Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jalen Carter facing charges
https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/01/us/jalen-carter-crash-chandler-lecroy-devin-willock/index.html

I don't know if this is the best forum for the news. Mods, feel free to mod if needed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Don't think I could draft him if I were a GM now.

Driving in oncoming lanes at 100mph+ (possibly drunk), getting people killed, and then fleeing the scene and lying to police about it later? That pretty much makes a guy undraftable in my eyes, regardless of how talented he is or how far he falls.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 01:48 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Don't think I could draft him if I were a GM now.

Driving in oncoming lanes at 100mph+ (possibly drunk), getting people killed, and then fleeing the scene and lying to police about it later? That pretty much makes a guy undraftable in my eyes, regardless of how talented he is or how far he falls.

Agreed. Don’t see how a team would want a guy like this.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 01:48 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Don't think I could draft him if I were a GM now.

unfortunately in the NFL Talent trumps everything.    Since hes leaving college for the NFL where does he face punishment?  Does the NFL punish players for things that happened in college?
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 02:22 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: unfortunately in the NFL Talent trumps everything.    Since hes leaving college for the NFL where does he face punishment?  Does the NFL punish players for things that happened in college?

Prison. Likely 18 months at least if he was intoxicated. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 02:35 PM)Synric Wrote: Prison. Likely 18 months at least if he was intoxicated. 

Without his presence at the scene of the crash and his ability to not link himself to the crash until over a month later, I imagine it would be very difficult to prove he was drunk. 

If he is just charged with reckless driving and racing, I wouldn't be surprised if he were able to avoid prison time.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 02:35 PM)Synric Wrote: Prison. Likely 18 months at least if he was intoxicated. 

I figure his lawyer will work out a plea deal with no jail time and a ton of public service work.  
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 03:13 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Without his presence at the scene of the crash and his ability to not link himself to the crash until over a month later, I imagine it would be very difficult to prove he was drunk. 

If he is just charged with reckless driving and racing, I wouldn't be surprised if he were able to avoid prison time.

(03-01-2023, 03:25 PM)Whatever Wrote: I figure his lawyer will work out a plea deal with no jail time and a ton of public service work.  

I think the "racing" part might make him partly reliable for the two deaths. That's what I was mostly considering. It doesn't look like that is part of the charges yet but that is something to consider if you are looking to draft him.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
He did not have his scheduled media event today in Indy.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 03:48 PM)Goalpost Wrote: He did not have his scheduled media event today in Indy.

Now you know why

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 03:13 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Without his presence at the scene of the crash and his ability to not link himself to the crash until over a month later, I imagine it would be very difficult to prove he was drunk. 

It'll be interesting if this goes to trial, when they pull the phone records from that hour after he fled the scene.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 03:41 PM)Synric Wrote: I think the "racing" part might make him partly reliable for the two deaths. That's what I was mostly considering. It doesn't look like that is part of the charges yet but that is something to consider if you are looking to draft him.

If they can't prove DUI, it looks like misdemeanor vehicular homicide under Georgia law.  That's maximum 1 year in county per fatality.  Doubtful that the judge will go for jail time for a first offense.  Also, I would expect the University to exert some pressure on Carter's:behalf.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 02:04 PM)WhoDeyK Wrote: Agreed. Don’t see how a team would want a guy like this.

Bank on it. 

He might slip some, but he'll get taken before we pick. Assuming he he wasn't the direct cause of the wreck. If they were racing & she crashed, I think he gets picked. If he caused her to crash and is facing some kind of negligent/vehicular homicide charge, then it is whole different ballgame. 

But a misdemeanor? No. 

Now, if I'm Chicago, I am not trading down to 4 anymore. I don't want my top pick turning into Carter. He won't go #1 or top 4 anymore. 
Reply/Quote
The fact that ue lied & left the scene do not work in his favor, though.

A coward, for sure.
Reply/Quote
He'll slip to the Squealers at 17
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 04:48 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: The fact that ue lied & left the scene do not work in his favor, though.

A coward, for sure.

Yep

I'm in no way a legal authority but leaving the scene is a big charge in itself. He may be in some trouble? And sounds like rightfully so.
Reply/Quote

but now there is also interfering with the investigation if proven he lied.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 05:09 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

I'm in no way a legal authority but leaving the scene is a big charge in itself. He may be in some trouble? And sounds like rightfully so.

Agreed, that is why I mentioned earlier that it'll be interesting to see who he was on the phone with during that time window between when he fled the scene and returned.  Purely speculating, but I'm sure it had to be panic calls to his agent, legal advisor, family, etc.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 05:09 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

From a legal standpoint, fleeing the scene only applies if Carter struck or was struck by the other vehicle.  The police have described it as a single car accident, so fleeing the scene isn't applicable.
Reply/Quote
Reminds me of the drama surrounding our own La'el Collins around draft time.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote