman) a strong endorsement and I think he's going to be terrific" - Paul Alexander

Watch the video below: 

Paul Alexander on the Bengals' Pursuit of Jackson Carman - Bing video

I guess you must have missed that tid bit when you put every piece of Bengals information (mainly assumptions) in that all knowing head of yours. 

Yes I knew PA had talked to Mike. Just pointing out that his opinion was meaningless. We did not select Carman based on the "influence" of Paul Alexander.

Guess you were the one who missed the point.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 03:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes I knew PA had talked to Mike. Just pointing out that his opinion was meaningless. We did not select Carman based on the "influence" of Paul Alexander.

Guess you were the one who missed the point.

Why would Mike want to talk to PA about Jackson if he considered his opinion "meaningless"? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Alexander jokingly commented to the media he goes "right to the top." Alexander worked with approximately 25 potential OL draft picks. Alexander went on record stating that Mike Brown said, "Tell me about Jackson Carman" after Alexander offered to share his views about the 25 players. Alexander also indicates he thought Brown would first ask about Sewell.

If this is accurate, then Brown potentially had an interest in Carman prior to talking to Alexander. It's easy to infer that Alexander's comments potentially had clout with Brown.

This is all from an SI article titled "Cincinnati Bengals Get Mike Brown's Guy..."

Link: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/bengals-get-mike-browns-guy-an-inside-look-at-their-pursuit-of-jackson-carman

I speculate Brown had interest in Carman because of the local Fairfield connection and him coming from the winning Clemson program. I think it is also safe to assume Alexander's endorsement influenced Brown, even if only to a small extent.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 04:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why would Mike want to talk to PA about Jackson if he considered his opinion "meaningless"? 

Survey says: Alexander's opinion wasn't meaningless to Brown.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 04:08 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Survey says: Alexander's opinion wasn't meaningless to Brown.

Survey might say it, but Fred never will....(or he'll say he never said it)

Of course PA's opinion carried some weight or Mikey wouldn't have inquired. How much, who knows? 

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 04:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why would Mike want to talk to PA about Jackson if he considered his opinion "meaningless"? 

If Bengals let Paul Alexander determine who we draft then why doesn't  he talk to the guys that make draft decisions.

I have been told in no uncertain terms that Zac  is in control of the players we draft. Or maybe Robin. But Mike does not control draft picks anymore.

Pretty sure the only reason Mike was only interested in Carman was that he had already been informed by Taylor or Tobin.

You guys actually think Mike Brown scouted all the college O-line prospects; fell in love with Carman; called in PA to rubber stamp he decision; and then told Tobin to take him??

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 04:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If Bengals let Paul Alexander determine who we draft then why doesn't  he talk to the guys that make draft decisions.

I have been told in no uncertain terms that Zac  is in control of the players we draft. Or maybe Robin. But Mike does not control draft picks anymore.

Pretty sure the only reason Mike was only interested in Carman was that he had already been informed by Taylor or Tobin.

You guys actually think Mike Brown scouted all the college O-line prospects; fell in love with Carman; called in PA to rubber stamp he decision; and then told Tobin to take him??

To no one's surprise you made up something that was never said and then argued that it was wrong and you were right. The closest anyone has come to asserting anything even close to what you are arguing is PA "heavily influenced" the decision. 

No one said PA "determined, rubber stamped, was the reason" the pick. No one said Mike scouted anyone. What folks are saying is that PA's input was part of the decision-making process and most agree it was. If whomever is making the final call is doing so in a vacuum I'd be quite surprised. 

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 05:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  What folks are saying is that PA's input was part of the decision-making process and most agree it was. 

But there is no evidence of that at all.

In fact it seems like the decision to take Carman was made before Mike even talked to PA.  If not then Mike would have wanyted to hear about other options and not just Carman.

Lets just wait and see how many give PA all the credit for "heavily influencing" the decision to draft Carman if he becomes a good starter.LOL
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 06:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But there is no evidence of that at all.

In fact it seems like the decision to take Carman was made before Mike even talked to PA.  If not then Mike would have wanyted to hear about other options and not just Carman.

Lets just wait and see how many give PA all the credit for "heavily influencing" the decision to draft Carman if he becomes a good starter.LOL

Except for the video interview where PA says "he went straight to the top" MB of course, about Carman. Not sure how you can discount that ?
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 07:12 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Except for the video interview where PA says "he went straight to the top" MB of course, about Carman. Not sure how you can discount that ?

& the endless articles one can find via Google documenting Brown asked PA's opinion a bout Carman.
Reply/Quote
So if Carman comes out and dominates at the LG position thi year, are y'all gonna give PA credit?
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 04:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If Bengals let Paul Alexander determine who we draft then why doesn't  he talk to the guys that make draft decisions.

That’s the way to call it like it is. Fred = Chuck Noland.
Reply/Quote

Either you are lying or been lied to. Mike made that Carmen pick, he forced that pick. It was not popular.  That dirty little secret has been out for awhile.  You are showing extreme naivety.

Hopefully this is the last time MB pulls his weight like that again.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 07:22 PM)Sled21 Wrote: So if Carman comes out and dominates at the LG position thi year, are y'all gonna give PA credit?

I have no issue doing that.  But he and MB made that pick.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 06:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But there is no evidence of that at all.

Of course there's evidence, it's been presented in this very thread numerous times. The ONLY thing that hasn't been supported with anything tangible is you assertion that PA's input was meaningless. 

This is silly even for you and that's saying a lot.  

Personally I won't give PA "all the credit" regardless if JC never starts a game or makes the HOF, but I know what to call an animal that  walks, quacks, and looks like a duck. 

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 08:49 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I have no issue doing that.  But he and MB made that pick.

Evidence proof and links plz.  You seem real confident for someone not linking any proof.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 09:16 PM)Stewy Wrote: Evidence proof and links plz.  You seem real confident for someone not linking any proof.

(1) Will Jackson Carman Start at Left Guard? | Cincinnati Bengals Offseason - YouTube

7:10
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 09:39 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: (1) Will Jackson Carman Start at Left Guard? | Cincinnati Bengals Offseason - YouTube

7:10

PA says he spoke to MB - fact

MB made this pick - pure speculation
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 09:16 PM)Stewy Wrote: Evidence proof and links plz.  You seem real confident for someone not linking any proof.

Have you read the thread, several documented pieces of proof. And mine is a bit more intimate. I have a solid contact and other decent ones, I also rented to 2 Bengals players. 

I have no desire to give up any source to jackoffs on the internet. You can look at my post history and see that I have yet to be wrong about anything that I said I had heard about.   There a couple on here who do know who my guys are.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 09:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course there's evidence, it's been presented in this very thread numerous times. The ONLY thing that hasn't been supported with anything tangible is you assertion that PA's input was meaningless. 

This is silly even for you and that's saying a lot.  

Personally I won't give PA "all the credit" regardless if JC never starts a game or makes the HOF, but I know what to call an animal that  walks, quacks, and looks like a duck. 

[Image: monty-python-holy-grail-and-the-flying-c...cleese.gif]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote