Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jamal Adams extended...Bates next?
The bar has been set...

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 03:04 PM)pally Wrote: The bar has been set...

Curious to see what the incentives, bonuses etc., are besides the 38 mil guaranteed.
Reply/Quote
Copy text, paste, find and replace "Jamal Adams" to "Jessie Bates", send to Bates for signature and approval.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 03:04 PM)pally Wrote: The bar has been set...

hes more than just a Saftey though right doesnt he line up all over the field?
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 03:21 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: hes more than just a Saftey though right doesnt he line up all over the field?

Agreed but good luck telling Bates agent that.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
the big sticking point is likely to be the guaranteed money. In the past the Bengals don't like to guarantee much

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 03:21 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: hes more than just a Saftey though right doesnt he line up all over the field?

He is actually not a very good "coverage safety" and in reality is probably more linebacker/utility player. I still think the Simmons contract is a perfect blueprint for his contract because their skillsets are more aligned, but if you told me I had to give him the Adams deal to keep him I would probably do it.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 03:45 PM)Au165 Wrote: He is actually not a very good "coverage safety" and in reality is probably more linebacker/utility player. I still think the Simmons contract is a perfect blueprint for his contract because their skillsets are more aligned, but if you told me I had to give him the Adams deal to keep him I would probably do it.

I wonder if a reason they brought in Ricardo Allen is so they can line Jessie Bates up over the TE in coverage more on 3rd downs.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bates is not at Adams level.

At least not yet. If he wants to be paid like Adams without an Adams resume, just franchise tag him in 2022 and 2023.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
There is absolutely no way Mike Brown and the Bengals spend $17.5 mill APY on a safety.
That'd be the most money they've spent on a defensive player APY ever.

We're gonna be lucky to see the Bengals spend even $15 mill APY on a safety, honestly.

They'd rather spend that kind of money on a QB, WR, pass rusher, or CB.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
We are screwed. There is no way in hell Mikey touches that $38 million guaranteed number.

They are lucky they can use the franchise tag as leverage to sign him, thats the only saving grace with getting this deal done.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 04:08 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bates is not at Adams level.

At least not yet. If he wants to be paid like Adams without an Adams resume, just franchise tag him in 2022 and 2023.

this is likely the way we move forward
Reply/Quote
I honestly only see us offering Bates slightly more than Hubbard got
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 04:08 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bates is not at Adams level.

This... I like the guy, and he had a great season last year, but c'mon. He was great last year, solid as a rookie, and borderline meh in 2019. That doesn't deserve that contract yet. He's gotta do it again.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 07:50 PM)jason Wrote: This... I like the guy, and he had a great season last year, but c'mon. He was great last year, solid as a rookie, and borderline meh in 2019. That doesn't deserve that contract yet. He's gotta do it again.

You don't pay players for what they have done; you pay them for what there going to do. Bates is about to enter his prime the is price will only go up from  now on for him. Pay the man.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 08:11 PM)J24 Wrote: You don't pay players for what they have done; you pay them for what there going to do. Bates is about to enter his prime the is price will only go up from  now on for him. Pay the man.

Exactly.  

If we don't, some other team will.  That's also why we don't want to piss him off with the franchise tag because, while it is a lot of money, it takes a year or two off of his prime payday days, and not to mention if he gets injured.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 08:11 PM)J24 Wrote: You don't pay players for what they have done; you pay them for what there going to do. Bates is about to enter his prime the is price will only go up from  now on for him. Pay the man.

I want to lock him up as much as anybody. I just don't wanna be ridiculous about it. For the majority of his short career he's been pretty good to really good. I'm not sure he's a game changer though. That assessment could easily change this year. Either way, it's nice to have options. They can tag him for 2 seasons if something can't be worked out, and if he walks... We probably got his best seasons out of him anyway. Again... I wanna keep him too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

This ^^

Bates has more than thrice earned what he was paid on that meager third round deal, coming out of Wake Forrest.  Despite all of the coaching and personnel changes during his time here, all the man has done is continue to get better each season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Except that's how you get into bad contracts. You need it to also be based off of what he has done. That's why Hubbard was signed as a 2nd tier contract. You don't throw Top 1-3 contracts at guys based off of promise. 

Jamal Adams is only 1.5 years older than Bates but has a much much much stouter resume.

Your blind rallying call of "pay the man" is how the Bengals got stuck into a shitty deal with Mixon. There's no harm in letting Bates prove himself in 2021 if he wants to be paid as a top safety.

(08-17-2021, 08:47 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Exactly.  

If we don't, some other team will.  That's also why we don't want to piss him off with the franchise tag because, while it is a lot of money, it takes a year or two off of his prime payday days, and not to mention if he gets injured.

Except they're literally incapable of doing so as long as the Bengals give him the exclusive franchise tag in 2022. Heck, even if they give him the non-exclusive tag in 2022 that would still require an NFL team to not only pay Bates $17-18m/yr, it would also require them to give the Bengals 2 1st round picks.

The Denver S who had just signed the prior big contract this offseason was negotiating while being tagged for the 2nd straight year. It didn't stop them from getting a longterm deal done.

What's Bates option? Retire? He doesn't get paid. Sandbag? Nobody is going to pay a sandbagger, doubly so since Bates doesn't have an extensive history of excellence prior to it. His best option is to keep playing at a high level because he'll keep getting paid at a high level either by the Bengals once he's proven he's worth a top tier contract, or by another team once he hits FA in 2024. Le'Veon Bell showed that hold outs simply don't work. You'll probably never make that money back and the year off will probably ruin you on the field.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2021, 09:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This ^^

Bates has more than thrice earned what he was paid on that meager third round deal, coming out of Wake Forrest.  Despite all of the coaching and personnel changes during his time here, all the man has done is continue to get better each season.

2nd round deal, his "meager" deal was $5m, and he actually got worse in year 2 compared to year 1.

2018: 489 yards/1 TD/77.7 QB Rating allowed... 8.3% missed tackle rate
2019: 509 yards/4 TDs/100.1 QB Rating allowed... 14.5% missed tackle rate

- - - - - -
Strike one, strike two, strike three. You're out?   Ninja

Reply/Quote