Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James Urban leaves to the Ravens - New QB Coach
(01-05-2018, 06:29 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I don't see anyone being bummed out about it

(01-05-2018, 06:36 PM)N_B Wrote: There was some stuff from Dehner about him being well respected around the league.  Another poster mentioned that he thought the board thought highly of him.

What I think Xeno is getting at, is the fact that in recent years, Urban has done little with what he was provided to work with.  In just the past two years, he was given Boyd, Core, Ross, Malone, and Wright.  All fantastic athletes.  And thus far, it's taken until the end of his second season with the team for Boyd to look like an impact player.  Malone, another guy that should have risen fast this season, a very small impact.  Big time Ross?  Lol!  Glad that Core and Wright at least got to leave town to seek other options.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I thought he did a fine job with Sanu/Marvin Jones and Green. But our wideouts haven't developed the last couple years. Maybe they faulted him.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Hate to hear it. He's a good coach, and has produced some decent receivers. Personally I'm guessing he's a victim of Marvin's 'play the vet first' mantra.
Reply/Quote
Ehhh..just more rearranging of the deck seats on the Titanic for both teams. Hey! Put the seat over there and see if the hole in the hull will seal itself up! No? How about over there instead..Let's just wait 100 years and try again after they pull the ship up to the surface..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
This kind of screams complete offensive overhaul to me! Hopefully this ends the 3rd & 10 Wr screens! I wonder what is going on for the line coach though? Still quiet on the D side of the ball. Maybe they can only blow up so much at one time....
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 07:03 PM)jj22 Wrote: I thought he did a fine job with Sanu/Marvin Jones and Green. But our wideouts haven't developed the last couple years. Maybe they faulted him.

Maybe Sanu & Jones were already developped? They've been arguably better since they left...
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 07:42 PM)Funkysylvanelf Wrote: Maybe Sanu & Jones were already developped? They've been arguably better since they left...

In my honest opinion, Sanu was underdeveloped, during his time with the Bengals.  Why?  Because he occasionally drops an easily catchable ball.  Dude can also make some fantastic, one handed grabs, and bowl through DBs like a bull in a china shop.  He throws a pretty good pass, too.  Still, even in Atlanta, he's the 3rd option.

Jones was a fine receiver, coming straight out of college.  10 TDs his rookie year?  Then injuries, etc.  By the time he made it back to full health, he wanted to be a WR1, and rightfully so.  However, he's had a big game here and there with Detroit, but not the consistent big numbers like I would have expected from him.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
two offensive linemen and some help defensively in the middle..linebacker..this team will be fine...Now..that Browns stepson j/k

has left//piano man was a troublemaker
Reply/Quote
get some draft picks for Mc carron..at least one..I love Jeff Driscoll..reminds me of a mobile Ben R.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 08:12 PM)cooper Wrote: two offensive linemen  and some help defensively in the middle..linebacker..this team will be fine...Now..that Browns stepson j/k

has left//piano man was  a troublemaker

(01-05-2018, 08:13 PM)cooper Wrote: get some  draft picks for Mc carron..at least one..I love Jeff Driscoll..reminds me of a mobile Ben R.

Hey Cooper, wrong thread.  This is about James Urban going to the Ravens, to be their QB coach.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'm not mad at all about urban leaving, I don't think our receivers was that good until 2015 ,that took sanu and Marvin Jones year 3 to be at their best for us. I remember i couldn't stand Jones his rookie year. Our receivers always takes a few years to develop ,look at Boyd, I see him being better in his 3rd year, also did he have input on bringing lafell in? Horrible move he's been hogging #2 spot ,when he's getting 10 targets that's not good for your offense.and also screens to lafell when you have john Ross who could of got them.im hoping on a better qb coach and better wr coach . And hopefully a more aggressive defensive coordinator,and of course a better o line coach who can recognize talent.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 07:24 PM)grampahol Wrote: Ehhh..just more rearranging of the deck seats on the Titanic for both teams. Hey! Put the seat over there and see if the hole in the hull will seal itself up! No? How about over there instead..Let's just wait 100 years and try again after they pull the ship up to the surface..

Just as long as no one offers to draw Katie like one of Jack's French girls Sick  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Is he leaving because he wanted out or to be a QB coach or is he leaving because he was not asked to stay?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 06:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What I think Xeno is getting at, is the fact that in recent years, Urban has done little with what he was provided to work with.  In just the past two years, he was given Boyd, Core, Ross, Malone, and Wright.  All fantastic athletes.  And thus far, it's taken until the end of his second season with the team for Boyd to look like an impact player.  Malone, another guy that should have risen fast this season, a very small impact.  Big time Ross?  Lol!  Glad that Core and Wright at least got to leave town to seek other options.

WTF! When did we release Core?
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 05:39 PM)phil413 Wrote: I'd have to think if you polled this board a year ago the best assistants would be Urban, Guenther and Simmons.  2 out of 3 are gone, that looks bad.  Losing Alexander might make up for those two losses though.

But being the best assistant coaches here is kind of like being one of the smartest kids on the short bus.......  hopefully we're finally bringing in guys that know how to coach guys to play at a high level.

TJ was a technician and could be good.  Normally, I'd be against a guy that's never coached before, but he's not your typical flashy receiver that just relied on athletic ability and he actually knows the Xs and Os.

I like that we're cleaning house with the coaches, even if they left "voluntarily," because we need new blood and we need to be more fresh-minded.  We need energy and coaches that can at least keep the guys upbeat and, in this case, know what it's like to be out on the field and know how what it takes to be a good receiver.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 10:43 PM)McC Wrote: Is he leaving because he wanted out or to be a QB coach or is he leaving because he was not asked to stay?

They said they wanted him back.  He worked previously with Harbaugh and his new OC Morningweh.  And QB coach is a faster route to OC.  He may have felt that for him to raise his profile around the league he needed end to make a change

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 11:49 PM)TKUHL Wrote: WTF! When did we release Core?

Thats what I was thinking. According to the stats he is still with us
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 11:49 PM)TKUHL Wrote: WTF! When did we release Core?

(01-06-2018, 10:18 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: Thats what I was thinking. According to the stats he is still with us

Yep, my mistake. But the premise of the rest of the post still stands. Urban has been given plenty of material to work with, yet those guys still remain unproductive.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Jon Kitna is easily the best choice to be the new QB coach. Former Bengal under Marvin, experience at the position, previously coached (albeit high school), and will probably come cheap.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2018, 05:23 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I'd give Housh an interview.

Does he have coaching experience?
Reply/Quote