Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jamarr Chase is the rare 2nd year player that doesn’t have much to work on
To me he’s like Moss after his rookie year. Yeah Moss definitely had to work on his routes but Jamarr imo is already very proficient in his route tree. His hands are elite. His blocking is already above average.

I just don’t see how much Chase can get better as a player. What i think will change is his usage and targets because Burrow will have more time.

Can anyone identify some things Chase can greatly improve on?
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Hands consistency.

You called them elite, but he had 11 drops in 2021 regular season. 8.6% drop rate. It's no John Ross (who hung out around 14%), but it's not particularly good either.

Davante Adams had a 0.7% and 1.8% drop rate the last two years.
Tyreek Hill had a 3.7% and 4.4% rate the last two years.
Justin Jefferson had a 1.6% and 4.2% rate the last two years.

So Chase needs to about halve his drops.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
He had too many drops last year.

FootballOutsiders has him with 11.
Reply/Quote
I don’t think his hands are elite. That’s the one area I would criticize (but it’s not a major issue). I might also say he is unproven with contested catches, but mostly because he rarely needed them last year.

Route running: great
Separation: elite
Contested catch: undetermined
Hands: above average
Blocking: above average
Reading the defense: elite
After the catch: elite
Slot: great
Outside: elite
Backfield: probably great [unproven]
Chemistry with the QB: elite

Just off the top of my head. I’m not watching film.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 02:35 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Hands consistency.

You called them elite, but he had 11 drops in 2021 regular season. 8.6% drop rate. It's no John Ross (who hung out around 14%), but it's not particularly good either.

Davante Adams had a 0.7% and 1.8% drop rate the last two years.
Tyreek Hill had a 3.7% and 4.4% rate the last two years.
Justin Jefferson had a 1.6% and 4.2% rate the last two years.

So Chase needs to about halve his drops.

Yep, still needs to limit those drops. Doesn't matter how talented Chase is if he drops the ball.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 02:27 PM)Housh Wrote: To me he’s like Moss after his rookie year. Yeah Moss definitely had to work on his routes but Jamarr imo is already very proficient in his route tree. His hands are elite. His blocking is already above average.

I just don’t see how much Chase can get better as a player. What i think will change is his usage and targets because Burrow will have more time.

His hands aren’t elite
Reply/Quote
One of the main preps for next year is adapting to the double teaming of JaMar. I’m hoping Hurst helps and Mixon in the run game. I hope they utilize Chase more like SF and Debo Samuel. I really think this offense takes off.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 03:51 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: One of the main preps for next year is adapting to the double teaming of JaMar.

They were winning when defenses were using that strategy in 2021.

I don’t get what you’re saying. You really think Burrow and the bengals are gonna have to prepare for...*gasp* double teams on Jamarr?
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 04:02 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: They were winning when defenses were using that strategy in 2021.

I don’t get what you’re saying. You really think Burrow and the bengals are gonna have to prepare for...*gasp* double teams on Jamarr?

Yes I do definitely. I think he sees more of it
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 04:05 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Yes I do definitely. I think he sees more of it

It only helps the Offense honestly. If a team can find a Corner that can cover Chase 1 on 1 than we might be in trouble or if one 
of Higgins or Boyd get injured. Need to bring in a Free Agent WR like DeDe Westbrook like I said in the WR thread. Outside speedy
WR that has played in a lot of different Offenses.
Reply/Quote
He needs to work on beating double-teams, as he, himself, has said.

Clearly, this would be helped by offensive scheming and it will be interesting to see what the coaches come up with after working with him for a year and having a full offseason to think about it.
Reply/Quote
The timing on the deeper routes can use a touch of polish.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Jeez fellas, I’m not too sure this offense can handle opposing defenses double teaming jamarr chase. I’m really worried
Reply/Quote
Peyton Manning said the key to getting better was finding the weakness in your game to work on. He said too many athletes just like to work on the stuff they are already good at.

I don't have near enough knowledge about all the subtle nuances of play WR in the NFL, but I am pretty sure Ja'Marr has plenty of things to work on
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 02:27 PM)Housh Wrote: To me he’s like Moss after his rookie year. Yeah Moss definitely had to work on his routes but Jamarr imo is already very proficient in his route tree. His hands are elite. His blocking is already above average.

Yet with Chase being at this level he is the kind of player that will continue to work tirelessly to improve. This is why he and Joey Franchise are such a great pair. Tee Higgens is cut of the same mold.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 03:51 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: One of the main preps for next year is adapting to the double teaming of JaMar. I’m hoping Hurst helps and Mixon in the run game. I hope they utilize Chase more like SF and Debo Samuel. I really think this offense takes off.

I have no desire to see Chase being used running the ball out of the backfield. Let him stretch defenses and continue to create mismatches and double teams.
Reply/Quote
His hands because of said drops, and his routes do need polish.

But, I don’t think I would be saying hands if he didn’t drop touchdown catches that were thrown well enough to hit his hands. If he caught those they would have had 12 wins.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 08:42 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I have no desire to see Chase being used running the ball out of the backfield. Let him stretch defenses and continue to create mismatches and double teams.

Don't mean to take this thread off on a tangent, but plays like that have a hidden value.  If you just show it once or twice a game the defense has to be ready for it every single time.  It can effect the way they play the entire game.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 03:51 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: One of the main preps for next year is adapting to the double teaming of JaMar. I’m hoping Hurst helps and Mixon in the run game. I hope they utilize Chase more like SF and Debo Samuel. I really think this offense takes off.

I don't think Deebo is too keen on being utilized that way anymore.... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 08:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Don't mean to take this thread off on a tangent, but plays like that have a hidden value.  If you just show it once or twice a game the defense has to be ready for it every single time.  It can effect the way they play the entire game.

Sure, but in their 3 playoff games Deebo ran 27 times (for 137 yards) and caught 10 passes (for 154 yards). Ja'Marr Chase in his 4 playoff games caught 25 passes (for 368 yards) and ran 6 times (for 32 yards). Even if you look at targets rather than catches, Deebo produced 291 yards on 41 plays versus Chase producing 400 yards on 41 plays. Running backs are just simply less valuable than a top tier #1 WR.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote