Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jake Browning
His general decision making was 10 times better than Allen. Allen has 6 years in the league and has terrible play making ability if pressured.

I believe the sack he got the concussion he turned back in to the lineman and got crushed (he could have ran 10 yards right up the middle). Browning comes in and the same situation and he throws the ball at the feet on Moss to avoid the sack.

I just saw a much better back up in Browning personally.
Reply/Quote
I noticed Brandon Allen staring down receivers. We didn't get burned for it but also the fact that he was statue-esque back there didn't help. Browning was more mobile, had better pocket presence (OK there is one play where he backed up instead of climbing the pocket, resulting in a sack) and had a howitzer for an arm. I look forward to seeing him in the rest of pre-season and I hope the team really does evaluate him as a being in a competition for that number two spot.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I thought Browning looked good overall.Consistant holding penalties on the OL worked against him.Impressed with his pocket presence.Need to see more.Not at all impressed with Allen.Never was.

Would also like to see more of Drew Plitt.I think he earned himself another look,based on that TD drive he put together toward the end of the game.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 02:09 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I thought Browning looked good overall.Consistant holding penalties on the OL worked against him.Impressed with his pocket presence.Need to see more.Not at all impressed with Allen.Never was.

Would also like to see more of Drew Plitt.I think he earned himself another look,based on that TD drive he put together toward the end of the game.

Brandon Allen may know the offense better but he’s not a playmaker. I think that the staff needs to be very serious in where they go now
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Browning and Plitt looked better than Allen a 6-year vet.

Browning throws well on the run has decent pocket presence and feels the pressure fairly well he could be much better with more snaps and the coaches putting in time with him. I think Plitt could be a practice squad guy at the least.

But we will release both and keep Allen as a 2nd string QB this year which is sad.
Reply/Quote
Browning is a 3rd string guy just like Allen.

I am not comfortable with either as the guy whose supposed to help our season if Burrow goes down. If any team needed a solid backup it’s us. If our offense was trash outside of Burrow i honestly wouldn’t care. But our offense should work with ANY QB that’s good so id feel more comfortable with a more solid backup.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Browning and Plitt both look like players who can be coached up into good QBs over time. Both flashed good attributes and the offense looked sharper under then than under Allen.

Burrow is obviously the franchise but remember coaching up good QBs behind the star is both good insurance and provides good trade bait in the future.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 05:19 PM)Joelist Wrote: Browning and Plitt both look like players who can be coached up into good QBs over time. Both flashed good attributes and the offense looked sharper under then than under Allen.

Burrow is obviously the franchise but remember coaching up good QBs behind the star is both good insurance and provides good trade bait in the future.

If this is the case, do we dare cut Allen in favor of Browning with Plitt on the PS?  
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 07:09 PM)phil413 Wrote: If this is the case, do we dare cut Allen in favor of Browning with Plitt on the PS?  

Allen offers very little. Idk if he provides anything to Burrow, but we don’t see it, if he does. I’d go with a Browning..
Reply/Quote
I was shocked that they re-signed Allen. I thought for sure that they had seen enough to move on from him. I called it after the draft that they made a mistake not upgrading the QB room in FA or the draft. This isn't going from Dalton to McCarron . . . this is going from one of the best in the league to a guy that no other NFL team would have in camp. I doubt he could make a CFL roster, let alone be a starter. If the Bengals aren't 32nd in the league in backup QB ratings, I'd hate to see who's worse.

I don't think Browning is that good, I've seen enough to know that the Bengals stand a better chance of winning with him in the game over Allen. He's that bad.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Browning > Allen

Pritt > Allen

My Aunt > Allen

[ ] > Allen

( [] = for the purpose of inserting other seemingly ridiculous options that …. well…. aren’t that ridiculous)
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2022, 07:52 AM)Whacked Wrote: Browning > Allen  

Pritt > Allen

My Aunt  > Allen

[    ]  >  Allen

( [] = for the purpose of inserting other seemingly ridiculous options that …. well…. aren’t that ridiculous)
Insert me. I'm ONLY 63 with garbage legs and I'm not afraid of getting hit. I've been beat up by professionals!  (a few too many times) So nobody other than perhaps my wife wants to see me play QB and I kind of doubt she does either especially after being in the hospital when I woke up after emergency surgery calling the doctors MONSTERS!  LOL
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Ahh...typical preseason where 3rd stringers go against 3rd and 4th stringers and shine.

Allen is nothing special.

Remember Jake D? Could throw the ball a mile. Cut here. Has been on other teams...and not produced.
Reply/Quote