Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bell to the Jets
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/leveon-bell-saga-finally-ends-as-running-back-agrees-to-sign-with-jets-on-a-four-year-deal/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Man, that's one smart guy. Not only did he miss an entire year's pay, by sitting out last season, but he signed for less than the Steelers had offered.

He really showed them! LOL

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 08:20 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Man, that's one smart guy.  Not only did he miss an entire year's pay, by sitting out last season, but he signed for less than the Steelers had offered.

He really showed them!  LOL

Yeah he better hope sitting out a year extends his ability to play at a high level longer or he's going to have a hard time making up the $14 million he gave up last year.  With the Jets he only got $2 million more guaranteed than the Steelers offered him and $875000 less per year.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 08:33 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Yeah he better hope sitting out a year extends his ability to play at a high level longer or he's going to have a hard time making up the $14 million he gave up last year.  With the Jets he only got $2 million more guaranteed than the Steelers offered him and $875000 less per year.

Rappers aren't exactly known for their arithmetic skills..   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 08:38 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Rappers aren't exactly known for their arithmetic skills..   Ninja

I’m not into rap myself, but calling him a “rapper” is probably pretty insulting to the real one’s lol

Reply/Quote
So if you are making less than was offered, how long does it take to make up the money you missed out on?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 10:21 AM)michaelsean Wrote: So if you are making less than was offered, how long does it take to make up the money you missed out on?

I suck at math (and I not a rapper) but lets see if I can figure this out based on potential earnings.  If I mess it up don't get snotty with me.  :)

I'll leave the guaranteed money out for this part and will get to that later. :

The Steelers offer was $70 million over 5 years ($14 million a year).  So he would earn a total of $56 million over the first 4 years of the contract.  But he didn't sign and is now $14 million in the red so to speak due to not playing last year.

He will earn $52.5 over 4 years ($13,125,000 a year) if he plays out his contract with the Jets.  $56 million (4 years pay under the Steelers contract) - $52.5 million (Jets contract) = $3.5 million less he will earn over the next 4 years if he plays out his contract. 

With the $14 million he is already short from not playing last year plus the $3.5 million he is getting payed less over the next 4 years than if he had accepted the Steelers offer he would end up with $17.5 million less by the end of his contract with the Jets.  To put it more simply $70 million - $52.5 million = $17.5 million.

Now about the guaranteed money:

This depends on how much he is fully guaranteed.  I have not seen that figure posted yet.  Edit I just saw a rumor that it is $28 million fully guaranteed.  That apparently was what Bell was looking for.  So if he suffers a career ending injury, gets cut, or for some other reason can't play in the early portion of his contract with the Jets he made the right choice.  As opposed to the Steelers who I think offered him $15 million fully guaranteed last year. His Jet's contract total guarantees is $2 million more ($35 million) guaranteed than the Steelers offer ($33 million) .

Now let's look at earning the money back he has lost from not playing last year and signing a lower contract from what the Steelers offered:

Again with the above assumptions about playing the full length of the contract Bell will end up with $17.5 less 4 years from now than he would have earned with the Steelers.  

Basically he will have to hope that year off gave him extra years after his current contract where he can still play well enough to get a fairly big new contract. That or hope he can play even longer getting paid at the non-elite level / average level. It depends on his health and how well he ages.  By then he will be 31 years old.  I think in the best case scenario it would take at least 2 years as I don't see a 31 year old RB making $17.5 million a year.  However given his age by then probably closer to 2.5 years and that's just to break even based on his potential earning from the Steelers offer.  To make more than his potential earning from the Steelers he's probably going to have to hope to play until he is at least 35 years old.

Either way it's still a loss for a few reasons.  For one, he will have to play longer than he may want to to break even. Secondly, consider the year of lost money from the $14 million last year that could have been put in to investments or could be earning interest for a year.  Also I think New Jersey has a significantly higher state income tax so that is even more money lost. Lastly, he went to the Jets, a team that will have to improve significantly to be on the same level as his previous team.

In summary, he may not ever fully recoup what he could have potentially earned had he accepted the Steelers offer last year.  He gambled and ended up leaving a lot of potential earnings on the table.  Also I did not include any potential bonuses he may earn and simply based it on base salary. For example it is reported that his Jets contract has a max value of $61 million.  

I probably messed something up in my post.  Like I said I math is certainly not my strong point  Big Grin

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 02:42 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I suck at math (and I not a rapper) but lets see if I can figure this out based on potential earnings.  If I mess it up don't get snotty with me.  :)

I'll leave the guaranteed money out for this part and will explain that later.  I'm basing this on playing 4 years of pay since that is what the Jets contract is for:

The Steelers offer was $70 million over 5 years ($14 million a year).  So he would earn a total of $56 million over the first 4 years of the contract.  But he didn't sign and is now $14 million in the red so to speak due to not playing last year.

He will earn $52.5 over 4 years ($13,125,000 a year) if he plays out his contract with the Jets.  $56 million (4 years pay under the Steelers contract) - $52.5 million (Jets contract) = $3.5 million less he will earn over the next 4 years if he plays out his contract. 

With the $14 million he is already short from not playing last year plus the $3.5 million he is getting payed less over the next 4 years than if he had accepted the Steelers offer he would end up with $17.5 million less by the end of the 4 years.  To put it more simply $70 million - $52.5 million = $17.5 million.

Now about the guaranteed money:

He is making $2 million more ($35 million) guaranteed than the Steelers offer ($33 million) guaranteed. So if he suffers a career ending injury, gets cut, or for some other reason can't play in the early years of his contract with the Jets he made the right choice as he will earn $2 million more from guarantees as compared to if the same thing happened with the Steelers.  However, say he makes it 3 years into his contract and then gets cut he loses money again because he is getting paid less per year than he would have been with the Steelers.  $42 million total earnings based on 3 years with the Steelers  as opposed to $39.375 million with the Jets.

Now let's look at earning the money back he has lost from not playing last year and signing a lower contract from what the Steelers offered:

Again with the above assumptions about playing the full length of the contract Bell will end up with $17.5 less 4 years from now by not accepting the Steelers offer.  

Basically he will have to hope that year off gave him extra years after his current contract where he can still play well enough to get a fairly big new contract. That or hope he can play even longer getting paid at the non-elite level / average level . It depends on his health and how well he ages.  By then he will be 31 years old.  I think in the best case scenario it would take at least 2 years as I don't see a 31 year old RB making $17.5 million a year.  However given his age by then probably closer to 3 years and that's just to break even based on his potential earning from the Steelers offer.  To make more than his potential earning from the Steelers he's probably going to have to hope to play until he is at least 34 years old.

Either way it's still a loss for a few reasons.  For one, he will have to play longer than he may want to. Secondly, consider the year of lost money from the $14 million last year that could have been put in to investments or could be earning interest for a year.

In summary, he may not ever fully recoup what he could have potentially earned had he accepted the Steelers offer last year.  He gambled and ended up leaving a lot of potential earnings on the table.  Also not my I did not include any potential bonuses he may earn and based it on base salary. For example it is reported that his Jets contract has a max value of $61 million.  

I probably messed something up in my post.  Like I said I math is certainly not my strong point  Big Grin

would have sufficed. LOL (Something I learned today. Holding alt and typing 236 on the number pad gives you infinity.)
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Don't go to Vegas with this guy. He gambled big time and stupidly lost a whole year of big checks and is taking less money to leave a contender with a HOF QB and go to a team with zero chance of contending for the foreseeable future. Brilliant! Can't wait to see what happens when he tries dancing around behind that line. What a numb nuts.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 09:05 AM)McC Wrote: Don't go to Vegas with this guy.  He gambled big time and stupidly lost a whole year of big checks and is taking less money to leave a contender with a HOF QB and go to a team with zero chance of contending for the foreseeable future.  Brilliant!  Can't wait to see what happens when he tries dancing around behind that line.  What a numb nuts.

Yup.  We may go from "look at that patience" to "Why the eff is he just standing there while three guys are coming at him?"

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2019, 09:05 AM)McC Wrote: Don't go to Vegas with this guy.  He gambled big time and stupidly lost a whole year of big checks and is taking less money to leave a contender with a HOF QB and go to a team with zero chance of contending for the foreseeable future.  Brilliant!  Can't wait to see what happens when he tries dancing around behind that line.  What a numb nuts.

I'm not so sure said QB isn't a substantial part of why these guys are wanting out of Shitsburgh.....bus tracks on backs are a real thing there....especially after one of his trademark 4 INT games.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 11:55 AM)Wyche Wrote: I'm not so sure said QB isn't a substantial part of why these guys are wanting out of Shitsburgh.....bus tracks on backs are a real thing there....especially after one of his trademark 4 INT games.

So now he can look up at the Patriots for the rest of his career and count the money he lost.  And God forbid I ever stick up for Pig Ben, but if he called out Bell for moronic choices, it's hard to say he was wrong.  And he's also a big part of the reason those guys' careers have been what they've been.  Just watch how far both their numbers go down this year.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 11:55 AM)Wyche Wrote: I'm not so sure said QB isn't a substantial part of why these guys are wanting out of Shitsburgh.....bus tracks on backs are a real thing there....especially after one of his trademark 4 INT games.

Trademark 4 interception games? I just went through all of Ben's games. Out of 15 seasons of playing in the NFL, he played in 237 games and started 235 of those. Ben has only 3 games with 4 or more interceptions.

2006 week 8 vs Oakland Raiders 4 interceptions lost 20-13.
2008 week 8 vs New York Giants 4 interceptions lost 21-14
2017 week 5 vs Jacksonville Jaguars 5 interceptions lost 30-9
Reply/Quote