Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jalen Hurd??
I assume this guy is finished.  I can't find any current news about him.  Thought some of you who were more on top of all the free agents might have seen something.

Hurd is a 6'4", 225 WR.  Niners took him with the 3rd pick of the third round in '19.  Placed on IR every year '19-'21.

He is not very fast (4.65 forty), but he is a versatile athlete.  He started his college career as a 5 star RB at Tennessee.  His first two seasons he lit it up with over 2500 yards from scrimmage and 21 tds.  His sophomore season he was #4 in the SEC with 1285 rushing yards.

He suffered a concussion his junior season and wanted to switch to WR.  Vol coaches did not agree so he transferred to Baylor.  In '18 he finished #6 in the Big 12 in receptions (69) and #10 in receiving yards (946).

Never thought he would be a big star in the NFL because he is not a real "quick-twitch" athlete.  He is not great in-and-out of his cuts. He is not going to get a lot of separation running routes.  

But he is a big target with decent hands. And he is a smooth runner with the ball in his hands. And still just 26.
Reply/Quote
I have to admit, I've never heard of this dude. I know some on the boards have suggested the Bengals might still bring in a FA WR. I won't dismiss the idea, but I do wonder if the organization is hoping one of the UDFAs such as Heiligh, Lassiter II, Pryor, or Sorenson emerges as worthy of making the roster.

I'll keep on rooting for Sorenson.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sounds like an Auden Tate replacement. Could be better YAC than Tate though.
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 08:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I assume this guy is finished.  I can't find any current news about him.  Thought some of you who were more on top of all the free agents might have seen something.

Hurd is a 6'4", 225 WR.  Niners took him with the 3rd pick of the third round in '19.  Placed on IR every year '19-'21.

He is not very fast (4.65 forty), but he is a versatile athlete.  He started his college career as a 5 star RB at Tennessee.  His first two seasons he lit it up with over 2500 yards from scrimmage and 21 tds.  His sophomore season he was #4 in the SEC with 1285 rushing yards.

He suffered a concussion his junior season and wanted to switch to WR.  Vol coaches did not agree so he transferred to Baylor.  In '18 he finished #6 in the Big 12 in receptions (69) and #10 in receiving yards (946).

Never thought he would be a big star in the NFL because he is not a real "quick-twitch" athlete.  He is not great in-and-out of his cuts. He is not going to get a lot of separation running routes.  

But he is a big target with decent hands. And he is a smooth runner with the ball in his hands. And still just 26.

I remember him coming into the 2019 draft but he's done nothing in the NFL so of course he fell out of memory when thinking about FAs.
After basically doing nothing the past 3 years due to injuries, I can't imagine he'd offer anything to a NFL team to justify a roster spot at this point.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-24-2022, 04:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I remember him coming into the 2019 draft but he's done nothing in the NFL so of course he fell out of memory when thinking about FAs.
After basically doing nothing the past 3 years due to injuries, I can't imagine he'd offer anything to a NFL team to justify a roster spot at this point.

Yep.

If he was not a former Vol I would have forgotten him by now also.

But still a unique talent when he was healty.
Reply/Quote
Was drafted with Deebo and there was a lot of buzz about their young WR's at the time (including Trent Taylor). Hurd looked like he could be very versatile coming out of college, but the injury stuff obviously got in the way (I believe every year since he was drafted). I liked the pick when they drafted him but odds against him doing something now unfortunately. He certainly had his fans at the time of the pick, and some of which claiming he would be better than Deebo.
Reply/Quote