Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jamal Adams in first round
(01-10-2017, 09:23 PM)blt4584 Wrote: So it's more of a scheme fit/other needs than a talent issue with the two? I think they are both great players and would both be an upgrade, but I can see the point.

That is correct.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 08:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I have heard this from Marv before but i don't buy it. I remember Reggie saying that was a big reason for his
success here, he was able to be in more of a Free Safety role. Iloka is more of a Strong Safety and so is Shawn.

Like Doc says Reggie could cover lots more ground and read the plays much better than Shawn.

I'm just telling you how the scheme works and it's backed up by the guy who is in charge of it. The responsabilities are half a field. Obviously they don't play only two high coverages so a guy with range will get some chance to show off but A safety at 9 is to take a skill set that is underutilized in our scheme.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 04:44 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I respectfully disagree here because I think hooker is better and has higher upside. But that's not the problem. We have a top 10 safety in Iloka when he has an actual fs next to him. Our problem is we are trying to convert Williams from ss to fs and it's not really working. If we were going to draft a safety I would take fs since we already have 2 legit ss in Iloka and Williams. And obviously hooker is a ball Hawk and a legit fs that is more than worthy of a number 9 pick. Is comparable as a mix of ed Reed and Eric berry. Not opposed to taking safety early just we have no need at that safety position. 

Hooker was non existent against the best team in college. I do not want him. I think he is a great player but hes not a game changing player. hes another boring safety. Adams is so much better. 

I definitely respect your view of Hooker though. I was a huge fan of him until he was nowhere to be found during the Clemson game. I also think youre right about our safety situation but for once i would love to have someone like Polamalu or Ronnie lot or Fulcher. Not another "coverage guy" 

Bengals need a safety thats everywhere, in the box or deep that receivers fear.
Reply/Quote
Also, as much as i want a Safety in the first round. Lets be honest, its a pipe dream. There have been so many drafts i wanted a safety or another player and they never pick them.

Ill be happy with either Adams or Hooker or peppers in round two but lets face it, prolly another CB in RD1

I would love to draft the best lineman available who is actually healthy or a LB or S. Maybe even trade back for a 3rd rounder or something decent.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 11:53 PM)Alleyviper13 Wrote: Hooker was non existent against the best team in college. I do not want him. I think he is a great player but hes not a game changing player. hes another boring safety. Adams is so much better. 

I definitely respect your view of Hooker though. I was a huge fan of him until he was nowhere to be found during the Clemson game. I also think youre right about our safety situation but for once i would love to have someone like Polamalu or Ronnie lot or Fulcher. Not another "coverage guy" 

Bengals need a safety thats everywhere, in the box or deep that receivers fear.
Didn't help that they were on field whole game but 7 tackles and a int were really good
(01-10-2017, 11:57 PM)Alleyviper13 Wrote: Also, as much as i want a Safety in the first round. Lets be honest, its a pipe dream. There have been so many drafts i wanted a safety or another player and they never pick them.

Ill be happy with either Adams or Hooker or peppers in round two but lets face it, prolly another CB in RD1

I would love to draft the best lineman available who is actually healthy or a LB or S. Maybe even trade back for a 3rd rounder or something decent.
I actually have been balling hard for Williams. First time in a while I've wanted a receiver early. With McMillan or elflien and Walker in round 2. Also really want mixon in 4th
Reply/Quote
The Bengals aren't going Safety early in this draft.

They have 4 on the roster. 2 of which have just resigned for starter money. Smith and Fejadelem have flashed in their roles as well. No way the Bengals are going first or 2nd round for Safety depth.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 11:18 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'm just telling you how the scheme works and it's backed up by the guy who is in charge of it. The responsabilities are half a field. Obviously they don't play only two high coverages so a guy with range will get some chance to show off but A safety at 9 is to take a skill set that is underutilized in our scheme.

Not sure that I agree after last season.  It seemed as though they trusted RFN to play single high and allow the rest of the players on D to play aggressively.  A true center fielder might bring back some of the aggressive press man/blitz type of stuff.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 08:12 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Not sure that I agree after last season.  It seemed as though they trusted RFN to play single high and allow the rest of the players on D to play aggressively.  A true center fielder might bring back some of the aggressive press man/blitz type of stuff.

They didn't, you can watch the tape and still see their base scheme was two high. We don't play press man really, that isn't Zimmer  ( and therefor Guenthers) style. Once again, not saying we never play cover three or a cover 1 look, but it's never going to be the majority of any given game.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2017, 04:01 PM)dr1441 Wrote: I do agree that we have much bigger needs upfront on both sides of the ball, but were trying to fit a square peg in a round role with putting Illoka or Williams at FS. Both are natural strong safeties and neither have a ton of range like the role of  what Reggie Nelson did for us. If you add someone that can play centerfield to this defense, you will see a ton of pressure taken off the CB's. 

Eddie Jackson from Alabama is very much a center field type of FS and is projected in Rounds 3-4 because of his injury that kept him out the last seven games. The Bengals also wanted to give Josh Shaw a chance at safety last offseason but had to keep him at CB due to injuries at that position.

Bottom line is that the Bengals are picking in a tough spot at #9. Unless Garrett or Allen falls, there are a ton of ways to go, and all the remaining options either are considered reaches, luxuries, or gambles.

I'm starting to get the feeling the team throws everyone for a loop and takes Teez Tabor, CB Florida.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2017, 08:32 AM)Jpoore Wrote:  too me Peppers isn't even a pick till late third round. He had 1 pick in his entire college career. And that was on a tipped pass. If I'm drafting a safety he has to get picks and hooker had 7 times as many as Peppers and 2 more than Adams did in three years as hooker did in one.
I would be happy with Adams or Hooker.i think a safety would help our d alot.We had a big dropoff when Reggie Nelson left.i think either would be an upgrade and would be immediate impact players
Reply/Quote
I've always seen Shaw as our next FS. He's just had to play CB due to injury.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2017, 03:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Eddie Jackson from Alabama is very much a center field type of FS and is projected in Rounds 3-4 because of his injury that kept him out the last seven games. The Bengals also wanted to give Josh Shaw a chance at safety last offseason but had to keep him at CB due to injuries at that position.

Bottom line is that the Bengals are picking in a tough spot at #9. Unless Garrett or Allen falls, there are a ton of ways to go, and all the remaining options either are considered reaches, luxuries, or gambles.

I'm starting to get the feeling the team throws everyone for a loop and takes Teez Tabor, CB Florida.

I've been worried the BPA at #9 is going to be a CB ever since the draft order was determined and started projecting who would go where in the top 8 picks.  

The QBs are going to get pushed up due to need because they always do.  Maybe we catch a break this year.  With some of the coaching changes, who knows what directions those teams will go.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2017, 11:18 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'm just telling you how the scheme works and it's backed up by the guy who is in charge of it. The responsabilities are half a field. Obviously they don't play only two high coverages so a guy with range will get some chance to show off but A safety at 9 is to take a skill set that is underutilized in our scheme.

Alright, i getcha.

I doubt we take Adams or Hooker anyways.

Probably another Corner like Tabor.

Wanting a pass rusher though or an athletic Linebacker.
Reply/Quote
Hooker>Adams
Reply/Quote
I would rather try for OBI MELIFONWU in the later rounds. 6'3 216 118 tackles 4ints or Tedric Thompson 6'0 205 58 tackles 15 passes def. 7 ints.
Reply/Quote