Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jaguars Primer
Based off what I've seen, I don't think we have a chance. Normally I'll play back, maybe even lean towards us (I did with Pittsburgh). From what I've seen over this season, we are playing RIGHT into Jacksonville's hands. We don't really play well against rough teams, especially teams that EXCEL in the trenches.

We have next to no run game, and Jacksonville, even with the weakness of the run defense, can stack the box and STILL beat us. Marvin has to pull out all stops if we want to remain relevant this year (unleash Ross, figure out how to block people).

I think we'll lose by two possessions

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
Has Vegas come up with the odds yet,usually they are always right.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2017, 02:02 AM)bengalsturntup5532 Wrote: Has Vegas come up with the odds yet,usually they are always right.

Jags by 4. Decent amount, considering the Jags are rarely favored. Here is what CBS Sports posted with the early spread.

"The Jaguars are favored to beat another NFL team by four points, which almost never happens. Since 2009, the Jaguars have only been favored by four or more points a total of seven times, and betting on them doesn't usually end up being a good idea. In those seven games, the Jags have gone 4-3 straight up and 1-6 ATS. The Jaguars will be hosting a Bengals team that they haven't beaten since 2005 (0-4 since then). If you're going to bet anything in this game, you might want to bet the under. The Jags and Bengals have two of the six best defenses in the NFL in terms of yards per game. Not to mention, the Jags defense should only be better this week with the addition of Marcell Dareus from Buffalo. One big thing to keep an eye is whether or not Leonard Fournette plays. Before the Jags' Week 8 bye, Fournette missed Jacksonville's Week 7 game with an ankle injury."

Reply/Quote
The only thing I would add is, don't be afraid to overload the line to help the run game. Heck, a direct snap or two wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. Put 9 guys on the line, split out AJ to draw two defenders, and direct snap to Mixon. Or since Hewitt is back use him as a lead blocker.

Also, if you're having trouble running, screens can be the next best thing. Basically you're talking about a high percentage quick pass with blockers. Sometimes you make a bunch of yards sometimes you don't but if your oline isn't blocking well on those runs up the middle it is certainly a way to mix things up.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2017, 04:45 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: The only thing I would add is, don't be afraid to overload the line to help the run game. Heck, a direct snap or two wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. Put 9 guys on the line, split out AJ to draw two defenders, and direct snap to Mixon. Or since Hewitt is back use him as a lead blocker.

Also, if you're having trouble running, screens can be the next best thing. Basically you're talking about a high percentage quick pass with blockers. Sometimes you make a bunch of yards sometimes you don't but if your oline isn't blocking well on those runs up the middle it is certainly a way to mix things up.

Jaguars do run a lot of man to man, but they're also quick. The speed they have reminds me of Pittsburgh (I think they're quicker). I think they play with the same level of intensity, but will win far more in the trenches. I don't think screens will be effective (they weren't against Pittsburgh).

Reply/Quote
Have to get a lead if we are going to win this game. Cannot let the Jags pin their ears back and go after Dalton.

Cause if they get their chances they will sack Dalton a lot. As Shake said, gonna have to run it and run it a lot then go Play Action.

Short Slants and dropping it off to Mixon and Gio will be key.

Would also like to see some TE Screens to Kroft.
Reply/Quote
I'm just not worried about this game assuming Bengals' defense keeps Fournette in check. Jacksonville is gonna sack Dalton, but as long as he avoids the big turnover, I think Bengals will be in this game with a chance to win in the 4th quarter. That's about all you can ask for on the road in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2017, 06:10 PM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: I'm just not worried about this game assuming Bengals' defense keeps Fournette in check.  Jacksonville is gonna sack Dalton, but as long as he avoids the big turnover, I think Bengals will be in this game with a chance to win in the 4th quarter.  That's about all you can ask for on the road in the NFL.

I give us a puncher's chance. It could snowball really fast if we don't contain Fournette though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
This is one of those games that could flip the season confidence wise if the Bengals take it......
That being said..... The match up is terrifying
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2017, 02:06 AM)Junglejuice Wrote: This is one of those games that could flip the season confidence wise if the Bengals take it......
That being said..... The match up is terrifying

I’d go as far to say that Jacksonville matches up the best against us over any team we have played.

This team could easily blow us out.

Reply/Quote
It's the Jags so you never know what team will show up. I think we have a chance as long as our o line holds up.
Reply/Quote
@OP.
I know the Jaguars run defense has been iffy but thr Bengals lining up and trying to pound it isn't going to work cuz they cant. I'd like to see the Bengals roll with a 3 WR 1TE 1RB set thr entire game spread them out. It's been 2 weeks now of Ross healthy and practicing there is no reason for him not to get some time.

I'd like to see them steal from KC (Copycat league). KC likes to run the option. They will bring Hill on a jet sweep thr back up the gut and Alex has thr option to hold it himself. Smith and Hill force the defender on the edge to stay home instead of penetrating into the backfield. If smith decides to hold onto it snd not eun Hill is open in thr flat for a WR screen.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2017, 06:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well, after going over all 7 of their games with a fine tooth comb, I can confidently say this is how you beat the Jags:

1. Stop/slow their run game and force Bortles to beat you. (duh)

I commented about how the Bengals need to run the ball, now I will comment on the defense:

If they don't put Evans, Tez, and Vigil on the field each snap and have an extra safety in the box (Fej is the best tackler and might be the toughest safety we have) to stuff Fournette, they have zero chance of winning this game.  I don't give pinhead Marv much credit to play such a scheme as the young Rams coach did and pounded Jax.  

Play not to lose (in other words, don't give up any big plays) and just give them 5 to 6 yards a carry and die a slow death when postgame we look and say "how did we only have 15 rushes" because the number of possessions will be greatly reduced.  

If we let Jax get a lead with their rushing attack, "Sacksonville" (cheesy, but I heard it on NFL Network), Andius Daltinus (Ginger that walks upright) will be an endangered species.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2017, 04:45 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: The only thing I would add is, don't be afraid to overload the line to help the run game. Heck, a direct snap or two wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. Put 9 guys on the line, split out AJ to draw two defenders, and direct snap to Mixon. Or since Hewitt is back use him as a lead blocker.

This is actually a pretty good idea, IMHO.  If you are going to try and pound the run, why not take the guy that we don't want running off the field for few plays?   Wildcat just might catch them sleeping personnel-wise and you could go no-huddle so they can't sub.  

I kind of like it, but completely doubt Lazor would put in any time to game plan it since we keep hearing how they just don't have enough prep time.  

It is creative, though.  And if that is Jax weakness, it works to exploit it.  I am not saying the entire game, but I sure like the idea of Mixon doing a read-option wildcat with Gio in the backfield.  
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2017, 02:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Would also like to see some TE Screens to Kroft.

Gets at least 10 yards every time they run it, and I think we have run it once...

One of my favorite plays....safe, high %, effective, and I love watching a puny DB come up to tackle a 260 lb TE.  He doesn't run quite as well after a few of those hits.  

Heck, I would run this play until they stopped it.  I honestly haven't seen it stopped once.  But that would imply coaching skills, and we don't have any of that.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2017, 09:00 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Gets at least 10 yards every time they run it, and I think we have run it once...

One of my favorite plays....safe, high %, effective, and I love watching a puny DB come up to tackle a 260 lb TE.  He doesn't run quite as well after a few of those hits.  

Heck, I would run this play until they stopped it.  I honestly haven't seen it stopped once.  But that would imply coaching skills, and we don't have any of that.

Don't think i have ever seen this play stopped either. Eifert tore teams up in 2015 on this play.

Kroft can do the same.

I think Lazor has coaching skills, Marv just handcuffs him.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2017, 05:21 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I’d go as far to say that Jacksonville matches up the best against us over any team we have played.

This team could easily blow us out.

Eh, the Stealers match up the best against us as they always have our number with Marv at the helm and
him treating them different than any other team. On paper this looks bad for us though no question but as
Cornerblitz said you never know which Jaguar team is going to show up week to week.

We are both similar in this aspect, our O-line just cannot run block.

But then again the Jags are bad at stopping the run and we actually might have a little success against'em.
Reply/Quote
Was listening to CBS radio and the host was raving about betting on the Bengals this week. Mentioned the Jags inconsistency and how the Bengals are 3-2 since the switch to Lazor, with 1 of those losses coming in OT to Aaron Rodgers.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-04-2017, 01:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Was listening to CBS radio and the host was raving about betting on the Bengals this week. Mentioned the Jags inconsistency and how the Bengals are 3-2 since the switch to Lazor, with 1 of those losses coming in OT to Aaron Rodgers.

Interesting stat which flew right by me. I guess he's right? However, we will more than likely lose horribly. I truly fear for Daltons safety this week. Weigh that in with the fact our coaches can't find their way through a 2 stock corn maze? We are toast! 

Reply/Quote