Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jake Fisher-converting to TE
(03-02-2019, 04:59 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I haven't seen much about that prospect.

I think we have similar strategies though. I will say that RT is VERY THIN in free agency. I think there's like a 75% chance our 1st Round pick is a Tackle.

Now, we have to sign Jordan Hicks or LJ Fort at LB. But we still need 2 LB's.

Check out Hockenson Pistons, dude could be amazing. Crazy athlete with great hands and blocks great.

Cody Ford i think is the most likely though if White is gone. Hearing about the Combine it sounds like there will be lots of talented Lineman in the early 2nd round. Might be the best route to go. Hicks, Fort, KJ Wright or Kwon in FA along with a Lineman and it is all open. We pretty much can do whatever afterwards.
Reply/Quote
Well, since no one else brought it up... Dennis Roland 2.0? LOL
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 02:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I might be in the minority but i always liked Fish and i hope he succeeds in this fashion, he may not be an ideal OT but he is very versatile and he can catch. He would be one hell of a blocking TE being as he has had to block as an OT so much. The heart problem has kept me from judging his play on the field. Who can say how good he could of been without it?

I just hope the heart problem is behind him. He will have to run a lot more as a TE.

I completely agree.

I think at 260s he could have value as an HB or TE. But at 275, I'm not so sure.
Reply/Quote
Jake started out as a TE. Hope he makes it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 04:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The problem with it is it basically signals he's going to block. He's not going to be a viable pass catching threat and he'd likely be easy for a LB to cover because he's really slow. Even it 270 he'd be slow.

He just needs to be fast enough to get to a spot and box out.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 04:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The problem with it is it basically signals he's going to block. He's not going to be a viable pass catching threat and he'd likely be easy for a LB to cover because he's really slow. Even it 270 he'd be slow.

Well, it really doesn't take a lot of speed, in order to be a good blocker, or to run 5 yd. outs or slants. and to find an open spot when the QB is in trouble.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNYJWHAYiWo&feature=player_embedded

Remember this play? Jake Fisher looks good at tight end to me!
Reply/Quote
Doesn’t this fact illustrate how horrible Paul Alexander was as a line coach? Both picks that he lobbied heavily for are time busts. This team is suffering the impact of listening to that moron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 09:03 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Doesn’t this fact illustrate how horrible Paul Alexander was as a line coach?  Both picks that he lobbied heavily for are  time busts.  This team is suffering the impact of listening to that moron

Paul Alexander needed to pick linemen who could move a piano, not play a piano.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 09:03 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Doesn’t this fact illustrate how horrible Paul Alexander was as a line coach?  Both picks that he lobbied heavily for are  time busts.  This team is suffering the impact of listening to that moron

No, I'm afraid that PA gets a pass on Jake Fisher.  He was actually showing signs of being productive, prior to the heart issue.  He may never have developed into an All-Pro, but I always felt like he had the ability to be at least a solid starter.  I'm sure the move to lose weight and try being a TE has as much to do with his general health issues as anything.

But, as for Ogbuehi, Bodine, and several others that never caught their stride, yes, all on Paul Alexander.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Er, why are people acting like he can catch in the NFL? He was thrown the ball five times in his rookie season, he caught only one of those passes. He got 31 yards because nobody was even around him. He was as big a bust as a "receiving lineman" as he was a blocking one.
Reply/Quote
Fisher is a free agent. I wanted to point that out.

Changing positions after your rookie contact up isn't a formula for longevity.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 04:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Do we know he can catch?

Some of the TE's we put out there like Lengel were smaller and really weren't good receivers.

Lengel is anything but small.... 6-7 265..
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2019, 12:33 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Lengel is anything but small.... 6-7 265..

He's not 280 like Fisher...but he is big.

Lengel is the type of TE Fisher will likely be.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 02:33 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: He'd just let the ball go through his hands like he let defensive ends go through his body. 
Hilarious
Reply/Quote
So then he will move to tight end and suddenly be a great blocker? I wish him well, though. Thought Obeuhi, would bust fairly early, but held out hope for Fisher for awhile.

The destruction of our offensive line started with the senseless losses of Whitworth and Zeitler, and followed with the double bust of Ced and Fisher.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 04:36 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Do we know he can catch?

Some of the TE's we put out there like Lengel were smaller and really weren't good receivers.

From what I've seen, his hands are at least as good as those of John Ross.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I wish him luck

I could see him being a 3rd TE if his health holds out getting a target here and there in passing game.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 09:40 PM)Older Than You Too Wrote: Er, why are people acting like he can catch in the NFL? He was thrown the ball five times in his rookie season, he caught only one of those passes. He got 31 yards because nobody was even around him. He was as big a bust as a "receiving lineman" as he was a blocking one.

Yep...and if I recall correctly, a few of those just slapped right off his hands. I guess he'd have some value as a free extra lineman that wouldn't have to report as an eligible receiver, but whenever he checked in it would pretty much telegraph our intentions if he has no real receiving ability. As to the heart issue, no one here wishes the guy ill will. It was just a bad draft pick.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2019, 03:27 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: Maybe this explains the positive comments Turner has for Hart. His options are a busted 1st rounder, a guy dropping weight to play TE or a 300lb tackle in Hart. Even if he is not a good one he must look like Munoz next to OG and the future overside Gronk.

Hart is not a Bengal.  He is a free agent.
Reply/Quote