Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jacob Burney retires
Looks like one more opening to fill on the staff.

Reply/Quote
That one was a bit unexpected. Best of luck to coach Burney in his retirement.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 12:38 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Looks like one more opening to fill on the staff.

Somebody--might have been Hobson--reported right after Marv was dismissed that Burney was considering retirement.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 12:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That one was a bit unexpected.  Best of luck to coach Burney in his retirement.

To be honest the D-line was a big disappointment to me last year.  We were worse at other positions like LB, but we have 2 of our best players (Atkins, Dunlap) at D-line and the entire unit got blanked on multiple occasions.

So it might be a good thing to bring in a new D-line coach.

Reply/Quote
Absolutely...
Reply/Quote
After getting both Dunlap and Atkins in 2010 the Bengals had more high draft picks (1-3 round) flop at D-line than any other position by far.  But Hubbard and lawson both look like potential stars and Glasglow could be a decent starter.  It is crucial that we get a good position coach when we are developing young talent.

I don't watch every game since I can't get Sunday Ticket anymore, so it is hard for me to have much of an opinion on Glasglow or Billings.  DTs generally don't put up high numbers in sacks or tackles, and many times they do their job perfectly by closing down a running lane but there is no stat for that.

And it is also hard to judge DTs based on the run defense.  The entire front seven has to be included when talking about the front line of run defense.  
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 01:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: To be honest the D-line was a big disappointment to me last year.  We were worse at other positions like LB, but we have 2 of our best players (Atkins, Dunlap) at D-line and the entire unit got blanked on multiple occasions.

So it might be a good thing to bring in a new D-line coach.

Before the injuries started piling up, I thought the DL was doing a pretty good job.  The best example that comes to mind is the second half of that Miami game.  Losing guys like Lawson and Glassgow really takes a toll on the others, when those snap counts start piling up.  MJ continuing to diminish, and Jordan Willis failing to develop into an impact player, really didn't help the situation much.  The LB situation didn't make their jobs any easier, either.

So, do you put that on the coaching, or just bad luck?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 01:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Before the injuries started piling up, I thought the DL was doing a pretty good job.  The best example that comes to mind is the second half of that Miami game.  Losing guys like Lawson and Glassgow really takes a toll on the others, when those snap counts start piling up.  MJ continuing to diminish, and Jordan Willis failing to develop into an impact player, really didn't help the situation much.  The LB situation didn't make their jobs any easier, either.

So, do you put that on the coaching, or just bad luck?

I’d say it partly Burney’s fault Willis hasn’t developed.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 02:15 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’d say it partly Burney’s fault Willis hasn’t developed.

I don't know, maybe I just had unrealistic expectations of him?  

When they drafted him, I thought he was going to compete for the rush end position, on the Right side.  But, when I first saw how huge he had grown, it started to become evident that they are grooming him to be the Strong Side DE.  Maybe we have just gotten used to Dunlap being so good, as a Strong Side DE, that when we see merely "average" play at the position, it just looks bad to us?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 12:38 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Looks like one more opening to fill on the staff.

Have a nice retirement Burney.

Lets get a DL coach that can get the most out of this talent now shall we?
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 02:15 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I’d say it partly Burney’s fault Willis hasn’t developed.

But that's what one player in six? 

Billings Glasgow Lawson and Hubbard all look like they have a bright future. Andrew Brown we haven't seen yet.

Before Burney they had alot of bad defensive line picks.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 12:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That one was a bit unexpected.  Best of luck to coach Burney in his retirement.

I doubt the team was surprised, considering all the other coaches were on contracts that ended in 2020.  It seems like this may have been a planned retirement.  Not announcing it with the others so it wouldn't look like a firing is totally something Mike Brown would do.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
So are we down to just QB, ST, and WR as the only coaches returning?

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 01:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: After getting both Dunlap and Atkins in 2010 the Bengals had more high draft picks (1-3 round) flop at D-line than any other position by far.  But Hubbard and lawson both look like potential stars and Westerman could be a decent starter.  It is crucial that we get a good position coach when we are developing young talent.

I don't watch every game since I can't get Sunday Ticket anymore, so it is hard for me to have much of an opinion on Westerman or Billings.  DTs generally don't put up high numbers in sacks or tackles, and many times they do their job perfectly by closing down a running lane but there is no stat for that.

And it is also hard to judge DTs based on the run defense.  The entire front seven has to be included when talking about the front line of run defense.  

How many sacks did weatherman have anyways? Seems
Like he should have been an Olineman But that’s just me.

Ninja

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 01:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: After getting both Dunlap and Atkins in 2010 the Bengals had more high draft picks (1-3 round) flop at D-line than any other position by far.  But Hubbard and lawson both look like potential stars and Westerman could be a decent starter.  It is crucial that we get a good position coach when we are developing young talent.

I don't watch every game since I can't get Sunday Ticket anymore, so it is hard for me to have much of an opinion on Westerman or Billings.  DTs generally don't put up high numbers in sacks or tackles, and many times they do their job perfectly by closing down a running lane but there is no stat for that.

put any variable you want but below is the plane stats   on sacks....

2018  18.5 DL sacks vs.  1.5  LB

2017  32 DL  to 4 LB
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2019, 12:37 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So are we down to just QB, ST, and WR as the only coaches returning?

I think the secondary defensive coaches will return.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2019, 04:28 PM)pally Wrote: I doubt the team was surprised, considering all the other coaches were on contracts that ended in 2020.  It seems like this may have been a planned retirement.  Not announcing it with the others so it wouldn't look like a firing is totally something Mike Brown would do.

And they have come out an named the coaches that would be retained, Van Pelt, Simmons, Jones and Livingston. Burney was never mentioned as being retained. I thought it was a given he was gone.....
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2019, 12:47 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: How many sacks did weatherman have anyways? Seems
Like he should have been an Olineman But that’s just me.

Ninja

Derp.  I was thinking of Glasglow and typing Westerman.
Reply/Quote
Always a class act, was very friendly at preseason practices
Reply/Quote