Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jake Dolegala has made the 53
(08-31-2019, 06:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Up until what last 12 years or so nearly every NFL team kept 3 QB's, some still do. You're rolling the dice a bit in only keeping 2.

Who knows what they've got in mind moving forward ? But I'm not so sure they're gonna keep an UDFA on the roster as trade bait ? Trades in the NFL are like hens teeth.

I checked this a week or so ago and was surprised to find that a number of teams keep 3 QBs on the 53. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Love watching the kid play. Love the #7 on him.

I think, next season he could beat out Finley for the #1 spot if the Bengals do not extend Dalton
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 03:50 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I think the thing i like best is, Taylor played QB at Nebraska and he's coached under McVay and his system and was right there as Goff developed. You would think that he would have a type of guy that he wants for his offense and he's not going to just keep somoene in there because they're 'capable' and safe. 

This has been an offensive-leaning league for several years now and Marv just never latched onto that way of thinking. He was always stuck in running, defense and field position. 

I'm looking forward to seeing a more progressive system that looks like a typical NFL offense of this day--not days gone by. 

Yep, and....this can't be stated enough....he kept Van Pelt. According to what I've heard and read, he has REALLY helped all of our QBs with their footwork. From what Lap and Hoard were saying, Van Pelt's work is what transformed Finley so quickly from his poor OTAs, and Dolegala really praised him in his pregame interview.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 02:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Honestly I haven't understood all the love this Dolegala guy has got.

He’s not Andy Dalton. You have no idea — well, maybe you do — how many Bengals fans want to dump Andy Dalton and start over with two completely unproven rookies.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 04:32 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Holding the clipboard as back-up QB?

You're confusing most important with most loved. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
In 1.5 preseason games, while getting very few reps in training camp behind Dalton, Driskell, and Finley, Dolegala attempted 53 passes, completing 37 of them for 347 yards (6.5 avg) and a 69.8% completion rate. He threw 2 TDs (3 if the rules didn't suck), and 0 interceptions. He finished the preseason with a QB rating of 100.1.

While showing off a cannon for an arm, he also showed the ability to put some touch on his passes.

He still has alot to learn, but with Van Pelt, Taylor, and others, he's in good hands. I think he has the potential to be a successful starting QB in the NFL.

It's easy to see why they kept him on the 53. But he has some competition to become Dalton's heir apparent (I'm not projecting when that might happen.)

Ryan Finley appeared in 3 preseason games, completing 47 of 64 passes for 414 yards (also a 6.5 avg) and a 73.4% completion rate. He threw 3 TDs, had one INT, and had a QB rating of 99.3.

If Dalton goes down this year, I feel better about our chances of winning games than I did with Driskell, AJM, or any of our other backups in recent memory.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
Can we go ahead and get a {All things Jake Dolegala} thread going ahead of time?

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 03:27 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Can we go ahead and get a {All things Jake Dolegala} thread going ahead of time?

Only if we can have an {All things Ryan Finley} to go along with it.

Finley is the next Kenny Anderson.

Dolegala is the next Boomer.

Who will be the first to topple Jar Jar Dalton? 

By the way, I didn't post them, but Dalton's stats were the worst of our 3 remaining QBs during the pre-season. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 03:20 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Finley is more pro-ready now, but Dolegala has stronger upside with his size and arm strength.  Another season or two with this coaching staff and I'm curious to see what he's got.

I like it. Haven't been able to watch any of the Preseason games so this is nice to hear.

(08-31-2019, 03:25 PM)Whatever Wrote: He looks good considering he got very limited practice reps.  A big thing with backup QB's is they basically have to come in with limited preparation and produce.  He also has plus physical traits to develop with his size and arm strength.  Obviously, there's a slim chance he's the next Kurt Warner or Tony Romo, but he's shown enough positives to develop him and see if he can reach that level.

Alright. Hopefully Van Pelt can work with Dolegala and turn him into something special.

Sure helps when you are 6'7" and can see over the O-line and you have a big arm.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 03:41 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Big guy, big arm. Already has pretty good footwork. He looks to have a lot to work with. Coming from an FCS school, and with very little help around him, he looks pretty good out there--though we're talking about 3rd and 4th string--against guys that were still some of the better players from a lot of bigtime college programs. 

He certainly didn't look out of place or overwhelmed. 

Added bonus; he has Boomers old number. Big Grin

This is some good stuff, starting to feel a little Dolegala hype.  Smirk 

(08-31-2019, 03:50 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I think the thing i like best is, Taylor played QB at Nebraska and he's coached under McVay and his system and was right there as Goff developed. You would think that he would have a type of guy that he wants for his offense and he's not going to just keep somoene in there because they're 'capable' and safe. 

This has been an offensive-leaning league for several years now and Marv just never latched onto that way of thinking. He was always stuck in running, defense and field position. 

I'm looking forward to seeing a more progressive system that looks like a typical NFL offense of this day--not days gone by. 

Spot on about Taylor and Marv. This is what I like the best as well. Complete opposites.

(08-31-2019, 04:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's not just the arm.  Jake has the poise, field awareness and other intangibles that most good QBs possess.  With our coach being a former QB, and QB coach, he likely sees other little nuances that we do not.  Not to mention, the dude is huge!  6'7", with a strong arm, and can move a bit.  This guy could very well develop into another "Big Ben" type of QB.

Wow, want to see more of Dolegala now Sunset. Gotta go check this guys highlights out.

Just thought he had a weird name and people thought it was funny. Guess not. Sounds like a real talent.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 03:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is some good stuff, starting to feel a little Dolegala hype.  Smirk 

Spot on about Taylor and Marv. This is what I like the best as well. Complete opposites.

Wow, want to see more of Dolegala now Sunset. Gotta go check this guys highlights out.

Just thought he had a weird name and people thought it was funny. Guess not. Sounds like a real talent.

He's definitely going to take some developmental time, coming from a small school, but I think the raw material is good for working with.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 03:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He's definitely going to take some developmental time, coming from a small school, but I think the raw material is good for working with.

Just happy he isn't all hype, been getting tired of this every year with people hating on our starter.

But I do like Finley and it is nice to hear that our other backup has some tools to work with.

Van Pelt is a good QB coach too, so anything is possible.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 03:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is some good stuff, starting to feel a little Dolegala hype.  Smirk 

Both Finley and Dolegala have shown promise. It's going to be interesting moving forward seeing if one or the other or both turn into anything.

At a minimum I feel better about our backup QB's than I have in quite sometime.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 03:47 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Both Finley and Dolegala have shown promise. It's going to be interesting moving forward seeing if one or the other or both turn into anything.

At a minimum I feel better about our backup QB's than I have in quite sometime.

Same here brother.

Loved watching Finley move the pocket. This is a rare quality in QB's and something Dalton is not the best at.

Not hating on Dalton but it is the truth. Nice hearing about Dolegala's strengths as i have not seen much of him.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 03:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just happy he isn't all hype, been getting tired of this every year with people hating on our starter.

But I do like Finley and it is nice to hear that our other backup has some tools to work with.

Van Pelt is a good QB coach too, so anything is possible.

Yeah, I was a little worried about Finley, with all of the negative reports that were coming from camp.  However, when the games began, he looked really calm and comfortable in the pocket.  Not sure that I'd like to see Finley as our starter any time soon, but if the need should arise, I think we'd be in better shape with him that we were with Driskel last year.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 04:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, I was a little worried about Finley, with all of the negative reports that were coming from camp.  However, when the games began, he looked really calm and comfortable in the pocket.  Not sure that I'd like to see Finley as our starter any time soon, but if the need should arise, I think we'd be in better shape with him that we were with Driskel last year.

Think so too, Finley seems to be a gamer.

When the lights come on he plays well. Don't care how he practices.

Something I would like to see from Dalton some more honestly. Again, not hating on Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2019, 08:39 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I checked this a week or so ago and was surprised to find that a number of teams keep 3 QBs on the 53. 

Do you have a list of QB3s and their experience and draft status?

I'm guessing not many of them will be undrafted rookies.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2019, 07:51 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: Do you have a list of QB3s and their experience and draft status?

I'm guessing not many of them will be undrafted rookies.

True. Last year, only Tim Boyle of the Packers was an undrafted rookie that made the 53 on opening day. Here's the complete list. 
https://www.hogshaven.com/2018/12/26/18152705/the-5-oclock-club-how-many-teams-had-a-3rd-qb-on-53-or-practice-squad-this-season

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2019, 03:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He's definitely going to take some developmental time, coming from a small school, but I think the raw material is good for working with.

Who else came from a small school...… you know his name, we all love him..... Kenny Anderson!!!
Reply/Quote