Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James Casey and Ben Martin New TE & OL Coaches
I have the statistics from Union College 2016-2018, but I don't know if you can tell how good an offensive line is by stats?

Offensive Quality Control Coach Texas A&M 2010 (9-4)
276.8 yards passing per game, 288 total pass attempts, 28-15 TD-INT, 12 sacks allowed.
165 yards rushing per game (4.1 YPC).
Interesting Notes: Ryan Tannenhill was the QB, Mike Sherman was the HC.

Offensive Quality Control Coach Texas A&M 2011 (7-6)
291.1 yards passing per game, 537 total pass attempts, 29-15 YD-INT, 8 sacks allowed.
199.2 yards rushing per game (5.1 YPC).
Interesting Notes: Ryan Tannenhill was the QB, Mike Sherman was the HC.

Running Backs Coach Princeton 2012 (5-5)
146.8 yards rushing per game (3.5 YPC).

Offensive Line/Run Game Coordinator Wagner 2013 (3-8)
Can't find any stats.

Offensive Assistant Miami Dolphins 2014 (8-8)
254.1 yards passing per game, 595 total pass attempts, 27-12 TD-INT, 46 sacks allowed.
117 yards rushing per game (4.7 YPC)
Interesting Notes: Ryan Tannenhill was the QB, Zac Taylor was QB's Coach, John Benton was the OL Coach.

Offensive Assistant Miami Dolphins 2015 (6-10)
264.4 yards passing per game, 588 total pass attempts, 24-12 TD-INT, 45 sacks allowed.
93.5 yards rushing per game (4.3 YPC)
Interesting Notes: Ryan Tannenhill was the QB, Zac Taylor was the QB's/OC, John Benton was the OL Coach.

Offensive Line Coach Union College 2016 (3-7)
79.8 yards passing per game, 149 total pass attempts,  7-4 TD-INT, 5 sacks allowed.
196.8 yards rushing per game (4.6 YPC).

Offensive Line Coach Union College 2017 (7-4)
189.9 yard passing per game, 288 total pass attempts, 17-13 TD-INT, 21 sacks allowed.
107 yards rushing per game (2.9 YPC)

Offensive Line Coach Union College 2018 (7-2)
228 yards passing per game, 277 total pass attempts, 22-8 TD-INT, 12 sacks allowed.
136.4 yards rushing per game (3.8 YPC)

Just going off the record alone it seems improvement was made after his first season there. Passing game seemed to improve though the rushing attack was very pedestrian after a run heavy first season.

Notes: John Benton was the Offensive Line coach for Colorado State, St. Louis Rams, Houston Texans, Miami Dolphins, Jacksonville Jaguars, and currently the San Fransisco 49ers. Only position he has held outside of grad assistant and recruiting coordinator.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 12:25 AM)mikey6866 Wrote: Allen to saints looks to be confirmed.  I have never seen on any site or an reports that callahan has been blocked.  Only thing that has come out was at senior bowl when bruce allen gave a no commital "he should be back" in regards to callahan.  Saying he should be back is far from saying they blocked an interview.

I can't find the PFR post (maybe it has since been taken down?) but it clearly stated that he was blocked from pursuing other OL jobs.

I know I'm not crazy lol
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2019, 04:50 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Swapping out Pollack for a guy I've never heard of is a bit disconcerting.  We'll see.  Taylor must think really highly of the guy.

martin is listed as an assistant so new OL guy isn't here yet
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 12:45 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: From Union College's website. (I am assuming this is the guy not 100% sure):

"Union College Head Football Coach Jeff Behrman announced the hiring of Ben Martin as the Offensive Coordinator and Offensive Line Coach on March 11, 2016.

"I am extremely proud that Ben Martin has accepted the Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line position at Union College," stated Behrman. "His coaching experience at every level of competitive football along with his experience as a Division III student-athlete will immediately benefit our program.  His success as a recruiter at the college level and his passion to mentor the Division III student-athlete were key qualities that stood out during the interview process."

Martin was an offensive assistant for the Dolphins in the 2014 and 2015 seasons. He served as an offensive line coach and run game coordinator at Wagner College in the 2013 season, and was at Princeton in 2012. Martin was an integral part of a Princeton program that posted its biggest turnaround in more than 20 years. The Tigers went 5-5 in Martin's one season there, including a 4-3 Ivy League record. These marks came one year after Princeton went 1-9 overall and1-6 in the Ivies. He also served for two seasons as Offensive Quality Control Coach at Texas A&M under Mike Sherman, who won three NFC North titles while as head coach of the Green Bay Packers.

Prior to his tenure at Texas A&M, Martin spent the 2008 and 2009 seasons as run-game/recruiting coordinator at Merrimack College, where he helped develop one of the nation's most prolific Division II offenses. During his second year, Merrimack won the Northeast -10 Conference title. Martin began his coaching career at Curry College as an offensive line/tight ends coach. Curry won a conference title in 2007 and earned its first playoff victory in school history. Before embarking on his collegiate coaching career, Martin graduated from Trinity College and was a standout offensive lineman. He helped the Bantams set a NESCAC record win streak while winning three conference titles prior to his 2005 graduation."

Looks like he worked under Mike Sherman. There's the connection. Do we bring in Mike Sherman as OL Coach?

Great stuff man, hope we bring in Sherman as our new O-line coach if Callahan really is blocked.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 10:06 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I can't find the PFR post (maybe it has since been taken down?) but it clearly stated that he was blocked from pursuing other OL jobs.

I know I'm not crazy lol

Yeah i stay pretty up to date and havent seen anything.  Ive seen that sites that say jay gruden is fine with him leaving it seems like upper mgmt may want compensation to let him leave.  In any case we could still see Callahan here.  The 49ers blocked their qb coach from interviewing in Denver and then a couple of days later changed their minds and now he is oc for Broncos.  I gotta believe were gonna try to pry Callahan.  Until our Oline coach is known there is still a decent chance it could be Callahan.
Reply/Quote
Is Martin the Assistant OL,coach or Assistant to the OL coach?

Dwight Schrute wants to know.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
Whelp Del Rio isnt coming...oh god hopefully its not Capers.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 11:47 AM)mikey6866 Wrote: Yeah i stay pretty up to date and havent seen anything.  Ive seen that sites that say jay gruden is fine with him leaving it seems like upper mgmt may want compensation to let him leave.  In any case we could still see Callahan here.  The 49ers blocked their qb coach from interviewing in Denver and then a couple of days later changed their minds and now he is oc for Broncos.  I gotta believe were gonna try to pry Callahan.  Until our Oline coach is known there is still a decent chance it could be Callahan.

Correct and the article(s) also stated that they were blocking him, hoping to get some compensation as a result.

Can't find that article either; I'm puzzled lol
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 12:53 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Correct and the article(s) also stated that they were blocking him, hoping to get some compensation as a result.

Maybe they took it down because it was fake news. Ninja

We can hope anyway. Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 12:53 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Correct and the article(s) also stated that they were blocking him, hoping to get some compensation as a result.

So they built a wall around him?  Ninja
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 12:50 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: Whelp Del Rio isnt coming...oh god hopefully its not Capers.

Why are people so down on Capers?

Reply/Quote
Dom Capers as a DC (from Wikipedia)

On January 19, 2009, Capers was named the Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator by head coach Mike McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson, where he replaced the 4-3 defense Green Bay had used since 1992 with the 3-4 he used in Miami.[3] Green Bay's defensive ranking in his first year improved to second in the league in 2009, from 21st in the league in 2008.[4]

On September 12, 2010, Capers' defense finished the season ranked 2nd in scoring defense, 5th in total defense, 2nd in interceptions, 2nd in sacks, and 1st in opposing quarterback passer rating, in spite of being decimated by injuries during the 2010 season.[5]

On February 6, 2011, Capers led a 5th ranked defensive squad and helped the Packers win the Super Bowl. During the playoff run his team had a pick 6 in the final 3 playoff games that year; Divisional Round (Williams), Championship game (Raji), and in Super Bowl 45 (Collins.)

On September 8, 2011, Capers began the year where his defense ranked last after finishing fifth the prior year.

Other than his final year it looks pretty damn good to me.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 01:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why are people so down on Capers?

Because he his the defensive equivalent to ben mcadoo.  Id rather go unproven than a proven scrub.  Dom Capers was good in Carolina about 20 years ago.  His last few years in GB were horrid.  He was their Marvin.  They felt they held onto him about 4-5 years too long.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 01:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dom Capers as a DC (from Wikipedia)

On January 19, 2009, Capers was named the Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator by head coach Mike McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson, where he replaced the 4-3 defense Green Bay had used since 1992 with the 3-4 he used in Miami.[3] Green Bay's defensive ranking in his first year improved to second in the league in 2009, from 21st in the league in 2008.[4]

On September 12, 2010, Capers' defense finished the season ranked 2nd in scoring defense, 5th in total defense, 2nd in interceptions, 2nd in sacks, and 1st in opposing quarterback passer rating, in spite of being decimated by injuries during the 2010 season.[5]

On February 6, 2011, Capers led a 5th ranked defensive squad and helped the Packers win the Super Bowl. During the playoff run his team had a pick 6 in the final 3 playoff games that year; Divisional Round (Williams), Championship game (Raji), and in Super Bowl 45 (Collins.)

On September 8, 2011, Capers began the year where his defense ranked last after finishing fifth the prior year.

Other than his final year it looks pretty damn good to me.

You are missing 2012-2017.  All bad years.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 01:42 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: You are missing 2012-2017.  All bad years.

Didn’t notice there was that many missing years. Still, lot of good on there.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 01:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why are people so down on Capers?

He really does suck.

He constantly trotted out terrible players that got accolades and spotlight, because they were shown on FOX 50 times a year, drafted overrated people like Raji and look at the defensive numbers in his tenure; just not good at all.
Reply/Quote
He was a great d coordinator until the nfl started changing. These days I dont want anything to do with him.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 01:47 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He really does suck.

He constantly trotted out terrible players that got accolades and spotlight, because they were shown on FOX 50 times a year, drafted overrated people like Raji and look at the defensive numbers in his tenure; just not good at all.

Lots of interest in a guy who sucks...

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Dom-Capers-interest-from-multiple-teams-128673084/

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 01:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Lots of interest in a guy who sucks...

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/Dom-Capers-interest-from-multiple-teams-128673084/

Hue, Lazor, Vance Joseph, all got more interviews (2+) than Capers has received (0) thus far and they all supposedly, "sucked."

But they all got interviews first. Why? Because maybe they don't suck and now that the good guys have all run their course, the shitty guys are getting a look?

That's how I see it; Del Rio turning it down tells me that he wasn't invested at all and now, we may have slim pickings, unless we grab someone unknown who is looking to make a name of himself.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 01:58 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Hue, Lazor, Vance Joseph, all got more interviews (2+) than Capers has received (0) thus far and they all supposedly, "sucked."

But they all got interviews first. Why? Because maybe they don't suck and now that the good guys have all run their course, the shitty guys are getting a look?

That's how I see it; Del Rio turning it down tells me that he wasn't invested at all and now, we may have slim pickings, unless we grab someone unknown who is looking to make a name of himself.

An unknown would be very concerning. Rookie HC, rookie OC...we need at least one veteran coach I would think.

Reply/Quote