Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jackson Carman or Jonah Williams
The biggest surprise development (for me at least ) has been the development of Carman at LT. He might not be the next Munoz but the guy filled in at LT and Jonah wasn't really missed.

I think Jonah is the better player but 2 questions remain.

1.) Is he worth the 12 million dollars that is owed to him next season or is that money better spent elsewhere ?

2.) Will the Bengals commit to him longterm?

Edit- IF cut the Bengals will not gain any cap room would have to be traded for that to happen.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Only the coaches know if Carman is actually capable. I'm sure they will watch the last two games closely to see if they really think he can get the job done.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
When I can rewatch the KC game (in months) I will focus on Carman. Hopefully he had a good game and can give us options at LT because Williams just isn't the answer.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 06:34 PM)J24 Wrote: The biggest surprise development (for me at least ) has been the development of Carman at LT. He might not be the next Munoz but the guy filled in at LT and Jonah wasn't really missed.

I think Jonah is the better player but 2 questions remain.

1.) Is he worth the 12 million dollars  that is owed to him next season or is that money better spent elsewhere ?

2.) Will the Bengals commit to him longterm?

Jonah's 5th year option is guaranteed, so you can't spend that elsewhere.   One of them will probably need to play RT next year, since I doubt LC will be ready to start the year.

LC doesnt really have much in the way of guaranteed $ - a dead cap hit of only 3m next year if he's not going to be ready to play.   If they think Carman is capable, then Jonah may well be playing RT next year.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 06:42 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: Jonah's 5th year option is guaranteed, so you can't spend that elsewhere.   One of them will probably need to play RT next year, since I doubt LC will be ready to start the year.

LC doesnt really have much in the way of guaranteed $ - a dead cap hit of only 3m next year if he's not going to be ready to play.   If they think Carman is capable, then Jonah may well be playing RT next year.

They can trade him and that team would pick up the option.
J24

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 06:44 PM)J24 Wrote: They can trade him and that team would pick up the option.

That's only true if the Bengals trade him before the new league year starts, right?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 06:44 PM)J24 Wrote: They can trade him and that team would pick up the option.

You think a team is gonna trade for a $12.5 mil LT who led the league in sacks allowed & dislocated BOTH kneecaps last year AND can walk after the year? 

LC shoukd be good to go come August. 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 06:57 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: You think a team is gonna trade for a $12.5 mil LT who led the league in sacks allowed & dislocated BOTH kneecaps last year AND can walk after the year? 

Yes I think a team would trade for Jonah especially a team looking for a guard.
J24

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 06:47 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's only true if the Bengals trade him before the new league year starts, right?

I haven't seen anything like that 
J24

Reply/Quote
I think at the very least it needs to be an open competition. We know JC can’t play guard, but could Jonah fit somewhere else on the line that would upgrade what we have? Try to get the best value out of both of them. It was a pleasant surprise for him the past 2 weeks. He also helps in the run game more than Jonah.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 07:13 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I think at the very least it needs to be an open competition. We know JC can’t play guard, but could Jonah fit somewhere else on the line that would upgrade what we have? Try to get the best value out of both of them. It was a pleasant surprise for him the past 2 weeks. He also helps in the run game more than Jonah.

Maybe at RT but I'm pretty sure all of the IOL is spoken for.
J24

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 07:15 PM)J24 Wrote: Maybe at RT but I'm pretty sure all of the IOL is spoken for.

Maybe let him and Volson compete for LG, but yeah, I don’t see Karras or Cappa being replaced and honestly probably don’t need to
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 06:39 PM)jj22 Wrote: When I can rewatch the KC game (in months) I will focus on Carman. Hopefully he had a good game and can give us options at LT because Williams just isn't the answer.

Yes, will re-watch the last 2 games before saying Carman is the answer at LT.

Still would want someone elite manning the LT position and Carman's struggles against speed rushers makes sure he isn't elite, 
unless all of a sudden he gets quicker feet. 
Reply/Quote
In my opinion we need a RT right now so why not keep them both and have one of them compete at RT.
Reply/Quote
I expect Jackson Carman to get the first snap at LT in the pre-season anything more than that will be based off how he preforms in camp and his off-season.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 06:57 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: You think a team is gonna trade for a $12.5 mil LT who led the league in sacks allowed & dislocated BOTH kneecaps last year AND can walk after the year? 

I'm torn on that one.  He wasn't very good when he was playing, and this injury to 2 of his ligaments doesn't give me much faith.
Reply/Quote
At some point you have to stop moving a guy around.
I think it's likely they keep the current cast (maybe Sharping leaves) and they focus on

1. A versatile ot pick in the first 4 rds.

2. A cut vet OT, 3rd tackle type. They'll be spending most of their pool trying to resign some of their many 2024 class free agents. That means when Bates, Pratt and Apple garner comp picks, they target cut bets that dont count against them. The old system, but the " win now" push will be to spend now so you're letting key core guys leave in a year. That means you're not overspending 7-9M/yr on an average OT. They may get a ring chaser that is a cap cut with a year or two in the tank.
Reply/Quote
What is the cap situation of savings versus dead money if they let Williams walk?

It's also going to matter who the Bengals are able to bring back, draft and get in free agency. If they lose several of their top FA's and have to spend a lot of draft capital on replacing them then it's going to be hard to make a move that creates another hole like letting Williams or LC go.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I’d trade him. He’s been a huge disappointment and I think Carman has better talent and long term potential.

Find Gettleman and grab another BJ Hill for another Billy Price.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 06:42 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: Jonah's 5th year option is guaranteed, so you can't spend that elsewhere.   One of them will probably need to play RT next year, since I doubt LC will be ready to start the year.

At least with Jonah playing RT Joe can see the free runners coming at him 
Reply/Quote