Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James Casey
I'm not exactly a member of the Geoff Hobson fan club, but I think this story on our TE coach is one of the best interviews he's ever done.

https://www.bengals.com/news/engals-te-coach-james-casey-still-self-made-player-every-singl

Casey's story is really interesting. Hard work, persistence, and some luck in getting where he is. He deflects praise and gives credit to his players. Humility is a very underrated character quality, but all great leaders have it.
Reply/Quote
I enjoyed that, too.

Kind of segues into our Bengals' reporters being just poor overall. Hobson is the best of them.

But, between Lapham fawning all over everything Burrow says and the other guys asking the same questions week after week...

-"how are you feeling, Joe?"
-(to any other member of the team), "how does Joe look?"
-"are you looking past (pick a team) to play (anyone in the AFC North, or KC)?" What do you expect them to say? "yeah...we're totally looking 2-3-4 weeks into the future and not worried about this week's game"!

I could go on, but it's to the point I can no longer listen to guys like Rapine.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2023, 01:26 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: I enjoyed that, too.

Kind of segues into our Bengals' reporters being just poor overall.  Hobson is the best of them.

But, between Lapham fawning all over everything Burrow says and the other guys asking the same questions week after week...

-"are you looking past (pick a team) to play (anyone in the AFC North, or KC)?"  What do you expect them to say?  "yeah...we're totally looking 2-3-4 weeks into the future and not worried about this week's game"!

I could go on, but it's to the point I can no longer listen to guys like Rapine.

The players are tired of answering stupid questions about Joe. "How does it make you feel to see Joe playing so well?", "What are you thinking when you see Joe playing hurt?" Chase wants to tell them to STFU half the time.

We have some very mid beat reporters.

Kelsey Conway is either trying to start a controversy or asks the dumbest questions that should result in her losing her press pass.

VS Saints last season, Joe threw a simple out route in which Jamar made a guy miss and took it 60 yards to the house for the win.
Conway post game to Joe: "Did you know before the play that that was going to be a touch down?"
Conway this past Monday to Boyd:  "Joe has had 2 good games can he win MVP?"

We all love Lap but super homer is not even close.  And the way he asks his questions while not only answering them before he lets the other guy speak but also taking away anything the responder could say is mind numbing:

"Hey Burrow looked good today didn't he?  I mean 19-19 to start the game, 3 touch downs, no turnovers, he ran like crazy, he was really awesome, showed no signs of the injury, he 's back to his old self, he looked good today didn't he?"

At least James has quelled his dancing some.  Did you know he wrote a book?  

Reply/Quote

Kind of segues into our Bengals' reporters being just poor overall.  Hobson is the best of them.

-"are you looking past (pick a team) to play (anyone in the AFC North, or KC)?"  What do you expect them to say?  "yeah...we're totally looking 2-3-4 weeks into the future and not worried about this week's game"!

Agreed. I prefer to watch Joe Goodberry breakdown film and listen to the guys on state of the jungle talk pre/post-game. Less sensationalized, more focused football talk.  
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2023, 01:44 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We all love Lap but super homer is not even close.  And the way he asks his questions while not only answering them before he lets the other guy speak but also taking away anything the responder could say is mind numbing:

"Hey Burrow looked good today didn't he?  I mean 19-19 to start the game, 3 touch downs, no turnovers, he ran like crazy, he was really awesome, showed no signs of the injury, he 's back to his old self, he looked good today didn't he?"

yes, I find his questions leading to answers very annoying. Doesn't let our players be authentic on how they want to address the question. 
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Then there’s the same answer Zac gives for the same question about the opposing team…

“They’re well coached. They’re smart. They’re fast.”

He should probably just put up a power pint presentation on the screen with those types of quotes to cover 95% of the questions our people ask him.
Reply/Quote

I usually agree with you Graphicguy, but not here. I have never been able to stand Hobspin.

I like everybody better than him, even Lap lol

To the OP, I like James Casey as our TE coach a bit better now. I mean, he doesn't have much talent to work with, but our TE's are
always pretty good blockers and right now Sample is the best in the NFL at it. Still remember Casey on the Texans playing TE and he
hurt us badly a few times. Was a good player.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2023, 01:44 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The players are tired of answering stupid questions about Joe.   "How does it make you feel to see Joe playing so well?",  "What are you thinking when you see Joe playing hurt?"  Chase wants to tell them to STFU half the time.

We have some very mid beat reporters.  

Kelsey Conway is either trying to start a controversy or asks the dumbest questions that should result in her losing her press pass.

VS Saints last season, Joe threw a simple out route in which Jamar made a guy miss and took it 60 yards to the house for the win.
Conway post game to Joe: "Did you know before the play that that was going to be a touch down?"
Conway this past Monday to Boyd:  "Joe has had 2 good games can he win MVP?"

We all love Lap but super homer is not even close.  And the way he asks his questions while not only answering them before he lets the other guy speak but also taking away anything the responder could say is mind numbing:

At least James has quelled his dancing some.  Did you know he wrote a book?  

Honestly Hobs is the only one who does not do that.   I like the Locked on Bengals podcast, but both those guys answer every question they ask before the one being interviewed has a chance.  Drives me crazy.  And don't get me started on the vapid sideline reporters interviewing QBs at the end of televised games.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Interesting that Casey claims he wasn't really a TE in college because he never blocked or even got in a three-point stance. In the NCAA record books he credited with most receptions in a season by a TE (111 in 2008).
Reply/Quote