Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jaguars Primer
Well, after going over all 7 of their games with a fine tooth comb, I can confidently say this is how you beat the Jags:

1. Stop/slow their run game and force Bortles to beat you. (duh)
2. Beat their defense with the run. If you get behind and have to pass, you're toast.

The Titans, Rams and Jets all beat the Jags because they ran it down their throats and slowed Fournette. Nobody has beaten them yet with a big game from their QB. In fact, the Jags have far and away the best pass defense in the league, allowing an abysmal 62.3 passer rating to opponents. For comparison, our defense is the 2nd best in the league, allowing an 81.2 passer rating. On top of this, the Jags are 1st in sacks.

In short, this is a nightmare game - on the road - for Dalton. Especially with this o-line.

However, the Jags are 26th in rush yards allowed and dead last in yards per carry allowed.

Translation: We need to run, run and run some more. It will be interesting to see if our 30th ranked rush offense (both in yards and YPC) can bring anything against the worst rush defense in the league. It's like the very stoppable force against the very movable object.

The good news is that our defense - despite the poor game against old man Gore - is still ranked 11th in yards per carry allowed. They're capable of slowing Fournette, and if they do, they'll eat Bortles alive. So much depends on our run game being able to carry the offense (how often does that ever happen for us?), and giving our defense a breather so they can keep up against Fournette.

Thoughts?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Yeah, this game should have been played on Halloween, because it should scare the crap out of the Bengals. This team is MEAN.. the only team I see that can match the intensity and physicality that these guys play with is the Steelers. We all know what happened there.

Again, we all know who Dalton is by now, but this is the type of game that Romo has been harping on Dalton about: "It's time to make some plays." There comes a time when you just have to become a playmaker and show that you won't back down.. and I still don't see this in our QB. I really want to, because I don't want to be a Dalton hater! Although, passing on that Deshaun Watson pick really sucks right about now..
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 06:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well, after going over all 7 of their games with a fine tooth comb, I can confidently say this is how you beat the Jags:

2. Beat their defense with the run. If you get behind and have to pass, you're toast.

The Titans, Rams and Jets all beat the Jags because they ran it down their throats and slowed Fournette. Nobody has beaten them yet with a big game from their QB. In fact, the Jags have far and away the best pass defense in the league, allowing an abysmal 62.3 passer rating to opponents. For comparison, our defense is the 2nd best in the league, allowing an 81.2 passer rating. On top of this, the Jags are 1st in sacks.

In short, this is a nightmare game - on the road - for Dalton. Especially with this o-line.

However, the Jags are 26th in rush yards allowed and dead last in yards per carry allowed.

Translation: We need to run, run and run some more. It will be interesting to see if our 30th ranked rush offense (both in yards and YPC) can bring anything against the worst rush defense in the league. It's like the very stoppable force against the very movable object.

The good news is that our defense - despite the poor game against old man Gore - is still ranked 11th in yards per carry allowed. They're capable of slowing Fournette, and if they do, they'll eat Bortles alive. So much depends on our run game being able to carry the offense (how often does that ever happen for us?), and giving our defense a breather so they can keep up against Fournette.

Thoughts?

This game may show how smart or not so smart Lazor and Dalton are.

From what I understand, Dalton can go to the line and call for runs or pass plays based on how many defenders are lined up & where.

As you imply, we need to run the ball a lot and Jacksonville may show fronts that make Dalton &/or Lazor start passing too often.

The Bengals need to focus on possessions and staying within a possession or two of Jacksonville & not get pass happy.

May even want to run right into those anti-run fronts more often than they normally would to avoid passing turnovers & sacks.

Then play action can work much better when passing less often. Jag players start expecting runs.

Being down say 12 points is only 2 possessions and abandoning the run when down a possession or two may play into Jacksonville's hands.

Play a Field position game that avoids sacks and turnovers by running the ball 2/3 of the time.

If Lazor or Dalton get away from this formula I think we are toast.
Reply/Quote
Jacksonville.is.going to stack the box and dare Dalton to throw behind his abysmal Oline - we all know how it's going to turn out.
Reply/Quote
This game is a nightmare matchup for the Bengals. All their strengths are our weaknesses. I really am not even sure I want to watch it on Sunday. All it will do is cause me to burst a vein in my forehead.
Reply/Quote
All I know is if Dalton hangs a 100 passer rating, he'll still be called shit for any and every incomplete pass. If he has a poor showing, it will be because he sucks and not because he played an amazing pass defense.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if Bortles has a good game. Our D seems to give up a couple of big plays each game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
i think Hewitt is back full go, that should help. We need a FB/HB for this game. Their cb's are probably the best in the league
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 06:56 PM)thillan Wrote: Yeah, this game should have been played on Halloween, because it should scare the crap out of the Bengals. This team is MEAN.. the only team I see that can match the intensity and physicality that these guys play with is the Steelers. We all know what happened there.

Again, we all know who Dalton is by now, but this is the type of game that Romo has been harping on Dalton about: "It's time to make some plays." There comes a time when you just have to become a playmaker and show that you won't back down.. and I still don't see this in our QB. I really want to, because I don't want to be a Dalton hater! Although, passing on that Deshaun Watson pick really sucks right about now..

Here's how opposing QB's have fared against the Jags:

Savage/Watson: 19/36 for 164 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT (62.7 rating) 10 sacks

Mariota: 15/27 for 215 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT (78.5 rating) 1 sack - The Titans won by outrushing them 179 to 99 and forcing Bortles to throw 34 times (2 picks)

Flacco/Mallet: 14/27 for 64 yards, 1 TD and 2 INTs (39.3 rating) 2 sacks - this stat line was much worse before Mallet threw a junk time TD

McCown: 22/31 for 224 yards, and 1 INT (77.9 rating) 5 sacks - Jets won in OT by out-rushing them 256 to 175

Roethlisberger: 33/55 for 312 yards, and 5 INTs (37.8 rating)

Goff: 11/21 for 124 yards and 1 TD (86.2 rating) 3 sacks - Rams won with a big game by Gurley (116 yards rushing) and limiting Fournette. Fournette did have a 75 yarder, but the Rams kept him to 55 yards on his other 20 carries.

Brisset: 22/37 for 200 yards (74.2 rating) 10 sacks - Junk time inflated these stats

These are some of the ugliest stat lines I've ever seen. They've smothered everyone and rolled up 10 sacks twice!

Whether you believe in Andy or not is irrelevant. It'd be borderline ******** to ask your QB to carry the team in this one. We need our run game to carry the offense for once. There's no shame in Andy handing it off and letting the RB's win a game for us. Other QB's get that all the time. Particularly the other franchise QB's in our division (Ben and Flacco).
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 06:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well, after going over all 7 of their games with a fine tooth comb, I can confidently say this is how you beat the Jags:

Thoughts?
Well, the Colts couldn't stop a run game either...until they ran into ours.

I not only worry how we'll score.  I worry how we'll even move the ball.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 07:23 PM)Beaker Wrote: This game is a nightmare matchup for the Bengals. All their strengths are our weaknesses. I really am not even sure I want to watch it on Sunday. All it will do is cause me to burst a vein in my forehead.

My only thought is that Jax -4.5 and the under 39 is awfully enticing. Bengals might get blanked.
Reply/Quote
I don't think there's any doubt the one and only chance we have to win this game is to run the ball a lot and run it well. I must say I have little to no faith we'll be able to do it.

Our run blocking isn't just bad it's horrifically gawd awful ! If you go back and watch slowed down tape of a running play it's hard to figure out what the line is even trying to do ? They stand straight up at the snap., take steps back or to the side and just sorta attempt to get in the way of the D-line and get shoved right into the line of the RB.

Oh those rare occasions when we do gain positive yardage it's probably mostly been luck running into the weak spot in a defensive stunt.

I think we are witnessing a double whammy failure of epic proportions here. 1. our linemen just aren't that good 2. The technique/scheme they're being taught is a massive failure.

This O-line is probably in the running for the worst of all time. I hope they get it together and pull a rabbit out of their hat. If they do I'll be shocked.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 10:30 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: My only thought is that Jax -4.5 and the under 39 is awfully enticing. Bengals might get blanked.

This is the kind of game that scares the hell out of you. I think it’s up to the D to create a short field for our offense if we stanD a chance. As it was pointed out We Can’t Fall Behind
Reply/Quote

Thoughts?

I was about to start a thread stating the same observation (what is it they say about great minds?).  The bottom line is that in their three losses, they got pounded in the running game.  The Bengals can't abandon the run and need to keep feeding Mixon and Gio.  Maybe even Ross and Malone can get in the mix on end-arounds.

That was, however, before they got Dareus...who is probably itching to show Buffalo what a mistake they made.  

This is the make or break game of the season.  Find a way to win it, and you are still very much alive.  Lose, and the season is over. 
Reply/Quote
Need to play a hard-nosed game. Establish the run and let Mixon get into a rhythm. Throw short passes and keep the chains moving that way. If they start creeping near the line, throw one up-top to AJ or even Ross if he plays.

Limit turnover opportunities and don't give Dalton a lot of time to be sacked.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 08:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Here's how opposing QB's have fared against the Jags:

Savage/Watson: 19/36 for 164 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT (62.7 rating) 10 sacks

Mariota: 15/27 for 215 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT (78.5 rating) 1 sack - The Titans won by outrushing them 179 to 99 and forcing Bortles to throw 34 times (2 picks)

Flacco/Mallet: 14/27 for 64 yards, 1 TD and 2 INTs (39.3 rating) 2 sacks - this stat line was much worse before Mallet threw a junk time TD

McCown: 22/31 for 224 yards, and 1 INT (77.9 rating) 5 sacks - Jets won in OT by out-rushing them 256 to 175

Roethlisberger: 33/55 for 312 yards, and 5 INTs (37.8 rating)

Goff: 11/21 for 124 yards and 1 TD (86.2 rating) 3 sacks - Rams won with a big game by Gurley (116 yards rushing) and limiting Fournette. Fournette did have a 75 yarder, but the Rams kept him to 55 yards on his other 20 carries.

Brisset: 22/37 for 200 yards (74.2 rating) 10 sacks - Junk time inflated these stats

These are some of the ugliest stat lines I've ever seen. They've smothered everyone and rolled up 10 sacks twice!

Whether you believe in Andy or not is irrelevant. It'd be borderline ******** to ask your QB to carry the team in this one. We need our run game to carry the offense for once. There's no shame in Andy handing it off and letting the RB's win a game for us. Other QB's get that all the time. Particularly the other franchise QB's in our division (Ben and Flacco).

I have to say it:  Do you think if Dalton beats them he will get any credit?  Probably not.  And I sure as hell hope he knocks them off and we start a run that makes this season interesting.  I wouldn't bet on it, though.  Marv is still the HC and a complete idiot when it comes to personnel decisions.  
Reply/Quote
We need a strong special teams day if any chance to win. We can't run the ball that ship has sailed against the Colt's.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 11:01 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I have to say it:  Do you think if Dalton beats them he will get any credit?  Probably not.  And I sure as hell hope he knocks them off and we start a run that makes this season interesting.  I wouldn't bet on it, though.  Marv is still the HC and a complete idiot when it comes to personnel decisions.  

We could finish the season on a 9-0 run, win our first playoff game, go to the AFC Championship, Dalton win the MVP throwing for 4,500 yards and 40 TD's. Despite Mike Brown's ineptness and Marvin's bumbling.

And there would be those on here that would say "well, he still has red hair"
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 10:58 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I was about to start a thread stating the same observation (what is it they say about great minds?).  The bottom line is that in their three losses, they got pounded in the running game.  The Bengals can't abandon the run and need to keep feeding Mixon and Gio.  Maybe even Ross and Malone can get in the mix on end-arounds.

That was, however, before they got Dareus...who is probably itching to show Buffalo what a mistake they made.  

This is the make or break game of the season.  Find a way to win it, and you are still very much alive.  Lose, and the season is over. 

As Lapham would say, this is going to be a good old fashioned slobber knocker.

The Jags are winning with old school football, but they're also vulnerable to that type of play.

(11-01-2017, 11:01 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I have to say it:  Do you think if Dalton beats them he will get any credit?  Probably not.  And I sure as hell hope he knocks them off and we start a run that makes this season interesting.  I wouldn't bet on it, though.  Marv is still the HC and a complete idiot when it comes to personnel decisions.  

You know the answer to that. The guy won't win over some unless he wins a championship, and how likely is that with this franchise?
Reply/Quote
Of course the Rams beat them, they have Whit !

Our OL is in for its biggest test yet and do not see us winning this battle.

Could get very ugly for sure, but somehow think the Bengals hang in there and the game comes down to wire.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 10:30 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: My only thought is that Jax -4.5 and the under 39 is awfully enticing. Bengals might get blanked.

Can not argue with this logic though. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote