Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Pollack's thoughts about the O-line
(01-18-2021, 05:17 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: ? I don't see his definition as close meaning they aren't open to adding more players..
I think you're just over reacting a bit there.

It's not an overreaction, it's not knowing what his definition of "close" is.
Close, to me, is having at least 4 spots with solid-or-better starters and just needing 1 more guy.
But to him, that definition might be different.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2021, 08:55 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Bottom line, our 1st round pick is going to rock, because it will be Sewell, Chase or Smith. I prefer Sewell, but won't be disappointed with any of them.

yep, and Fields just declared as they thought he would, so 2 of those picks in front of us should be QB's, which leaves at the very least, 1 of those 3 to us. 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 05:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's not an overreaction, it's not knowing what his definition of "close" is.
Close, to me, is having at least 4 spots with solid-or-better starters and just needing 1 more guy.
But to him, that definition might be different.

I think 1 stud on the line is close, don't you?
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 06:39 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I think 1 stud on the line is close, don't you?

They are at minimum 1 tackle away, but more like 1 guard, 1 center, 1 tackle away
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 08:30 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: They are at minimum 1 tackle away, but more like 1 guard, 1 center, 1 tackle away

Could not agree more.

I believe that Joe Thuney to the Bengals will be similar to the Green Bay Packers signing Reggie White. It is the most important piece of the off-season. The Bengals need a Pro Bowl player on the line to give it confidence and an identity. If we can get Moton great if not we can still be a great line if we get preferably Sewell but I would take 1 of the next 10 tackles. Your point of Center help is exactly right because I do not trust Hopkins as a starter. Give me Dickerson, Humphrey or Josh Myers in the 3rd round and I think Pollack can give us a top 10 line with depth. The 4 remaining teams in the playoffs are teams with the best QB's which gives them the best Offense.

LT - Sewell back up Idenji
LG - Thuney back up Su'a-Filo
C - Dickerson backup Hopkins
RG - Spain back up Jordan/Price
RT - Williams back up Johnson

If the draft goes this way it will be a very successful draft.
1. Land Sewell or trade down and still get a top Tackle and another draft pick
2. CB Asante Samuel, WR Rondale Moore/ WR Kadarius Toney, DE Barmore
2A. Dickerson C, Humphrey C or take Walker Little OT
3. Josh Myers C, CB or DT
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 08:30 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: They are at minimum 1 tackle away, but more like 1 guard, 1 center, 1 tackle away

I would argue 2 guards, 1 tackle. Hopkins is a better C than any G that's on the roster.
Hopkins could be upgraded if wanting to have a better run blocker, but he's good in pass protection.
Jonah Williams is a good pass protector, but he wasn't a good run blocker for the Bengals either. However, he was solid in that department at Alabama, so I have hope for him, especially with Pollack now handling the run game and OL coaching.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2021, 10:10 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Could not agree more.

I believe that Joe Thuney to the Bengals will be similar to the Green Bay Packers signing Reggie White. It is the most important piece of the off-season. The Bengals need a Pro Bowl player on the line to give it confidence and an identity. If we can get Moton great if not we can still be a great line if we get preferably Sewell but I would take 1 of the next 10 tackles. Your point of Center help is exactly right because I do not trust Hopkins as a starter. Give me Dickerson, Humphrey or Josh Myers in the 3rd round and I think Pollack can give us a top 10 line with depth. The 4 remaining teams in the playoffs are teams with the best QB's which gives them the best Offense.

LT - Sewell back up Idenji
LG - Thuney back up Su'a-Filo
C - Dickerson backup Hopkins
RG - Spain back up Jordan/Price
RT - Williams back up Johnson

If the draft goes this way it will be a very successful draft.
1. Land Sewell or trade down and still get a top Tackle and another draft pick
2. CB Asante Samuel, WR Rondale Moore/ WR Kadarius Toney, DE Barmore
2A. Dickerson C, Humphrey C or take Walker Little OT
3. Josh Myers C, CB or DT

How many OL do you think they will keep on the 53?  Isn't it normally 9 or 10?  I think you have 11 listed there.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 12:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How many OL do you think they will keep on the 53?  Isn't it normally 9 or 10?  I think you have 11 listed there.

5 Starters and 5 backups. Price/Jordan was an either/or option.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 01:41 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: 5 Starters and 5 backups. Price/Jordan was an either/or option.

You'd have to keep Price in this case since Hopkins will be recovering from an ACL injury for likely the first few games at least.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 12:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How many OL do you think they will keep on the 53?  Isn't it normally 9 or 10?  I think you have 11 listed there.

i think we generally keep 9... Which is why guys that can play multiple spots are a premium
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 05:13 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i think we generally keep 9... Which is why guys that can play multiple spots are a premium

That's what I thought.  If anyone is signed or drafted, then an equal number have to go.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I would remove Johnson and Jordan if we were to keep 9.

Sign Jordan back to the practice squad.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 08:08 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I would remove Johnson and Jordan if we were to keep 9.

Sign Jordan back to the practice squad.

unless eligibilty rules changed i dont think he can be PS any more 
Reply/Quote