Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James Rapien - Combine Player Meets for Bengals
James Rapien gives us a list of the players the Bengals were known to have met with at the Combine.
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/full-list-players-cincinnati-bengals-met-with-2023-nfl-combine

Dalton Kincaid, TE Utah
Sam Laporta, TE Iowa
Michael Mayer, TE Notre Dame
Darnell Washington, TE Georgia
Josh Whyle, TE UC

Zach Charbonnet, RB UCLA
Jahmyr Gibbs, RB Alabama
Cam Peoples, RB App St
Tavion Thomas, RB Utah

Emmanuel Forbes, CB Miss St
Clark Phillips, CB Utah
Kelee Ringo, CB Georgia
Garrett Williams, CB Syracuse

Richard Gouraige, OL Florida
Darnell Wright, OT Tennessee
Ivan Pace, LB UC
Antoine Green, WR UNC
Parker Washington, WR Penn St
Brian Bresee, DT Clemson
Gervon Dexter, DT Florida
Nolan Smith, EDGE Georgia

Any thoughts based on the guys/positions they met with?

Mine:
- With basically all their TEs hitting FA, they are doing their evals on early TEs. That doesn't mean they'll let Hurst walk in favor of a draft pick, but I could see them using the strength of the TEs in this draft class as a reason to not give too much money to Hurst or some other veteran TE.
- They could be eyeing another RB to replace Mixon or Perine
- CB and DT could be targets. Awuzie is in the last year of his contract and coming back from a season-ending injury. DJ Reader is in the final year of his contract, and BJ Hill's contract ends after 2024 season. Not surprised if they take one of these positions, if not both, in the draft.
- The WRs they met with indicate they are looking probably early Day 3 for someone who can be a depth guy but maybe get into a starting role in a year or two.
- The lack of OL gives me indication they either don't plan to look much at the draft for OL help, or it's a smokescreen (which they don't typically do).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Add CB Julius Brents out of K-State to the list. WalterFootball claims they met with him at the combine also.

Rapien's list is more up to date than Walter's though. Thanks for sharing.
Reply/Quote
His list, if I'm not mistaken, is entirely based on the tweets from Malik Wright. Not saying he's wrong but at some point, I think I also read we met with Izzy Abanikanda. So while extensive, we could have potentially met with people not reported.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 01:24 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: His list, if I'm not mistaken, is entirely based on the tweets from Malik Wright. Not saying he's wrong but at some point, I think I also read we met with Izzy Abanikanda. So while extensive, we could have potentially met with people not reported.

Well yes, as evidenced by this statement right here in the article...
Quote:While it's unclear how many formal meetings they had with players, which last 18 minutes a piece, we do know they met with 21 prospects, including plenty of tight ends, running backs and cornerbacks.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Although this isn't specific meetings I wanted to say I do like the new Senior Bowl format. They give all the prospects get 20ish minutes with every player there.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I hope they like what they heard from Jahmyr Gibbs and Darnell Washington
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Add Tucker Kraft TE Sout Dakota State. So they've officially had meetings with the top 6 TEs.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 11:52 AM)ochocincos Wrote: James Rapien gives us a list of the players the Bengals were known to have met with at the Combine.
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/full-list-players-cincinnati-bengals-met-with-2023-nfl-combine

Dalton Kincaid, TE Utah
Sam Laporta, TE Iowa
Michael Mayer, TE Notre Dame
Darnell Washington, TE Georgia
Josh Whyle, TE UC

So they somehow didn't connect with Tucker Kraft, South Dakota or Luke Musgrave, Oregon St and a few other TEs considered worthy of drafting. 

If Hurst walks and they have to make decision about Boyd and Higgins, I wonder if we'd ever see two TEs drafted like when the PAts took Gronk & Hernandez?

Grab Mayer or Washington in round 1 and then another TE in round 3.

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 04:29 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: So they somehow didn't connect with Tucker Kraft, South Dakota or Luke Musgrave, Oregon St and a few other TEs considered worthy of drafting. 

If Hurst walks and they have to make decision about Boyd and Higgins, I wonder if we'd ever see two TEs drafted like when the PAts took Gronk & Hernandez?

Tucker Kraft was added to the list.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/report-bengals-formally-met-with-popular-tight-end-tucker-kraft-at-2023-nfl-combine

And they met with Luke Musgrave at the Senior Bowl along with every prospect there.

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 04:29 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: So they somehow didn't connect with Tucker Kraft, South Dakota or Luke Musgrave, Oregon St and a few other TEs considered worthy of drafting. 

Slow down there, Tecmo.  They've got too many other positions that need addressed to be doubling down on TE on the first two nights of the draft.  If they're planning on allowing starting defensive players to walk in free agency, then I certainly hope that they plan on restocking those positions in the draft.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 04:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Slow down there, Tecmo.  They've got too many other positions that need addressed to be doubling down on TE on the first two nights of the draft.  If they're planning on allowing starting defensive players to walk in free agency, then I certainly hope that they plan on restocking those positions in the draft.

Yep exactly.
We need to see how FA plays out before determining exactly what luxuries can happen in the draft, as there are more potential openings than there are draft picks right now.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 04:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Slow down there, Tecmo.  They've got too many other positions that need addressed to be doubling down on TE on the first two nights of the draft.  If they're planning on allowing starting defensive players to walk in free agency, then I certainly hope that they plan on restocking those positions in the draft.

I know, I know. I was having a fantasy-GM moment. Let me have my moment lol.
Reply/Quote
I like all those players. Sure sounds like we are going to take a TE in either the 1st or 2nd round looking at all the top guys.

I like Darnell Washington if we go with a TE at 28, still want the other Darnell more though for the OL. A draft of Darnell Wright,
Jahmyr Gibbs and Josh Whyle to start would sure help the Offense. I might take Chase Brown over Gibbs though just because of
pass protection.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 12:51 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Add CB Julius Brents out of K-State to the list.  WalterFootball claims they met with him at the combine also.

Rapien's list is more up to date than Walter's though.  Thanks for sharing.

I like Brents a lot and feel he could play some safety as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 01:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I hope they like what they heard from Jahmyr Gibbs and Darnell Washington

Washington in 1 and Gibbs in 2?
Reply/Quote

Lou Anarumo needs to be given whatever he needs to succeed.  If not for him this team doesnt make the Super Bowl nor do they beat Baltimore in the 1st round this year.  People like to talk about the offense but Lou's defense has carried this team.
Reply/Quote
Considering all these meetings, I have to imagine that if we bring Hurst back for a short deal and draft our future #1 TE this year.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2023, 05:39 PM)pulses Wrote: Washington in 1 and Gibbs in 2?

I don't think Gibbs makes it to #60, but the Bengals have shown they will trade up on the 2nd. With the depth at TE this year we might be able to go Gibbs 1, Washington 2
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 12:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't think Gibbs makes it to #60, but the Bengals have shown they will trade up on the 2nd. With the depth at TE this year we might be able to go Gibbs 1, Washington 2

I'd also be content if they landed Gibbs and then a Laporta-type TE in round 3 or Washington and then a RB like Chase Brown.

A Gibbs/Washington haul seems like the draft-gods favored the Bengals. I don't know if the draft falls to make this happen.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2023, 12:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't think Gibbs makes it to #60, but the Bengals have shown they will trade up on the 2nd. With the depth at TE this year we might be able to go Gibbs 1, Washington 2

(03-08-2023, 12:36 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'd also be content if they landed Gibbs and then a Laporta-type TE in round 3 or Washington and then a RB like Chase Brown.

A Gibbs/Washington haul seems like the draft-gods favored the Bengals. I don't know if the draft falls to make this happen.

I'm of the same sentiment that it would be sheer luck that Bengals could nab both Gibbs and Washington.
I would consider them both as late 1st rounders or, at worst, early 2nd rounders.

If I got to have a choice, I'd lean TE before a RB unless the RB was Bijan Robinson.

I will be really curious to see if the Bengals re-sign Hurst or not, and for how long.
FA can't come soon enough! One week from today!
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote