Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jake Fisher with some talkies
Jake Fisher preseason game one:

First step is back not direct down the line. Doesn't give himself the edge to usurp the block from Hopkins. Gotta keep working to get his same foot to the defenders same shoulder.

Does a good job getting out on the screen but the DBs run wide and Boyd gets both doesn't recognize and move up field.

Solid wash down block but again you want to see him keep working around and get that seal block.

Hands shoot wide and open the chest. Gets lucky he's got the hand strength to hang on just long enough. Not a play you can expect to replicate.

This run starts incredibly well. But he doesn't keep his leverage and the DL disengages.

First step is a false step (basic put up put down) and gets no depth or angle on the DL. But Fisher remains calm and works back into a good position staying square.

Great rep from Fisher here. Sets, gets his hands ready and delivers an upward blow. Begins to reset his hands and win the rep.

Fisher washes the DL wide here. Fisher keeps his hand on the inside rush until Hopkins gets back over then takes the edge.

Very slight difference in how the two OTs approach this. Ced slightly turns his hips and the DE attacks. Fisher keeps his hips closed and Spence has to run way behind the play. It doesn't impact on this play, but it sets the tone for future issues.

This time he gets same foot same shoulder and is able to seal the DL off and if needed, the cut back would be there if he sticks a little harder to it.

This is a problem he had last year but it's the first time it shows up in this game: Weight shifts to his back leg. And that allows the DE to shove him and get back inside.

Same play, you can see how he puts the weight outside and the DE feels it and attacks inside.

Great twist pick up here by Fisher and Hopkins. Feel it and call it.

Great rep. Watch how his hands are inside and pushing up. Bows his back and stops the rush.

In this game you see that Fisher has been able to cut down on his technique issues from last year.
Kept his weight on the inside much better than any point in time last year, only having it be an issue once.
He's showing marked improvement with hand placement in the pass game and being able to reset his hands.

The lack of tenacity in the run game is somewhat frustrating as he showed more of it in college and Im not sure where it went.

Overall, this is a more optimistic performance for me than Ced's game but we aren't out of the woods yet.
You need to keep seeing him work on eliminating the occasional slopfest rep. Every so often isn't a killer, it just happens and while it's an improvement, in a real game these lapses will be brutal and could stall big drives.
Reply/Quote
Told ya man night and day. Also Fisher and Hopkins look really good side by side.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 01:15 AM)Synric Wrote: Told ya man night and day. Also Fisher and Hopkins look really good side by side.

Rewatching and noticing some of Trey I picked up on some things that hopefully get ironed out. Mostly lack of experience things. Communication errors, expecting help when none is coming etc. 
He's still able to make some great blocks though. 
Reply/Quote
You can see Gholston starts to get irritated with fisher too and starts jamming him under the face mask to push his head up and away to disengage.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I am happy to see both are tackles are finally playing in their right positions and getting the needed reps there.

Cedric is pretty much a freshman at LT, has not played much live there.. hardly any in last years preseason.. Fisher got moved around way too much and again was not given the time to develop.  We are talking about not much more than rookies when it comes to real live reps especially for Cedric.. it takes time for a lot of lineman to develop... to expect them to play at the level of  veterans is probably not realistic with the lack of reps etc. but we need to see improvement as they get more reps.. and I saw improvement in the 1st preseason game.. both have improved.. that is a positive not a negative.. but they have to get better so lets hope they continue upward as we get ready to face KC.. Also Tampa Bay has a solid Dline so was a good early test for them both...
Reply/Quote
Fisher has improved, and thanks for the post, really insightful and proves what people can see when just watching the game full speed. Like you say needs a bit more work but definitely nice progress. If Only Ced had the same level of progress.
Reply/Quote
Great work again Royle. I am definitely more enthused with Fisher's development. He seems to be getting it.  And hey....he can also always be that tackle eligible that can actually do damage in the passing game...lol.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I have really enjoyed your two threads with video. It is very helpful to see and very insightful.

Keep it up! :andy:
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 01:10 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Jake Fisher preseason game one:

First step is back not direct down the line. Doesn't give himself the edge to usurp the block from Hopkins. Gotta keep working to get his same foot to the defenders same shoulder.

Does a good job getting out on the screen but the DBs run wide and Boyd gets both doesn't recognize and move up field.

Solid wash down block but again you want to see him keep working around and get that seal block.

Hands shoot wide and open the chest. Gets lucky he's got the hand strength to hang on just long enough. Not a play you can expect to replicate.

This run starts incredibly well. But he doesn't keep his leverage and the DL disengages.

First step is a false step (basic put up put down) and gets no depth or angle on the DL. But Fisher remains calm and works back into a good position staying square.

Great rep from Fisher here. Sets, gets his hands ready and delivers an upward blow. Begins to reset his hands and win the rep.

Fisher washes the DL wide here. Fisher keeps his hand on the inside rush until Hopkins gets back over then takes the edge.

Very slight difference in how the two OTs approach this. Ced slightly turns his hips and the DE attacks. Fisher keeps his hips closed and Spence has to run way behind the play. It doesn't impact on this play, but it sets the tone for future issues.

This time he gets same foot same shoulder and is able to seal the DL off and if needed, the cut back would be there if he sticks a little harder to it.

This is a problem he had last year but it's the first time it shows up in this game: Weight shifts to his back leg. And that allows the DE to shove him and get back inside.

Same play, you can see how he puts the weight outside and the DE feels it and attacks inside.

Great twist pick up here by Fisher and Hopkins. Feel it and call it.

Great rep. Watch how his hands are inside and pushing up. Bows his back and stops the rush.

In this game you see that Fisher has been able to cut down on his technique issues from last year.
Kept his weight on the inside much better than any point in time last year, only having it be an issue once.
He's showing marked improvement with hand placement in the pass game and being able to reset his hands.

The lack of tenacity in the run game is somewhat frustrating as he showed more of it in college and Im not sure where it went.

Overall, this is a more optimistic performance for me than Ced's game but we aren't out of the woods yet.
You need to keep seeing him work on eliminating the occasional slopfest rep. Every so often isn't a killer, it just happens and while it's an improvement, in a real game these lapses will be brutal and could stall big drives.

TY for the detailed look and analysis. I heard our OL was abused by our defense the past 2 days which is great to hear defense stepping up pressure, but scares the heck out of me that our entire OL needs major work, so much so it will derail our season. I will remain optimistic, but worried.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Good stuff, Royale. Would also like to add that I will eat some crow on Bodine. After watching these videos, he's not as bad as we think he is. Not great, but certainly not terrible. Maybe we should wait for the double a gap blitz to further debate this?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 08:55 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: TY for the detailed look and analysis. I heard our OL was abused by our defense the past 2 days which is great to hear defense stepping up pressure, but scares the heck out of me that our entire OL needs major work, so much so it will derail our season. I will remain optimistic, but worried.

It's practice, the best place to do this. And I hope they continue to work to get each other better. It actually makes me feel better to have a good look with so many good defensive athletes if anything. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 08:55 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: TY for the detailed look and analysis. I heard our OL was abused by our defense the past 2 days which is great to hear defense stepping up pressure, but scares the heck out of me that our entire OL needs major work, so much so it will derail our season. I will remain optimistic, but worried.

Exactly. Is the DL that good or is the OL that bad? I'm leaning more towards the latter, but that's what the remaining preseason games are for I guess.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 07:31 AM)Wyche Wrote: Great work again Royle. I am definitely more enthused with Fisher's development. He seems to be getting it.  And hey....he can also always be that tackle eligible that can actually do damage in the passing game...lol.

[Image: GYI0062794385.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I watched the entire game again last night and saw a lot of what has been said here. Late getting hands out or too wide. Fisher looks bigger and stronger and hopefully will keep getting better. Ced, needs work on protection but I think his run blocking was good. I only remember the second run of Hill's in the first series where Ced made a hole and then turned back into the hole only to get in Hill's way instead finding the next level. If he had it would have been a huge gain.
Reply/Quote
Well on the bright side, it looks like we'll be improved at RT this year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 11:58 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well on the bright side, it looks like we'll be improved at RT this year.

[Image: tumblr_mqwtz0NZp51r5zq6ao3_400.gif]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 11:33 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: [Image: GYI0062794385.jpg]

What's up with the TRex arms? 

Bad form. Ninja

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 12:44 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: What's up with the TRex arms? 

Bad form. Ninja

Once you hit about 320 the arms don't always straight up
Reply/Quote
I definitely feel better about our right side than our left side.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-16-2017, 12:44 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: What's up with the TRex arms? 

Bad form. Ninja

Shoulda worn his WR shoulder pads.

Love the work RRL.  

Man if we just had Whit for one more year........ 
Reply/Quote