Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jahmyr Gibbs
(04-27-2023, 04:08 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: He’s in play at 28 but I’m leaning towards them trading down or taking Forbes

Forbes will be long gone by 28 IMO.  I think he's going in the 15-20 range.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 04:29 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Short term, this would be an absolutely fantastic selection. He could end up being the key to winning the SB this year or next year.

In the long term, it may end up being a sub par pick since there's very little inherent value in a RB's second contract (and in fact can be somewhat of a trap if you decide to sign them to what you think will be a good deal at the time. See: Joe Mixon). The discount we get for 5 years with Gibbs won't be comparable to discount we'd get for 5 years at CB, DE or DT.

With that said, it's just a tiny bit less valuable than a discounted TE contract, so if we're willing to take Mayer or Kincaid, we may as well take Gibbs, who I think will have a higher impact on our team during that rookie contract. TEs often take 2 to 3 years to break out, at which point that second contract starts looming. A RB, in theory, should be an impact player from day 1 if they were worth a first round pick. They just have a shorter shelf life and you probably shouldn't entertain a big 2nd contract with them.

I get what youre saying and I completely agree with it.  The salary cap and the way then NFL works these days has made me look at the team in a 4 year span.  I used to think about having a guy for 10 years, now the only guy that I truly consider a 10 year player is a franchise QB.

Give me the guy that can help this team win in the big games.  When we've come up short it's usually been for a couple of reasons - O line play and the inability to move the ball.  I don't think there's a tackle that would be a good fit at 28 - but I would be thrilled with Steve Avila or O'Cyrus Torrance.

Gibbs would definitely help this team beat the 2 high looks.  Hell, he very well could play slot if Boyd got hurt.  He's that good in the passing game,
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 05:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Gibbs vision alone makes him better than Mixon, let alone how much quicker, faster and more versatile he is.

And yeah, he isn't a bell cow back, that isn't what we need him for. We need the explosive plays in the passing game from someone 
besides the WR's. This would make teams pay for running the 2 high formation trying to take away our WR's.

Gibbs in 1  Tucker in 2 and Mims in 3.....come stop us Rock On
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 05:38 PM)pulses Wrote: Forbes will be long gone by 28 IMO.  I think he's going in the 15-20 range.

If he was at 180+ I think so.
But I also think those teams picking 20 or earlier are looking for more immediate contributors, and Forbes needs time to bulk up.
He'd get that time with the Bengals.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 05:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If he was at 180+ I think so.
But I also think those teams picking 20 or earlier are looking for more immediate contributors, and Forbes needs time to bulk up.

I think the Pats might take him.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 05:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If he was at 180+ I think so.

If he can play in the SEC at that weight, he can play in the NFL at that weight.  He'll get on the field immediately.  He wasn't 166 during the year at Miss St, so I would imagine he would come into cap around 180.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 05:58 PM)pulses Wrote: I think the Pats might take him.

At 14?
Feels way too early for that.

Are you thinking someone would take Forbes before any of Deonte Banks, Joey Porter Jr, Christian Gonzalez, and Devon Witherspoon?
I'd take any of those guys before Forbes if I'm the Patriots.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 06:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: At 14?

Are you thinking someone would take Forbes before any of Deonte Banks, Joey Porter Jr, Christian Gonzalez, and Devon Witherspoon?

I've just read that the Pats really like Forbes and you know Belichick isn't afraid to pull the trigger.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 06:01 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: If he can play in the SEC at that weight, he can play in the NFL at that weight.  He'll get on the field immediately.  He wasn't 166 during the year at Miss St, so I would imagine he would come into cap around 180.

Oh I know he can play at 180. He was listed at 180 last year whenever they did their weigh-ins for the start of the season.
He can get into the 180-190 range for sure. Question will be how long will it take, and will the team taking him allow him that time to bulk up before throwing him in there.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 06:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Oh I know he can play at 180. He was listed at 180 last year whenever they did their weigh-ins for the start of the season.
He can get into the 180-190 range for sure. Question will be how long will it take, and will the team taking him allow him that time to bulk up before throwing him in there.

I would guess he's already at 180.  I'm betting he cut that weight to run faster at the combine.  With all the passing in this league, I doubt he's there at 28.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 06:15 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I would guess he's already at 180.  I'm betting he cut that weight to run faster at the combine.  With all the passing in this league, I doubt he's there at 28.

You think he dropped down to 166 just about 2 months ago and has already bulked back up to 180?
I feel like that's overly quick, but maybe I'm just used to bulking up via cheeseburgers and pizza haha.
He was only at 170 lbs at Miss St's Pro Day about a month ago, per report.
Quote:At Mississippi State football’s Pro Day on Tuesday, cornerback Emmanuel Forbes’ weight was the focus. It has been a talking point throughout his draft process, particularly after he checked in at 166 pounds during the NFL Scouting Combine in early March – a number he was hoping would be between 170-175.

The number was up to 170 in Starkville, Forbes said.
https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2023/03/28/emmanuel-forbes-weight-mississippi-state-football-pro-day-2023-nfl-draft-jalen-green-randy-charlton/70045653007/
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 06:11 PM)pulses Wrote: I've just read that the Pats really like Forbes and you know Belichick isn't afraid to pull the trigger.

I've been seeing an offensive weapon or DE mostly mocked to the Patriots.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 06:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: At 14?

I could see Forbes going before Porter easily. I can see Forbes, Smith, and Ringo going before Porter actually. It's going to take a heavy press team to take Joey Porter and the league is just going to more zone coverages.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Here's a pipe dream.....Gibbs at 28....Washington drops in the 2nd. The Bengals trade back up offering Jonah and our 3rd. picking Washington and still having our 60th pick and taking someone like that toothless wonder Mauch. who can play IOL and OT. Might have to give up more to move up like a 5th rounder too IDK. Pick Collinsworth's guy in the 6th Anthony Johnson Jr. out of Iowa State. See who is left in the 4th.
Reply/Quote
I have drooled over Gibbs since his transfer from GT to Bama. But this scenario below would be a dream come true!

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-nfl-mock-draft-pff-analysts-seven-rounds-four-qbs

Quote:25. CINCINNATI BENGALS (VIA NYG): RB BIJAN ROBINSON, TEXAS
The Bengals send Pick Nos. 28 and 163 to the Giants to move past the Cowboys and Bills and draft Robinson. This would allow Cincinnati to cut Joe Mixon and build out one of the NFL's most exciting offenses for the 2023 season.
Tiger
[Image: Pics-Art-10-07-11-00-57-1.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 05:38 PM)pulses Wrote: Forbes will be long gone by 28 IMO.  I think he's going in the 15-20 range.

When it gets the day of there’s about 40 guys going in round 1 LOL
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Forbes reminds me some of the honey badger, just a baller who’s size won’t limit him since he’s such a good play maker. I’d be happy with that pick also but Gibbs is the more exciting pick. He could easily catch 70-90 balls out of the backfield yearly.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 06:11 PM)pulses Wrote: I've just read that the Pats really like Forbes and you know Belichick isn't afraid to pull the trigger.

That sounds like a classic Bill Belichick smoke screen if I ever read one.   Wink

Everyone knows that the Pats are going DL or major offensive playmaker.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Gibbs train is loading up, all aboard for pickup in a few hours !!!!
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 08:39 PM)Justin1462 Wrote: Gibbs train is loading up, all aboard for pickup in a few hours !!!!

I've been driving that train since December lol. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote