Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bates was the top rated Safety in the NFL by PFF
So, I was reading through an article on espn+ breaking down the best PFF graded players at each position this year and was pleasantly surprised to see Jessie Bates was tops in the NFL. If I missed this already, apologies, been a weird couple years.

The blurb from ESPN.com:
Quote:Safety

Best overall: Jessie Bates III, Cincinnati Bengals
Grade: 90.1

After the season he had, Bates not making the Pro Bowl roster in the AFC stands as one of the team's biggest snubs. He led all players at the position in PFF grade at 90.1, and he showcased that few players in the league can compete with the kind of range and instincts he has at the free safety position. His 15 combined pass breakups and interceptions this season were more than any other safety in the league even though he plays a deeper role where he doesn't see nearly as many passes come his way as those who play more in the slot and box.
Reply/Quote
Bates was without question our breakout player on Defense. Love hearing this stuff especially after such a tough couple of years.

We will need to save up some dough to sign him long term. Bates could be our Ed Reed on down the road.

The only complaint I have had with Jessie's game is that at times he doesn't wrap up well enough but he can fix this.

You cannot teach his instincts nor his range.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 07:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Bates was without question our breakout player on Defense. Love hearing this stuff especially after such a tough couple of years.

We will need to save up some dough to sign him long term. Bates could be our Ed Reed on down the road.

The only complaint I have had with Jessie's game is that at times he doesn't wrap up well enough but he can fix this.

You cannot teach his instincts nor his range.

You lost me there, Nate. Lol

Bates is great and I am really glad his run defense took a huge step forward as the season progressed, but I don't see an Ed Reed ceiling in him.

Ed Reed through 3 years: 21 INT, 44 Pdef, 4 FF, 4.0 Sacks, 3 Def TDs
Jessie Bates through 3 years: 9 INT, 31 Pdef, 2 FF, 0.0 Sacks, 1 Def TD

I look forward to Bates getting some more national recognition and appreciation if he maintains this level of play, but there's a wide margin between that and "Top-5 Safety in NFL History".

Granted, Bates did come into the NFL quite young. Pretty weird to think next year he'll be just 24, so lots of career left ahead of him. I was hoping Lou would be gone and they could get a DC who'd put a bit more focus on ball skills, or practicing catching, or whatever needs to be done. The entire defense (not singling out Bates here) needs to stop turning so many easy interceptions into drops.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 08:16 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You lost me there, Nate. Lol

Bates is great and I am really glad his run defense took a huge step forward as the season progressed, but I don't see an Ed Reed ceiling in him.

I look forward to Bates getting some more national recognition and appreciation if he maintains this level of play, but there's a wide margin between that and "Top-5 Safety in NFL History".

Granted, Bates did come into the NFL quite young. Pretty weird to think next year he'll be just 24, so lots of career left ahead of him. I was hoping Lou would be gone and they could get a DC who'd put a bit more focus on ball skills, or practicing catching, or whatever needs to be done. The entire defense (not singling out Bates here) needs to stop turning so many easy interceptions into drops.

How was Baltimore in Reeds first 3 years on def. I believe pretty good,  so what Bates accomplished might actually be more impressive with a bad def.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 08:24 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: How was Baltimore in Reeds first 3 years on def. I believe pretty good,  so what Bates accomplished might actually be more impressive with a bad def.

An oftentimes historically bad defense....
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Yeah, let’s slow down on comparing him to Ed Reed. Bates might have a handful more INT’s if we actually had a pass rush, but 21 picks in your first 3 seasons? That’s insane. Especially in the early 2000’s when the league wasn’t as pass heavy yet.

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 09:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, let’s slow down on comparing him to Ed Reed. Bates might have a handful more INT’s if we actually had a pass rush, but 21 picks in your first 3 seasons? That’s insane. Especially in the early 2000’s when the league wasn’t as pass heavy yet.

Well he did have 4 games a year vs Pick Six Palmer (I remember Reed getting quite a few against us) and about 14 Cleveland Browns QBs.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 10:10 PM)jason Wrote: Well he did have 4 games a year vs Pick Six Palmer (I remember Reed getting quite a few against us) and about 14 Cleveland Browns QBs.

But Leap was talking about just Reed’s first 3 seasons. Palmer only played in one of those.

He did pick Carson off 4x that year though. Lol

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 08:24 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: How was Baltimore in Reeds first 3 years on def. I believe pretty good,  so what Bates accomplished might actually be more impressive with a bad def.

[Image: billy-madison-we-are-all-dumber-for-havi...-gif-2.gif]

No. No it's not.

The 1st Ballot HoF Top-5 All Time safety is still more impressive.

Reed had 16 INT in year 2&3 combined. That IS why the Ravens defense was good those years. (They were 19th in scoring his rookie year.)

He had as many INTs his 3rd year as Bates has had in his career.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Bates was one of the few bright spots this year. Hope he's even better next season.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 11:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: billy-madison-we-are-all-dumber-for-havi...-gif-2.gif]

No. No it's not.

The 1st Ballot HoF Top-5 All Time safety is still more impressive.

Reed had 16 INT in year 2&3 combined. That IS why the Ravens defense was good those years. (They were 19th in scoring his rookie year.)

He had as many INTs his 3rd year as Bates has had in his career.

im not talking career.. but what he did this year with a bad defense is very impressive..rare a player from a bad team earns this award.  I agree Reed was a awesome player.. and high honors go to Bates for this year and maybe he is on his way to a great career.
Reply/Quote
Bates was the lone bright spot. In a defense gone wrong there. You got that right!
Happy Halloween
Reply/Quote
Congrats to Jesse Bates. Let's hope that the Bengals do the right thing and offer him a contract extension worth sticking around for several more years.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2021, 12:07 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: im not talking career.. but what he did this year with a bad defense is very impressive..rare a player from a bad team earns this award.  I agree Reed was a awesome player.. and high honors go to Bates for this year and maybe he is on his way to a great career.

It’s not really an award. It’s just a PFF ranking. And plenty of players from bad teams get shown love from them.

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 08:16 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You lost me there, Nate. Lol

Well Ed Reed was probably the greatest Safety I have ever watched play so I getcha. Too high of hope from me with Bates
but still I love how Bates has such great range and instincts. Just saying this is similar and with a better front Bates might 
get more picks. Those numbers from Reed are legitimately mind boggling. Shocked
Reply/Quote